• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Learning to lathe [things]

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Learning to lathe

will,

Sometimes the simplest solution can be the hardest to find. :ohgeez:

That's a great idea, I have no idea why I couldn't figure that out myself.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

yclo said:
Thanks Anglepoise, will try that when I attempt my next knurl.

PhotonFanatic - engrave something on the bottom and you have a nice stamp! :D

I read somewhere that you shouldn't apply too much pressure on a thin walled part, now I know why... :banghead:

312790623_e48d14fa2e_o.jpg

-YC

We have all done it. Lots of time spend boring out , only to have it all collapse.
Get all the knurling done before boring. Also any deep grooving or anything that might catch an edge. You would be amazed how lightly it is possible to grip a thin wall part, as long as the cut is oh so very light and keep the speed up.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what I'm talking about...AWESOME!!!

I gotta make one of those, I think it can be accomplished with a 5C collet block set...

Nice lay-down threading tool holder...looks to be a carbide shank.

TB

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase said:
That's what I'm talking about...AWESOME!!!

I gotta make one of those, I think it can be accomplished with a 5C collet block set...

Nice lay-down threading tool holder...looks to be a carbide shank.

TB

A lesson to the wise: Never order a part without knowing the price beforehand. :lolsign:

Yes, it is a beautiful solid carbide bar--and it only cost me $250!

Of course it is as solid as a rock, so I can't complain, just whimper about the price. :D

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

PhotonFanatic said:
A lesson to the wise: Never order a part without knowing the price beforehand. :lolsign:

Yes, it is a beautiful solid carbide bar--and it only cost me $250!

Of course it is as solid as a rock, so I can't complain, just whimper about the price. :D

just don't drop it ...

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another day, another chance to play with the lathe.
biggrin.gif

I had agreed to thread some cut-down Mag D tubes for cy, but of course I had no clue how difficult it could be to work with tubes of such large diameter, well they are large compared to what I had been working on, i.e., 1" or less diameter.

Well, while doing the job, I screwed up one of the cut-down pieces, so just for fun I wanted to see how easy it might be to bore out the Mag D. Here is the original wall thickness:

lathe-pics-001.jpg

lathe-pics-002.jpg

Then I just took a bunch off until it looked as thin as I'd want it to go (without regard to threading, mind you):

lathe-pics-004.jpg

lathe-pics-003.jpg

OK, what did I learn today? That these cut-down tubes are easier to work with if you use internal chucking instead of trying to hold them on their exteriors:
lathe-pics-008.jpg

Still a pain to work with, especially if you are trying to thread the tailcap threads, i.e., you can't use a center to support the piece. Still, the results are tolerable:

lathe-pics-005.jpg

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

PhotonFanatic said:
OK, what did I learn today? That these cut-down tubes are easier to work with if you use internal chucking instead of trying to hold them on their exteriors:
lathe-pics-008.jpg

Still a pain to work with, especially if you are trying to thread the tailcap threads, i.e., you can't use a center to support the piece. Still, the results are tolerable:

lathe-pics-005.jpg

It's even easier if you make a set of soft jaws that allow you to hold on the outside and have the end just out side the jaws. Like this...

sm_DSC00475.jpg

Oh and don't forget the little bevel right on the inside edge of the tail cap end. It helps guide the O-ring in.

Same thread job as above hit with a gray Scotch Brite for a few seconds.

sm_DSC00492.jpg

MM

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mirage_Man said:
It's even easier if you make a set of soft jaws that allow you to hold on the outside and have the end just out side the jaws. Like this...

sm_DSC00475.jpg

. . .

MM

Brian,

That's fine, if you have a big lathe and a big chuck, both with bores large enough to accommodate the diameter of the Mag. Unfortunately, the bore on my lathe is 20mm max.

Good reminder on the bevel for the O-ring, thanks.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fred, I know you're having fun, and I also know how exciting it is to try new methods and different new tooling etc., but that method of chucking a long part is very dangerous...If you need to chuck a long part using that same method, because the I.D. size limit of you chuck, use a steady rest to support the end you're working on.

Even at a low spindle speed, if that part lets loose...look out!

This is 'been there, done that' talking...Two four foot fluorescent tubes smashed just above my head, from a wild part...Safety glasses are only marginal protection from hundreds of thin, and tiny shards of flying glass. And it all happens in a split second.

Scott

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase said:
Fred, I know you're having fun, and I also know how exciting it is to try new methods and different new tooling etc., but that method of chucking a long part is very dangerous...If you need to chuck a long part using that same method, because the I.D. size limit of you chuck, use a steady rest to support the end you're working on.

Even at a low spindle speed, if that part lets loose...look out!

This is 'been there, done that' talking...Two four foot fluorescent tubes smashed just above my head, from a wild part...Safety glasses are only marginal protection from hundreds of thin, and tiny shards of flying glass. And it all happens in a split second.

Scott

I have to second this. when something comes off the lathe - it tends to snap very quickly, no time to react and get out of the way. I do my work standing to the side, not directly in line with the work being cut. I worked as a machinist for a few years, (I still have all my fingers)

I have a mini-lathe here at home. I was able to bore out the chuck about 1/8 inch so I could fit the barrel of a mini-mag inside. You might be able to the same. I only bored out the chuck, not the tube that goes through the headstock. This worked very nicely for me, it might not on the lathe you have.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to thank TB and will for pointing out how dangerous a lathe can be, especially when you are learning on your own, or through books only.

Needless to say, I have had mishaps, almost all of them resulting from either misusing a tool, or taking too deep a cut on an unstable piece.

I do try to be real careful, double or triple checking the chucking tightness, runout, clearance, etc., etc., and most importantly, I try to keep my hands away from any spinning part.

So far, so good.

OK and now today's lesson.
biggrin.gif

Wanted to try an idea that I had for a head which would involve cutting on an angle and then feeding a tool into the tapered part to create a pattern. Worked pretty good until it came time to part it off, when I decided to try a new parting tool. Mistake! I should have practiced with the new tool on just a plain bar first, not on my almost complete part. Another day, another lesson learned. :-(

Still I managed to salvage enough to say that I do want to try this as a production idea:

RobertosLight-008.jpg

And from a different angle:
RobertosLight-012.jpg

Sorry about the focus! And finally, my last chance to bore you to tears. :lolsign:

RobertosLight-007.jpg

In case you were wondering, no, the head was not designed for a CR2 light, something much bigger really. I just used the CR2 battery since the proto fit so well on it.

Last edited:

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been caught out a number of times in turning an external groove, only to 'part' the item. This can be a very time consuming error if one has done extensive machining on the part all ready.

Lately I have been designing my parts on paper first and my 'error rate' has dropped right down.
Also its nice to have a record of parts, particularly flashlight bits that one might need to duplicate at a later date,

Solid Works (Edit: sorry Solid Edge ) is now a free download and I found it relatively easy to learn.

example.jpg

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic

PhotonFanatic said:
Right, and it is only 239MB! Be prepared to have that take a while. :D
That depends. I have Verizon FIOS at 15Mbit/s for downloads - it took about 2 minutes and 5 seconds for the complete download :naughty:

BROADBAND RULES :rock:

Will

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fred, your "Learning to Lathe" thread has been killing me to follow along in the shadows and read!:rant: So :p ........ not as sweet as I wanted to get but..........

Kenster has a Lathe on it`s way!:grin2:

My questions will be dumb of course, but I hope I can get guidance while learning from you and these other "Masters":bow:

Ken:naughty: