LED driver input voltage?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly, min/max might be determined. What is the specific driver? Part of it depends on identifying driver chip(s) and other components, and getting their datasheets. Image if possible could be helpful.

Unfortunately a lot of driver chips used in flashlights and other small dc LED devices either
have "pseudo" markings which are hard to impossible to trace, or no marking at all
(presumably to protect the design from copying).

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave, I'm trying to determine the maximum input for a mag ML 50L with 3-C cells. Using Oldlumens video I'm going to try and get the driver out and make detailed photos.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
What were you planning to run it on, which would exceed 4.5v? Two series Li-ion of some size, going up to around 8.4v?

Could this be helpful?

Dave

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wont be any brighter, even if the driver survives higher voltage,

I'm happy with the lumen output already. I would really like to be able to run this light on a pair of protected 21700 Li-ions. In a perfect world I would try to run it on a pair of LithiumWerks 26650 LiFePo4s. However, the tube is slightly too small or the batteries are slightly too large.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too long, or too wide?

If just slightly too wide in diameter, removing the label stickers could do the difference. ?

... then removing an outside layer, when there are 2, or removing the shrink wrap and "installing" a new one from a thinner kind (when the original is a thick one)

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I was thinking, 2x 26650 (or 26700, is that workable?) works out to about 3C, though I don't have any 3C lights.

I'd keep looking for someone who has done this specific change. Otherwise you'd have to do a possibly destructive test (not recommended), or dive into driver details which may or may not give a solid answer.

The 3AAA zoomie I accidentally damaged had voltage applied approximately in range of two Li-ion cells (maybe higher but don't recall). I suspect some drivers working at 4.5v might be good to 6v, but maybe not much higher.

Dave

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it is not workable, 26xxx do not fit into C mag tube,