LED fell off and it was CPF'ed back on.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED fell off

Fritz will get it done, don't sweat it OP! Might even be better than it was before! :)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

Light is set to arrive this Tues.
Will be replacing with xm-l2 u2 6c4 dedome.
Possible driver replacement depending on stock light design and lightwriters desire.
Will have copper sink pad with arctic silver II adhesive.
....any other tweaks will depend on stock lights specs.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, light arrived today & upon first glance inspection....
No heatsink grease between led star and heatsink, or between LE and body.... Star was visibly bent from insertion and NOT even fully pressed down to the heatsink..... Solder paste was still paste!!!! If this was an authentic cree xml2, their manf'g standards have declined greatly! I'm guessing 2nd party reflowing.
I'm thinking we've found the problem.

Needless to say, a new LED on a copper star with proper thermal paste will be the answer. Afterwards, I'll test and check switch function and then see if OP wants any other upgrades.
Tbh, this is actually a Damn nice host, too bad some company decided to cut corners.
I'll post pix after it's functional again.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

And it's fixed.

Photobucket is messing up on me so no pix till it's working (and that's not my dept! Lol).

Thank you for helping the guy out, even though it seems to be in rougher shape than described.

I appreciate your effort.

Chris

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for helping the guy out, even though it seems to be in rougher shape than described.

I appreciate your effort.

Chris

No prob! Wasn't that bad, just a faulty LED reflow and a little poor manf. tol.
I filed the New star so it would fit properly and made sure thermal path was correct. I have a drawer full of xml2s so it's not like I had to special order anything, lol.
I think OP will be happy with the result. The stock LED was not the best bin (as you could imagine), a low CRI very very bluish (I'd guess near 7k!) So icky light imho. Now has a dedomed 3.5k 90min CRI in it. Throws quite well for what it is and now colors will look much better as well.
:)
What are we flashaholics here for if not to help the unenlightened?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, this is what I figured would happen! :) So no beamshot pics? Just kidding!

Great work Fritz!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

LE

New LED reflow into copper star. (Sry it's so blurry)

Light reassembled

Indoor beamshot (was still light outside) taken with phn cam so auto everything

Shot to show pwm. Fairly high rate so pulse effect should be fairly low. Actually kinda surprised, I'd have thought it would have been much worse!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heh, op should edit the thread title to "LED fell off and it was CPF'ed back on." :)

Awesome.

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened

Heh, op should edit the thread title to "LED fell off and it was CPF'ed back on." :)

Awesome.

I tried editing title but I don't think I can.

Anyways, been away for a while but turnaround was quick. I sent it out on 9/19. Post office said expected arrival was Tuesday. Instead I get an email from FRITZHID that it arrived on Monday! He did his magic and I got the light back to me on Thursday 9/24!

I haven't taken pics yet but my mom likes the brightness. She will be the primary user of the light and it's mostly for taking the dog out at night. The light she was using was a yellow 2D Rayovac industrial flashlight with a Dorcy 30-lumen LED drop in that I had put in. It wasn't bright enough for her.

I don't remember ever using my dad's light so I don't have a baseline to compare it to. The tint makes it look like a bright incan flashlight. I don't think my mom cares about the tint (the Dorcy LED is whiter but output isn't great in the Rayovac) as long at the light works. I don't know the exact model of that flashlight as it's no longer sold at Home Depot but the brand is "Defiant". It would be interesting to see if anyone else has the same model to see if my dad's light was a lemon or if that company has quality control issues.

Thanks again to FRITZHID! Even though he was on the other side of the country he was able to help me. He kept me informed and I had no worries at all.

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened

Also, just curious how you guys ship big flashlights. I initially tried sending it in a 3M padded envelope from Walmart and the post office lady said it should be in a box. I ended up using a 3" diameter mailing tube from Office Depot. It was 36" long but I cut it in half and mailed the light in the resulting 18" long tube. The light was wrapped in bubble wrap. One way postage was $11.75.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried editing title but I don't think I can.
Click on "Edit Post" on post #1, click "Advanced." That's where you change thread title, if that's what you'd like. :)

I don't remember ever using my dad's light so I don't have a baseline to compare it to. The tint makes it look like a bright incan flashlight. I don't think my mom cares about the tint (the Dorcy LED is whiter but output isn't great in the Rayovac) as long at the light works. I don't know the exact model of that flashlight as it's no longer sold at Home Depot but the brand is "Defiant". It would be interesting to see if anyone else has the same model to see if my dad's light was a lemon or if that company has quality control issues.

Defiant is nominally a budget brand. They used a cheap emitter. What Fritz dropped in there made it better than before. Also, it's no longer a budget light anymore. :)
Also, just curious how you guys ship big flashlights. I initially tried sending it in a 3M padded envelope from Walmart and the post office lady said it should be in a box. I ended up using a 3" diameter mailing tube from Office Depot. It was 36" long but I cut it in half and mailed the light in the resulting 18" long tube. The light was wrapped in bubble wrap. One way postage was $11.75.

The shipping spiel:
1. Is the packed weight under 13 oz? First class mail. USPS has no "dimensional weight" on FCM. That is to say, as long as it's under 13 oz, doesn't matter how big the box is. Understanding FCM will save you massive cash if you ship a lot of stuff. I am set up as a shipper and get a killer rate on FCM. 3oz or less, it's $2.04 any size. Insurance to $100 is .80 cents extra.

2. Is the packed weight over 13oz but under 4lbs? I go calculated priority mail. Flat rate boxes are a ripoff unless your shipping a solid block of metal or a box full of bolts or something like that. A 10"x7"x3" standard USPS box at one pound is $5.54 with a baseline $50 insurance included in that deal. Calculated priority mail DOES have dimensional weight. It's a double edged sword trying to pack in too small of a box. If the parts are less than 2" away from the side of the box, they can use that as an excuse not to pay insurance if they feel like it. Note that a 10x7x3 box CANNOT have the parts more than 2" from the side of the box.

3. Parcel Select. It's worth checking to see if you get a better rate or not by Parcel Select (slow boat) vs Calculated Priority Mail. In my experience, Parcel Select is not always cheaper. Often times with small packages, Priority can actually be cheaper (!?!?!?) than Parcel Select. As the weight goes up, Parcel Select usually becomes cheaper. Parcel Select has dimensional weight like Priority.

4. UPS. When the weight of the package exceeds 4lbs and is a large box, it's worth checking what the UPS rate is. When you go to the UPS store, you get the maximum screwing. They will not optimize anything. They'll throw it in whatever. They do not care. An actual UPS shipper can hand-pick just the right box, giving you insurance protection, parts not less than 2" from the side of the box, minimal additional dimensional weight fees and so forth. A UPS shipper pays less than what the UPS store will charge you to ship. A UPS shipper also receives money back at the end of the month (incentives) provided they didn't screw up and get hit with "adjustment" fees. This is how a UPS store works.

Questions? BTW, I'm going to cross post this to the post office thread.

Last edited:

xzel87

Enlightened

What a warm-feeling-inducing thread.

OP I hope your mom enjoys the light for many, many years to come.

Surprisingly, that light had worse QC than many budget chinese lights manufactured nowadays with that kinda price tag.