LED lights from a cavers viewpoint

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Mooreshire, what a cool little video... That must be a blast in a cave. Everything old is new again. Never knew about RGB modules.

I love it! It was built (by the honorable Sir Lord Biffington III across the pond from me at customduo.co.uk) and referred to as a portable cheesy tourist cave light show. More like a portable acid trip formulated for best use in the loveliest places on earth. Several modes including two color memory slots for constant single colors, two speeds of fading, and two speeds of blinking. I can't wait to try light-painting photography with it.

I currently cave with a Zebralight H600w as my primary. I love it! [......] I hate spending money on things, but I don't regret investing in a H600w at all.

By the way, cave digging is my passion as well. Dig on, brother! I Hope you get some glorious virgin booty, and I hope you find the perfect light for you!! :)

The search for the perfect light will be a lifetime exercise in futility I expect.:devil: No question that the H600W makes a fine primary light in and of itself - I maintain something just shy of four entire sets of basic caving gear, some marked as loaner equipment (cute girls only, guys can go buy cotton coveralls and walmart lights - no I jest), and some simply marked as bat illness prevention quarantined for use in only one region (like right across the Canadian border where their policy is no US caving gear allowed period unless it's unused or used only there). I've barely gotten a chance to join in the local digging since moving from limestone Pennsylvania to igneous Washington. One legendary local caver is responsible for uncovering some 200 or so of the nearly 400 caves at the base of one of our volcanoes, and I've yet to join him in his weekly escapades.

Considering the closeness in price between the Apex Pro and the H600W, the Zebralight has inherited the title of my go-to suggestion as a new headlamp for anyone going underground. That might change when my friends all start shining theirs in my face!

kevinm

Enlightened
Have you guys taken a look at the Petzl Pixa Pro headlights? They aren't the brightest, but work on AAs and by the specs, it looks as though they're made to take a beating.

I've played with one. They are tough, but I doubt any tougher than a Zebralight, at least in nonhazardous (toxic) conditions. Plus, they are REALLY dim by the standards we use.

Latest posts