LED Replacement for Outdoor Security Area Light Fixture

BlakeL

Newly Enlightened
When my wife and I bought our house three years ago, there was a cheap outdoor light in the backyard. We started using it about a year ago and lately, I've noticed that it makes a ton of noise (Ballast?) and probably needs to be replaced. I would love to keep the fixture and retrofit some sort of high wattage led with similar output. Any suggestions? I've seen some powerful LED's on eBay and dx.com but I'm just not sure exactly what I should get.

The light looks very similar to this:
Photo%20Nov%2025%2C%2010%2047%2058%20AM.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lithon...light-discontinued-oal-70s-120-per-lp-m2.html

Last edited:

BlakeL

Newly Enlightened
I linked the picture to my public Dropbox. I hope that's alright. Thanks Norm.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an HID fixture with a light sensor on top. Why not pull the guts and set it up as a metal halide HID?

BlakeL

Newly Enlightened
Looks like an HID fixture with a light sensor on top. Why not pull the guts and set it up as a metal halide HID?

I was hoping for something that would draw less power and I'm defiantly not looking to upgrade to something brighter or with a loud ballast because the light is right outside my daughters bedroom.

BlakeL

Newly Enlightened
Any other suggestions? I was thinking of going with some cheap LED Flood lights on DX.com or ebay buy I wanted something less directional.

SemiMan

Banned
Check out the LED version of your fixture by MaxLite. http://www.maxlite.com/products/led-high-mount-area-light It is only 30 watts, last 50k hours and is the equivalent of a 150w HPS. If you think it works you can get a price from www.AccessFixtures.com [email protected] Price should be under $200.00.

No 30W LED light really replaces a 150W HPS. It may be bright right around the light, but the total light output is way less so you need to consider how you are going to use it.

As with anything electrical, I do shy away from no name untested stuff off Ebay as it only takes one fire to ruin your day. That said, a cheap say 50-75W LED flood is likely going to make you quite happy in comparison.

Semiman

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Check out the LED version of your fixture by MaxLite. http://www.maxlite.com/products/led-high-mount-area-light It is only 30 watts, last 50k hours and is the equivalent of a 150w HPS. If you think it works you can get a price from www.AccessFixtures.com [email protected] Price should be under $200.00.

I am curious about your relationship with AccessFixtures. You have only posted in 2 threads, each time you ask the person to contact this compay for purchasing the product.

You may wish to read rule #6 in the TOS.

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened

Hi Kingofwylietx,

I sent you a Private Message............please let me know if you got it....

Kind Regards,
Chris