LED Stars with on board drivers

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cold fusion X has a shop on fleabay where they sell luxeon like stars with on board circuits. Any body try them yet? At $13.25 I may be tempted to put my toe in the water anyway. So what if I have to do without a few beers a couple of days next week. :D

COMMANDR

Enlightened
I saw them yesterday for the first time on fleabay and wondered if they were worth buying. If you guinea pig these please let me know for I look for some red, green and blue luxeon 3 watt led for a project.

Gary

Robban

Enlightened
Dang, the soldering job on those look worse than when I get the old iron out...

TMorita

Enlightened
Robban said:
Dang, the soldering job on those look worse than when I get the old iron out...

Yeah, I looked at those solder joints and thinking it looked like they hired a three-year old to solder their boards...

No offense meant to any three-year-olds out there...

Toshi

Tritium

Enlightened
I believe it was AW that had these in 350ma and 700ma a year or more ago but you had to add your own emitter. I have 10 of those on hand.

Thurmond

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imagine one of those with a SSC driven to 700 ma? dealextreme would be flooded with orders of direct drive lights.

AlexGT

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the guy that runs the shop, bought quite a bit of stuff from him last year, and expect to order more from him in the near future. His prices are good and some of the stuff is decent to excellent quality for the price.

Got one of these to play with. Let's just say I was less impressed with it than with anything else I bought from him, and I won't be ordering any more of this particular item.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
They arrived today. Better build than the photos show. Not terribly bright on 2 AAA's. have not measured current yet. Not even warm after 20 minutes with no sink except the star board.

OK but not spectacular. Not 3 watt by the looks either.

OK i read the listing again. It needs 3.6-6 volts. that's gonna make it better. I'll kick it up a notch. Maybe a metal gear.....

Last edited:

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
So what's the LED on here, just something generic that is closer to a 1 Watt? This looks like something that would be perfect for simple mods with a Cree, driven by a 3.7V battery like the 18650.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those cold solder joints are typical of modern electronics. I wonder if it has to do more with lead-free "RoHS" solders, low workforce skill, combination of both??