lets play "Guess the Knurling"

katsyonak

Enlightened
enter Exhibit G:

111newsb3.jpg

Exhibit G looks also like the Dexlight Sapphire Crystal 3W 16-mode CREE AA/14500, but that too doesn't have that many rows (7 on the tube and 4 on the tail)...

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... I suppose exhibit O is a PEU custom body? :cool:

Is exhibit P a McGiz of some sort? I'll guess a McLux Ti PD.

And here are answers to mine:

K: SL ProPoly
L: SL Scorpion LED
M: PEU 18650 D-Mini body
N: SL TL-3

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I was wrong about M then. I thought it was the same thing as O.

Hint #5 :

O was built by someone in law enforcement.

Very good guess on the P but you just have to get in the "way back" machine to identify this treasure of flashlight history.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't at the moment think of any LEO CPFers who make custom lights like that. :thinking:

Could exhibit P be a LarryLight??

Exhibit Q (and yes, it is a flashlight):

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
O's knurling was first seen on a custom built for very important people as the target adopters. The model seen here is a later, completely different iteration that runs on Li-Ion cells. This particular torch is somewhat rare because it is raw Al. The production lights were anodized. One of my favorite treatments because it is finned and knurled.

P has a clip with some laser engraved text on it along with the year of production and a skunk-like logo.

With a scanner, exhibits O and P.

VIP3.jpg

A half outta gas ROP is being shown at the one above.

McLux.jpg

That freaky color is the scanner boggled over the auxiliary light from a Q5.

Q - long shot guess. PEU is the only builder I recall that works with wood. Really cool photo, BTW.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't Mr. Bulk an LEO? Perhaps exhibit O is a LionCub.

Is exhibit P a Skunklights McLux PD?

Nope, Q isn't one of PEU's. FWIW, will also works with wood (exotic wood Minimags and Solitaires), but it's not his work either. There IS a thread about this light, both here on CPF and over at FNF.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... I don't even know what TK stands for. I feel like such a n00b... :ohgeez:

PEU's work looks GOOD. To guess exhibit Q, you'll need to set your sights a little lower. :laughing: As a hint, I'll tell you that I took that photo, and there's only one of those lights in existence (the proto, if you will). Oh, and it's about 450W.

:crackup: Illum - as my parents say, "if it was a snake, it would have bitten you." That one was a toughie. Look over your ProPoly with a magnifying glass...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember that wooden hand held sleeper light, I can't remember who made it, but I remember he had a lot of cells housed in a wooden box.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you continue to puzzle over Exhibit Q, allow me to add Exhibit R:

And, once again, it is indeed a flashlight.

Illum

Flashaholic
And, once again, it is indeed a flashlight.

jeez TigerHawk, none of us will know the names of your mod/homemade lights:laughing:
for all I know its a picture of your bed with a flashlight modded to it:grin2:
as for the knurling...I'm guessing its honed on the side and polished on top:ohgeez:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
jeez TigerHawk, none of us will know the names of your mod/homemade lights:laughing:
for all I know its a picture of your bed with a flashlight modded to it:grin2:
as for the knurling...I'm guessing its honed on the side and polished on top:ohgeez:
:laughing: You've got a point there. Here's the general area where you'll find it.

No honing or polishing. The tools I used were a hacksaw, a dremel cutting disc, a drill and tap, a screwdriver, and my trusty soldering iron.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna take a guess and say that that light doesn't have knurling.

Disqualified! =P

:shrug:
Interesting point. Does the light have to be deliberately knurled, or can a sufficiently rough and grippy surface count as well?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dictionary says a knurl is "a small ridge or bead, esp. one of a series, as on a button for decoration or on the edge of a thumbscrew to assist in obtaining a firm grip."

:thinking:

It sounds like it needs to be purposely made to me. :shrug:

Latest posts