Li-Ion 18650 USB rechargeable headlamp

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy my first headlamp and have decided I want one based on a single 18650 Li-Ion battery (battery and lamp in single pack), that's USB rechargeable. It has to be somewhat rugged (aluminium) and waterproof.

So far I've only found the following solutions:

Fenix HL60R
Nitecore HC90

I prefer the symmetrical looks of the Fenix and it's cheaper but I dislike its controls. It looks alot like the Nitecore HC50 and I prefer the controls of the Nitecore HC50 but that's not USB rechargeable. The Nitecore HC90 is USB rechargeable but I don't like the slider and don't need the extra blue and green colour lights.

Is there any other possibility in this segment (single 18650 accu+lamp in one pack that's USB rechargeable) to choose from?

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-Ion 18650 USB Rechargeable Headlamp

You are pretty much where I was a year or so ago when I was looking for headlamps. I wanted a single 18650 that recharged in the light. I probably had a much easier decision because, when I was looking, the Fenix HL60R. I, too, was slightly concerned about the slide switch of the Nitecore HC90. I also couldn't see the need for the red, green, and blue LEDs. But, I sprung for the Nitecore HC90 anyway.

As it turned out, the concern about the slide switch was unwarranted. Also, even though I couldn't see the need for the other LEDs, I do use them every so often. For example, about an hour ago I was taking a hike, around a lake, in a county park near me. As I approached other people, I simply switched by headlamp from white to blue. It gave me ample light to hike by without blinding the other hikers.

Now if I were buying today, I am really not sure which I would buy between those two. While it might sound like a cop out, I really think that it is a "WIN-WIN". Which ever light you buy will probably serve you quite well.

I realize that probably didn't make your decision any easier, but just know that what ever you go with will be a good choice. Also, this IS CandlePowerForums. You simply can't have just one of anything. Buy BOTH of them, do an in-depth comparison, and then post it here for all to read!

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened
Re: Li-Ion 18650 USB Rechargeable Headlamp

I don't really see it as a WIN-WIN, but more as a LOSE-LOSE because instead of wanting them both, neither is what I really want.

With the Fenix if you're on Low and want to go to the Red light, you'll have to pass through Mid-High-Turbo which renders the Red option less useful.

With the Nitecore HC90 it's not that I'm concerned with the yellow switch, I just don't like the looks of it and for me it makes the lamp ugly. I also find it too expensive for a handlamp for my use.

I've been weighing this so much, which disadvantage will bug me the least, that I think I might have to abandon the USB-rechargeable idea.

The only solution I currently see is to buy the Nitecore HC50 in combination with the Fenix ARE-X1 charger. As I'll have to buy a separate 18650 battery as well, it's actually more expensive than the Fenix HL60R which includes the battery. Is the USB chargeable option worth compromising or is it just a nice extra that can easily be compensated by the Nitecore HC50 + Fenix ARE-X1 combo?

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-Ion 18650 USB Rechargeable Headlamp

.....The only solution I currently see is to buy the Nitecore HC50 in combination with the Fenix ARE-X1 charger. As I'll have to buy a separate 18650 battery as well, it's actually more expensive than the Fenix HL60R which includes the battery. Is the USB chargeable option worth compromising or is it just a nice extra that can easily be compensated by the Nitecore HC50 + Fenix ARE-X1 combo?

Go with the Nitecore HC50 and Fenix ARE-X1 charger. I happen to like the ability to recharge with a USB port, BUT I also realize that I am in the minority here. Many, perhaps most, members here advocate charging batteries outside of the light. I haven't bought a separate charger yet, but I suspect that I will at some point.

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened

I like that ability as well. It also saves on buying a seperate accu and charger. That's why I looked for this in my initial search.

Unfortunately the offering is very limited and I happen to dislike the controls and/or functionality.

Regretting not having the option to recharge through USB, Nitecore HC50 it will probably be...

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened

Really appreciate the proposition! However it has an odd mode spacing and also the square the design isn't entirely to my liking. Thx!

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened

Anybody who want to share their Fenix HL60R or Nitecore HC90 user experience?

pika-t

Newly Enlightened
Lumonite Compass R is available with a magnetic snap charger. I'm afraid it's only available here in the Nordics. I would have bought it but the lowest output of 85 lm is too high for me. Compared to the Armytek Wizard, it seems to have better heatsinking and a headband mount that comes off without a struggle. Right now I'm just waiting for either of the brands to make a new model with the best features of both models.

Ambiorix

Newly Enlightened

Go with the Nitecore HC50 and Fenix ARE-X1 charger. I happen to like the ability to recharge with a USB port, BUT I also realize that I am in the minority here. Many, perhaps most, members here advocate charging batteries outside of the light. I haven't bought a separate charger yet, but I suspect that I will at some point.

I favored the USB charging ability and went for the Fenix HL60R :) Thanks a lot for your input JAS!

Not having to buy the 18650 and a charger and the flexibility to charge from USB convinced me. I still think the controls could have been better but will learn to deal with it :)

My order arrived today and a brief 5 minute test gave me the idea that it doesn't feel to heavy and is comfortable to wear without the top strap (tested very briefly). I like the beam both far away and up close (tested in the underground parking lot).

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened

I was obsessed with this idea for a long time. I hike and backpack a lot and would like to have my headlamp plugged directly into my Voltaic solar panel during the day. I was using a Zebralight H32 with a separate charger and that worked well, but i wanted more battery life and direct charge. I have yet to find anything i like enough to buy. I will probably give up and get a ZL 18650 with the Klarus charger/power bank. But i get it, i HATE adding a whole separate item to the situation, and i don't like taking the battery out all the time. But at least with an 18650, i can go a few days without charging. With the cr123 light i changed them twice a night and that really irked me, especially in the dark haha.
My opinion: the headlamps currently available compromise too much in performance and weight to be worth the convenience of charging.
I did find one interesting light that you might want to check out though.
http://www.klaruslight.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=130&id=108
But its twice the weight of a ZL 18650, and it lacks a real low mode. Both deal breakers for me.

Last edited: