Li-ion or LiFePO4 or Li-Po battery, what’s your choice?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
The Li-ion, LiFePO4 and Li-Po batteries are all rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. But they have some differences. For example, Li-Po batteries typically have the highest energy density. They're also lightweight and can be made in different shapes and sizes. Li-ion batteries have a slightly lower energy density. LiFePO4 batteries have the lowest energy density of the three. But the LiFePO4 batteries have a longer cycle life, and excellent thermal stability, more safe. As for the cost, LiFePO4 batteries are usually more expensive than Li-Po and Li-ion batteries.

It seems each type of lithium battery has its own characteristics. For your different applications, what's your choice for these batteries?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Interesting question.

I don't know the difference between one battery chemistry from another, but when presented with an option I'd typically go with Li-ion because I've used it in the past and am comfortable with it.

Considering that I don't consume huge amounts of battery energy that needs to be replenished regularly, one of the main considerations would be that the chemistry have a Low Self Discharge Rate. Many of my batteries may sit for many months without being used.