Li-ion to jump start a car?

tripplec

Enlightened
Re: The new lithium-ion jumpstarters

Yes the heat of high current flow through the Lithium pack allowed the second test to provide much higher current in the Car Rover pack. The NOCO never recovered from the first test. Just went dead completely.

Also a pack in parallel with a wide enough voltage differential will flow current to the main battery. Never the less it likely not get it above 10.5VDC even if left connected for a while. But the source voltage need to be high enough to actually power the motor to turn otherwise being too low its just heat generated with the very low voltage of 4.5V which would not even engage the solenoid or chatter anyway (a good thing since this could burn out a starter motor). Keeping the voltage drop at a minimum is critical in any battery since the power is Voltage x Amps and of course the amount will vary widely which each vehicle. Having a big enough source ensures that it can boost even in adverse condition and even if not fully charged as they claim (X number of starts).

It might work in Florida or California where winter sub zero is never a concern. But both Canada and many parts of the USA temp as in this DEC were very cold. You pay your money for a booster that meets the real marketed spec's and must turn the specified vehicle engine over. Plain and simple, if not a waste of money and the presumed backup tool does not live up to its claim. A for the reviewer who bought them himself and provided the test info images help us weed out the chaff crappy OEM's and products. I know for fact that many sellers forums are limited in what and if a negative review can be added. Hence looking at even Canadian Tire. A Stanley Booster Pack (1000 Peak rated & 500 cranking Amps) pasted on the front is all wrong. I own one and never was able to boost any engine and had to use a different unit/source when needed. Read the small stick on the back and it says 500 for 3 sec and 300 cranking amps. Which may also be less when sub zero which was when the problem always occurred. Turns out Stanley doesn't even make the unit. Some company licensed the use of the name and put it on the unit. They are available under different names. A waste of money for sure on that unit which has a SLA 19AH battery in it.

Its important for us all to weed out the crappy unit and know when we part our hard earned money, that we are getting value and what we expect for it. Otherwise we just blown it on a expensive paper weight. Companies like Noco which are not up front and fail to disclose real spec's are hiding the facts and truth of inferiority and never meet their claim in the real world.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Tripplec,

The whole purpose of testing is to weed out actual performance from the various advertising claims. Prior to purchasing the GB150 I did a lot of research and discussed the unit with several people that had various NOCO units. A couple of the people had all the NOCO units. They told me that for my particular application I should only look at the GB70 and GB150 with a heavy recommendation for the GB150.

I listened to them and have been very happy with the performance of the GB150. I have no idea if it is capable of providing around 700 amps at 10.5 volts but it has started some large engines with very dead batteries.

My perspective comes from a real world view. If I encounter a vehicle with a dead battery I have confidence that my NOCO unit will give it a chance to start. The cost was about double of my previous jump pack but its performance justifies the extra cost as far as I am concerned.

If we remove brand names it would appear that if you are looking for a heavy duty jump pack you would be better off if the unit you were looking at had a Li-Ion battery pack of at least 8 Ah.

Tom

tripplec

Enlightened

Yeah, not saying that the GB150 isn't good. Its so much higher capacity and has what the other should have (voltmeter etc) even at half its rated capacity. The Noco claim on the GB150 will suffices for the task you have. Normally we don't expect to have to buy something 2 to 3x over rated to get what will work. From the subzero test even the GB40 would not start my ATV on a cold morning and maybe some sleds either. From the cold test the Noco batteries used must be extremely poor quality to fail so miserably and totally Die as we saw!! No second change when you really need more than one attempt when boosting.

I hope some member post tests and info on units they've bought. Only one I saw had two year warranty. One year is not long enough. I got 5-6years on a Lead acid SLA booster pack battery. Their prices have at least doubled recently hence finding a well designed Li-Ion solution would be money better spent but it needs to last more than a year. Otherwise just get CAA and hope you are where they can come to boost you.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^^ What does that "tested" badge mean on that site? Of course one should never trust tests unless they provide the necessary information that enables the "test" to be independently reproduced and verified.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is the testing process... :)

Thanks for the (amusing) link. So it seems their "tested" badge is even more meaningless than I surmised (based solely on customer feedback). With that criteria, they'd be slapping tested badges on all of those 10000mAh Ultrafire 18650 cells too given that they have thousands of almost 100% positive feedback from eBay users. They too seem to work the first few times they try to use them in non-demanding devices. Only much later does the truth rear its ugly head....

tripplec

Enlightened

Well that Booster I have now under Eliminator and Dewalt labels aren't worth more than $50. The pumps quit in two year and the lead acid battery is only good for 300A by spec if you get that. The review shows TESTED LOL useless label because I know you can't rely on it. My charging also stopped and I opened up to see if it cold be repair since it had a plug sticking out to connect an extension cord to it. Well, they put a cheap 500mA black basic adapter strapped to the plastic panel with the ends sticking out wired to a circuit board. LOL

Oh no, can't attach a photo. Unsupported oh well. You all have a small black adapter which fits in the palm of your hand. Thats what is iin it with the metal plug sticking out the other side. A Joke as well. You would not boost any 6 or 8 cylinder engine with it. Even 4 cylinder couldn't start when it was new on dead cold day.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
So as of Oct 2021, seems the discussion is now on this thread:

fuyume

Enlightened
A good lead-acid battery will give you at least 5 solid years of use. So by the time you need to use that jumper on your old lead-acid battery, it wouldn't work anyway!
JFTR, last year, I replaced the battery in my F-150 after 8 years of service, 6 of them in Northern New England Winters. Sears Die Hard, baby. They still make them good.