Life is too short to freak out about beat-up lights

dhunley1

Enlightened
I try not bang up my handguns, flashlights or knives. I use them all....I just try not to drop them on concrete or bang them around too much. Some do get dinged...but I try not to!

This.

I've noticed some people (usually on the internet) go out of their way to abuse their tools just for bragging rights. "Look! I'm a real user you measly collector!" I use all of my lights, and won't cry if they get dropped and get a little dinged up, but I do my best to make sure that doesn't happen.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my lights. Since I am stuck at home due to some medical/surgical issues, Sometimes I just handle and caress them, polish and the lube the O rings and threads. I used to only be indoors to eat & sleep and always on the go, outside the rest of the time. The bottom line is that as much as I like them, they are tools. Tools to be used and serve their intended purpose. The first time I drop or damage a brand new light, I cringe...and then think, oh well, now I don't have to care about it if it falls again. My Surefire's and Four Sevens have the highest mileage...many have hundreds of hours in aircraft from when I was a Chief Flight Nurse. Regardless of one scratch or a hundred, they are still well cared for. I recently discovered that Harbor Freight sells Apache Cases for less than $10. The container is larger than I need when transporting multiple lights, but it includes 4 sections of dark grey foam identical to the Pelican "Pick & Pluck". It fits in a cigar box quite well and in the case of my Four Sevens Preon lights can hold 18 lights. Or I could use the Apache case and have two levels of lights for a total of 36 lights...Cool.
None of my lights are "Safe queens", although some have that appearance just because they have not yet seen enough field time(yet). Life is indeed too short to freak out about beat up lights....

KBobAries

Enlightened
Just about every light I own has been bounced off the ground. I'm not overly happy when it happens but my lights are tools to be used. I've sold most of my collectibles and I buy "performance" lights because the pleasure of actually using them outweighs the annoyance I feel when they get dinged. While most of the nicks have been accidents I will admit to having tossed my HDS a couple times to show how solidly it's built. ;)

I think the only lights I own that don't show signs of use are a couple that I haven't yet got around to using and my nightstand light. The carpeted bedroom floor probably has something to do with that. lol.

Dan

Matt7337

Enlightened
I was actually just about to start a thread about this tonight! I have come to realize that worn and weathered flashlights can look great too. Obviously if it's an extremely expensive custom or limited production light you want to keep it pristine, but I let go of the "shelf queen" mentality on roughly half of my collection a few years ago and actually started using the things. I will be taking photos of the worn looking ones to share with you all sometime this week. At the moment I have a couple of very nicely weathered Nitecores, a very well used and abused Fenix TK11* and a Bitz Pocket Titanium with a nice patina on it. I am also beginning to see the odd nick and scratch on some of my EDC Olights as well.

*The only flashlight that I have ever intentionally dropped or thrown on concrete, just to prove a point to someone almost 10 years ago. And the sucker took every bit of the beating in its stride, too. It lived in my toolbox for a long time, got battered around work sites, my garage and workshop a lot and looks awesome now. It is one of the toughest flashlights that I have ever owned.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last night at work I opened my truck door and my flashlight fell out of my pocket. I thought of this thread.

Basically it was a light I'd rather not ding and had bought a silver version of it to hide scars yet the silver one ended up on my nightstand while the black one gets used at work...

Anyway, when I got back in my truck later I found it to be knick/ding free. That was my one "oops" I suppose... matter of fact after I hit send I'll swap the two from jacket pocket/nightstand to vice-versa.... changed my mind. Silver is easier to spot in low light so it stays on the nightstand...

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
While that's certainly true for the user, it doesn't have to be the fate of the tool. No, not if it's well cared for. I have a wood chisel past from my grandfather to his son to me. I use it whenever it's needed and plan on passing it to my son then he to his and so forth.

I've collected over 100 flashlights; one of them is a BOSS 70. I told the boys, "If I should die suddenly, do what you want with all the lights, except this one. This one is to be handed down from father to son."

~ Cg

Even king Solomon's temple did not escape the ravages of time.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I hear you. But. I want the tool to become dust only long after I do, ie it must be usable throughout my lifetime.

I want that too but don't often get my way. There is always more tools but only one life. Tonight I am going night hiking and might cook some bacon in the woods. There are bears so will bring bear spray. There are cliffs to fall off and rocks to trip over. I will bring a headlamp and flashlight so not to stumble. My ancestors brought fire to deal with those exact issues. I will also bring some warm clothing. If any of that gear gets damaged or lost that is the price of admission IMHO. I buy good tools so they work when needed but one never knows what the night will bring.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night at work I opened my truck door and my flashlight fell out of my pocket. I thought of this thread.

Basically it was a light I'd rather not ding and had bought a silver version of it to hide scars yet the silver one ended up on my nightstand while the black one gets used at work...

Anyway, when I got back in my truck later I found it to be knick/ding free. That was my one "oops" I suppose... matter of fact after I hit send I'll swap the two from jacket pocket/nightstand to vice-versa.... changed my mind. Silver is easier to spot in low light so it stays on the nightstand...

I wear cargo pants with an extra set of pockets below primary pockets, they have a neat storage for a light.

very discreet and no more falls.

check out Vertx VTX1000 series.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I have a few bodies I don't want scratched up but mostly I just want the drop ins to remain protected. To hell with the bodies.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
I have a few bodies I don't want scratched up but mostly I just want the drop ins to remain protected. To hell with the bodies.

Amen! I put clear gorilla packing tape on my lenses to keep them scratch free, i want to pot electronics for durability in everything that i own, i clean electrical contacts in my gear regularly, polish and lube contact points on knife, flashlight and gun parts for smooth running and to prevent wear, I make sure that every thread that doesnt have loc-tite is clean and torqued properly, the o-rings are perfectly seated and lubed just right (not to much, not too little).

But...sometimes life brings more to carry than you set out to that day and pocket space becomes limited so i'll stuff one pocket with a leatherman, flashlight, and folding knife. I know anodizing is flaking off every time i take a step, but it doesnt bother me a bit. As long as i know it will perform when i need it to and i've maintained the parts that count, i could care less what it looks like. I'm extremely hard on everything i own and it shows, but unscrew the head on my light and you'll see the dirty muck falling off one side of the o-ring while the other side is black as night and shiny from proper care and lubrication. Looks are last on my list, i cant just buy something because its pretty, i have to have a functional need met before i even consider it. That said when i do find something that meets my needs i buy a color or style i like if its available, but i cant bring myself to buy something again because a new color is out or they made it prettier. I'm certainly not bashing anyone who does, thats just me. I have bought twice before to have backup replacement parts. But if my stuff is scarred up and still works, i love it just as much as a collector loves his safe queen!

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
If I really like a light/tool, I will buy two, one to use and one to put away and admire. Scratches and dings over a period of time are real live testaments to how durable said product is.

I do this as well, but really not to admire but to ensure i have a working light that I take to for whatever reason. Sometimes more than two if I know they won't be made anymore. That being said, i generally take good care of my lights and other toolsand even if i do "abuse"a light, the anodizing on good lights these days is great. My most beat up light only has nicks on the tailcap and bezel from dropping it from a manlift half a dozen times.

Latest posts