Light for wife

tphill

Newly Enlightened
Hello. Looking for a light for my wife. She has a couple of criteria that have made it difficult for my search. I'd really like some help. She has a light that she likes the size and side button. )These are the two criteria: 1" diameter and 4" long, and side button.) The problem with the light is that it was purchased from a gas station, and the switch doesn't work all the time. The light has to be bumped or jarred to come on. It is also dim. It's 9 led's are powered by 3 aaa's in a tube "package". Aside from the size and side button feature, I'd like for it to use 18650's, and have a high and low, not sure how the UI would be for that. Here's the list. Thanks.
Oh yea, she really doesn't like having to twist the head or tail. She gave away a Surefire 6px tactical I got for her. She said the button didn't work! A selector ring may or may not work.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $50. Maybe more for the right light.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

1" diameter, 4" long

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

I intend to use Rechargeable cells. 18650 Li-Ion

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

300 lumens

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Narrow Flood.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

tphill

Newly Enlightened
I think I may have found one. Anyone have any experience with the Olight S20-Baton? Everything seems good, just need to know about reliability (especially the switch).

tphill

Newly Enlightened
Or Fenix E35UE. This one is a little long, but might work.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reliability is a hard one to comment on. Someone will have an issue but given the number of a particular lights in a sample set, that is hard to find.

I don't have an issue with Olight lights and I don't have the S20 either but given the size, it is one on my desired list.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offence meant, but I read the title of this thread and thought, this could be a reasonable trade. But I would want to see pictures first.

I don't have the Olight S20 Baton, but I have other Olight models and they have been reliable. As noted above, my sample size is not big. And what level of reliability is acceptable at this price point? I've dropped my Olights onto concrete several times and they still work.

tphill

Newly Enlightened
Good point about reliability and this price point. The main thing about reliability I was thinking of is will the side button switch turn the light on without having to tap or bang the light? That seems to be an issue with her current light.

I think I'll keep my wife.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the side button switch on the Olight is reliable. What kind of light does your wife have now?

Good idea to keep the wife. I know my wife wouldn't mind if I got another light. Not sure how she would feel if I got another wife.

tphill

Newly Enlightened
The light she has now is just a cheap generic gas station purchase. But this is the light she likes because of the side button and the size (1" diameter and 4" length). It is 1 mode, has 9 dim led's and uses 3 aaa batteries. My d25c in low is as bright as this light. I'm not looking for a light with super high lumens or multi modes or strobe or any other flashing options, but it seems most lights now have these. It's mainly size and the side button.

I have many lights here, including the D25c ti and Viking Pro that I edc, my son's Surefire 6px pro, etc etc. All of my lights have tail switches, twist heads, to big, to small, and such and she just want the side switch and that size.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there are others, but the only other one with a side switch that comes to mind is the ZebraLight. Over your budget, but they have a devoted following.

tphill

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the ZebraLights. They are more expensive, but don't really offer anything extra. I think the Olight S20 Baton is the light I'll get for her. Thanks.

Enlightened
I looked at the ZebraLights. They are more expensive, but don't really offer anything extra. I think the Olight S20 Baton is the light I'll get for her. Thanks.
They're among the smallest 18650 lights. I like it because they're smaller than some AA lights despite using a larger and beefier power source. (I have the SC62d)

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have the S20 and it is a reliable light. I keep mine in my auto.

If your wife is like mine, then the multi mode feature may not be desired. My wife wants two modes..off and on. The S20's modes will take some learning to use and your wife may not like that. That being said, my wife does like my nitecore SRT-7. The variable adjustment ring makes things far more simple for her.

here is my wife's criteria for a flashlight.

1. two modes....off and on
2. plain, easy to find batteries..AAA AA, or D cell
3. Don't waste money .... a free "sometimes-works" light is better than a 50$ uber reliable light.
4. be able to ignore the light for almost ten years...then it better darned well work (yes, conflicts with rule 3..but that's women for you)
5. 25 to 50 lumens is plenty. run-time is more important.
6. a durable switch that wont accidentally turn on in the junk or glove box (see rule 4)

women and flashlights are funny....good luck with that

tphill

Newly Enlightened
18650, the SC62d is the main ZebraLight I looked at, and does fit the criteria for size and side button. However, if my wife ever found out I gave that much for her light, well it wouldn't be good for me!

Bicycleflyer, I didn't realize or think about the mode deal being that big of an issue, but I think you are right. 2 modes, off and on, does sound better. Your wife's criteria and my wife's criteria are probably very close, now that I have thought about what she really does with her light, especially 1, 3, and 6(substitute purse). The size and side switch are basically non-negotiable. 2 modes, on and off, and lumens maybe around 100 or so. Rechargable battery...AA, AAA, or cr123, or 18650. Now what light should I look at?

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Go to a big box retailer near you and look at the energizer line of flashlights. They have one model that is rubber armored, has a sturdy side switch, and a simple high/low mode. there are two models, an AA and a AAA version. I don't think they will fall into the less than 4 inch category, but they meet all other criteria. Just say "hey, this is the best I can do at a reasonable price" She may surprise you an say "OK". My local HD has them for about 25$.

energizer does have a website that shows the lights I am talking about.

If your wife shows any flexibility, I would introduce her to either a 2 X AAA penlight, or a single AAA pocket flashlight. None of them have side switches, but they are small and surprisingly bright. I have a ITP EOS as my pocket EDC light and I love it.

afraidofdark

Enlightened
The nice thing about the Olight Baton lights is the mode memory. When turned on, the light will use whatever mode was last selected. To the uninitiated this is just on-off.

I loaned my S15 Baton to my wife's 70-year old uncle for a couple of days and he had no problems. I had left it on medium.