lightweight emergency hiking light

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have your cake and eat it too :).

I'm running a Quark QP2A-X head on a 2L body with a 2500 mah 16650 (3-4 Eneloop Equiv), on a Malkoff headband. 3.0oz with batt, 0.86x4.5", reversible clip for ballcap mount, and it'll run any chemistry 1x AAA/AA/CR123 in the tube with spacers (DIY w/tinfoil). In a pinch, it can be easily rigged in lantern mode to run ANY cell (eg, 9V/D/18650/etc). Max's out at ~340 lms (~450 Zebralight/Selfbuilt lumens) but the low mode spacing is what I love for camping.

I once had a backpacking partner's light fail that put us close to running out of light on the trip. We had enough batteries - just the wrong kind. That won't happen again :).

Poppy

Flashaholic
Have your cake and eat it too :).

I'm running a Quark QP2A-X head on a 2L body with a 2500 mah 16650 (3-4 Eneloop Equiv)

Actually, come to think of it, a single AA has about 3 times the capacity of a AAA battery. Therefore a single cell AA Quark (with the ability to run it on AAA cells with a little ball of tin-foil) is certainly a good option. This way the OP can carry a back-up light, loaded with a battery, that he can use his spare AAA cells if needed.

MMD

Enlightened
What about the Maratac AAA. The clip works on a ball cap.

• Medium mode, 40 lumens output for up to 7 hours
  • Low mode, 1.5 lumens output for up to 55 hours
  • High mode, 138 lumens output for up to 70 minute

mdocod

Flashaholic
Something to consider:

Zebralight H600Fw Mk II + headband + 1 X NCR18650B = ~120 grams. 60 lumen for 30 hours, flat, regulated output (that's just 1 of MANY mode options).

Typical 3 X AAA LED "plastic clam-shell" headlamp + headband + 6 X AAA alkaline cells (3 installed + 3 spare) = ~120 grams. ~6 total hours of "useful" illumination (~40-50 lumens average, if I'm generous), and many hours of trailing output (combined, with both "sets" of batteries).

Swap out the cells for 6 X NIMH in the AAA light, and the "useful" illumination will improve to an average of ~50-60 lumens for ~12 hours.That will weigh a few more grams.

Swap out the cells for 9 X L92's in the AAA light, and the "useful" illumination will improve again, to an average of ~60-80 lumens, for ~30 hours, for the same ~120g.

The 1 X 18650 zebra headlamp beats AAA powered headlamps overall for durability, versatility, and performance/weight + convenience. We have to bring along 9 expensive non-rechargeable lithium primary AAA cells just to compete with 1 X 18650 for lumen/hours.

desmobob

Enlightened
Something to consider:

Zebralight H600Fw Mk II + headband + 1 X NCR18650B = ~120 grams. 60 lumen for 30 hours, flat, regulated output (that's just 1 of MANY mode options).

Typical 3 X AAA LED "plastic clam-shell" headlamp + headband + 6 X AAA alkaline cells (3 installed + 3 spare) = ~120 grams. ~6 total hours of "useful" illumination (~40-50 lumens average, if I'm generous), and many hours of trailing output (combined, with both "sets" of batteries).

Swap out the cells for 6 X NIMH in the AAA light, and the "useful" illumination will improve to an average of ~50-60 lumens for ~12 hours.That will weigh a few more grams.

Swap out the cells for 9 X L92's in the AAA light, and the "useful" illumination will improve again, to an average of ~60-80 lumens, for ~30 hours, for the same ~120g.

The 1 X 18650 zebra headlamp beats AAA powered headlamps overall for durability, versatility, and performance/weight + convenience. We have to bring along 9 expensive non-rechargeable lithium primary AAA cells just to compete with 1 X 18650 for lumen/hours.

+1... Well put. Despite the weight disadvantage, the Zebralight H600w MkII is my easy choice for backpacking. I'm sort of wishing I had chosen the floody version, but the H600w is pretty nice.

Take it easy,
Bob

markr6

Flashaholic
+1... Well put. Despite the weight disadvantage, the Zebralight H600w MkII is my easy choice for backpacking. I'm sort of wishing I had chosen the floody version, but the H600w is pretty nice.

Take it easy,
Bob

Same here. Bob, don't worry about not having the flood. I actually ordered this regular version on purpose, with the intent of adding d-c-fix. It's a diffuser film that people put on windows to add a little privacy. I think the result is even BETTER than the 600Fw version. Still a hotspot (barely noticable) but a lot more flood too. I use my H600wII on every backpacking trip (-5°F and up), kayaking and running.

It's great. Even weight weenies shouldn't have a problem with the weight - about 1.5oz more is well worth the output. The H600 isn't just a headlamp; it's a do-it-all light when out in the backcountry. 0.01-1020lumens. Massive runtime. Impossible to beat.

Again, try the d-c-fix. Search the forum; someone here sells a small sheet for like $3 or something. Cut a circle and stick it on. It won't peel off unless you want it to.

Diffuser film on H52w L2 on right. H600wII next to that.
zebras_030114a.jpg

Last edited:

desmobob

Enlightened
The H600 isn't just a headlamp; it's a do-it-all light when out in the backcountry. 0.01-1020lumens. Massive runtime. Impossible to beat.

Again, try the d-c-fix. Search the forum; someone here sells a small sheet for like $3 or something. Cut a circle and stick it on. It won't peel off unless you want it to.

Diffuser film on H52w L2 on right. H600wII next to that.

I agree. I used to carry an older model Black Diamond Icon because of the long run time and combination of flood and spot LEDs. I later upgraded to a more powerful Fenix HP25 that also used a 4xAA battery pack and had separate spot and flood emitters that could be controlled individually (and used at the same time, if desired).

The H600w is much stronger, is much more adjustable, equals or exceeds the run time, and does it all with less weight and a way smaller form. Hard to beat it... But I did just put in an order for an armyTek Wizard Pro v2 Warm. :)

I've been itching to order some of that diffuser film. Guess I'll have to try some.

Take it easy,
Bob

mdocod

Flashaholic
...But I did just put in an order for an armyTek Wizard Pro v2 Warm. :)

Take it easy,
Bob

Yea I have 2 of the same coming in the mail. Supposed to be here today. Very excited to try them out.

Basically I weighed the options on headlamps and compromised on the slightly heavier armytek over the zebralight option, but not because I think the armytek is vastly superior, rather, minor differences that I perceive as advantages swayed me that direction, but I would happily own either for hiking/backpacking/camping purposes.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both brands seem really awesome. I'm happy with my Wizard Pro Warm, so hopefully you guys will be happy with them as well!

LMart

Newly Enlightened
Followup: went with the Fenix LDO2. Use rechargeable NimH battery with a Panasonic charger. So far I'm very happy with this light. It's always in my survival kit when I'm hiking or backpacking, and I've already had to pull it out a number of times when someone needed a light. Pros: really bright, small light--good enough to hike down a rough trail at night (recently went down Upper Yosemite Falls with it). So far very reliable. Easy to use click function. Cons: Beam is slightly narrow for hiking. Not enough difference between the brightest and dimmest settings.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently went down Upper Yosemite Falls with it...

I have done that hike myself. It was amusing to see the number of people who were in the valley on a tour bus for just the day. On a whim, many of them decided to climb to the top of Yosemite Falls. They got fooled by the map, which shows that trail to be the shortest route to top of the canyon.

It is the shortest, only about 3.5 miles as I recall, but that also means it is the steepest! You climb more than 3000 feet in that distance. I chucked at the three girls I saw wearing light summer dresses and dress shoes that matched. On a day where the temperature was 80 degrees Fahrenheit on the valley floor, they each carried only a 1/2 liter bottle of water (and pretty much nothing else).

They weren't the only ones either. On the way down, I met some girls who were filling their tiny water bottles from the creek. When you drink from the streams at Yosemite, you risk infection from Giardia. I shared some of the 2.5 liters of water I carried with them.

Yosemite attracts a lot of folks who have very little experience hiking. Tahoe as well.

When I go on a late afternoon hike (and a lot of day hikes, as well), I carry two flashlights/headlamps. When I plan to be hiking after dark, I carry three.

If I were you, I would consider gifting your AAA equipment to a friend, and switching to a larger cell. One AA battery stores the same energy as three AAA batteries. One 18650 battery stores the same energy as three or four AA batteries. That means a single 18650 battery stores more energy than you get from ten AAA batteries!

I like the Zebralight H600Fw Mark II headlamp. If you can wait a few more months, one of the neutral-white models of the upcoming Zebralight SC600 Mark III might make a good hand-held companion. Both are extremely compact and light-weight.

LMart

Newly Enlightened
Yep, your description of Yosemite is pretty typical. Strangest sight I can remember seeing is a couple taking a baby carriage (complete with baby) quite a ways up 4 mile trail (actually four and a half miles long) late in the day. You are right--Upper Yosemite Falls trail is about 3.5 miles with about 3,000 feet of gain. I've done many strenuous hikes, but that's one trail I'm always glad to get down off of. Slick rocks, slanted downward, and dusted with sand--it's not easy to get secure footing there, even with good hiking shoes and trekking poles. Another place that attracts novices is Grand Canyon.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, your description of Yosemite is pretty typical. Strangest sight I can remember seeing is a couple taking a baby carriage (complete with baby) quite a ways up 4 mile trail (actually four and a half miles long) late in the day.

Oh, my! The good news is that they were out of their car, and having an adventure in nature. The bad news is that they were woefully unprepared.

Lazy as I am, Four Mile Trail is one of my favorites. Beginners take note. For something like $20, you can take the bus up to Glacier Point, and then hike down! It's the easiest hike that gets you from the lip of the canyon down into Yosemite Valley. You get many gorgeous views along the way, including a closeup trek past Sentinel Rock.

On one such adventure, I watched the sunset along the way, and finished the last mile using my headlamp and flashlight. That's another tip for beginners. You can escape the crowds at Yosemite by starting late, and coming back in the dark.

Here is an easy trick that non-hikers can use. At Glacier Point, you will encounter hordes of visitors. Last time I was there I estimated there were about 400 folks sharing the views with me. I had to wait my turn to get to the front of the stone wall, from which I could photograph Yosemite Falls, North Dome, etc. Most of the people are tourists, folks who rarely get out in the woods. Most, therefore, are quite cautious.

Now, there is a rail that marks the eastern boundary of the viewing area. That's the part that faces Half Dome. Away from the cliff, the rail is just a boundary. There is nothing dangerous about hopping over it. It is also completely legal to do so.

So that's what I did. After a short walk of perhaps 300-400 feet, I was in solitude. By placing a tree behind me, I hid from those above, so that no one would get the idea to join me. Even without this precaution, most of the tourists would have stayed behind the rail anyway. My views were almost as good as those from the official viewing area. I sat for alone for something like 15 or 20 minutes before returning. I had solitude amid a crowd. No hiking necessary.

Every year, one or two people die hiking in Yosemite. It can snow there in any month of the year. Here is a YouTube video that recounts the story of some experienced hikers who had to be rescued on the Four Mile Trail during an early October snowstorm. It's a typical tale. These guys did it to themselves. (Despite the video's title, no one died this time).

Another place that attracts novices is Grand Canyon.

As a boy, I was one of those novices. My family was there for just the day. My younger brother and I blithely scampered down the trail into the canyon. After about 40 minutes, we figured it was time to go back.

Boy, were we surprised. I know now that we had gone perhaps as far as halfway down (close to 2000 feet vertical), but it did not seem like much on the way down. It took a lot longer than 40 minutes to climb out! At only 10 or 11 years of age, it was frankly too much for us.

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened
I've got to recommend the Olight S1 Baton. It's 1.5oz with the battery installed, and because it's CR123 powered has amazing runtimes and output up to 500 lumens if needed.

Edit: It's actually 1.66oz give or take. For what you get, for the size of it, it's pretty outstanding. It doesn't fit your AAA requirement, but I think for what you're getting, it's worth it. I understand what you're getting at with weight constraints. I've been in the Corps for over four years now, and I know that ounces add up to pounds, which equals pain. This thing is amazing.

If you're still adamant about the AAA, might I suggest a Lumintop tool AAA, which comes in at 0.53oz. It has a clicky switch which I much prefer. Throw in a lithium AAA (0.27oz), and you've got yourself a light that comes in at under one ounce! It won't have the great runtimes the S1 does, though.

Last edited: