LiteFlux LF3XT Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISONS, and more!

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Actually BabyDoc the Fenix TK10 allthough not a single cell tamed the Q5 a long time ago and IMO has just as good a beam.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
There a couple of things that I think need to be mentioned. First of all, the LF3XT has eliminated the turn on delay that was present in the LF5XT. ... a very useful function on the LF3XT is its battery voltage reporting.
Both good points, thanks for the addition. One of the main reasons why I like to post my reviews here on CPF (instead of on my static website) is for the ongoing discussion that ensues. The developing thread really helps expands upon the review, and helps put it in context. :thumbsup:

However, if the light is disappointing and he feels his money is wasted, he can be more direct in his criticism than he might be had a maker or dealer sent him a free lights to review. Considering you had a sample failure, and your review is still ovrall very postitive, speaks lots about how you much you seem to like this light.
A good point - I think that is a natural tendency (and one I try to guard against ;)). I try to be measured in my criticism of any light, since someone's livelihood is involved. At the same time, my main goal is to provide as unbiased an evaluation as possible, so members here can better decide for themselves how to to spend their own hard-earned cash. :)

Given how LiteFlux & LED Cool handled previous issues with the LF5XT launch, I'm confident any problems that may crop up here will be delt with satisfactorily.

Finally,It is unfortunate that small manufacturers like LiteFlux come out with a great product and do not get the notice or sales they deserve. Until people with your stature and experience review the product, few believe a little maker can even stand in the shadow of the big name makers ...
I appreciate the compliment, but I doubt my reviews have that much impact. :sssh: I've reviewed some interesting lights where there has been almost no interest or response in the thread. It seems to me having an active posting presence here by the manufacturer (or one of the respected high profile CPF dealers) is really a key factor in generating interest - assuming the light itself has merit.

There's nothing I like better than seeing a manufacturer/dealer promptly deal with issues/problems raised by posters in these sorts of threads. It's the sort of thing that makes CPF such a great place to hang around. :wave:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually BabyDoc the Fenix TK10 allthough not a single cell tamed the Q5 a long time ago and IMO has just as good a beam.

Actually, I agree with you about the TK10. It's beam is nice! But it is a 2 cell light, built like a tank, heavy as hell, and not my idea of an EDC light. That's why I specifically said the LF3XT is the ONLY single cell light that has tamed the Q5. I am not sure why more single cell makers haven't done it. I understand its not just a matter of the orange peeling, but also having the correct focus. LiteFlux seems to do that with a deeper reflector. Fenix hasn't been able to do it with its smaller lights but perhaps the bigger TK10 having a bigger reflector, makes it easier to do it right, too.

Last edited:

xpea

Newly Enlightened
I want this light so much ! seems close to perfection. Simple and complex UI, lovely ring-free beam, good runtime and nice manufacturing :twothumbs

What is the bin of he emitter ? looks like a WC. can someone confirm ?

For my next EDC I was looking at the C2H but disappointing runtimes is a no go for now (waiting for Alan to fix this issue). If I can get something like a pure white WH bin (with no green), I'm sold :candle:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review, selfbuilt, as usual -thanks once again.

Here's a tip for all:

If you are like me and take a bit of time finding a "favorite" user defined setting, but then would like to ramp to somewhere else between min and max, just double click to min first, then ramp up to what you want (or down from max works too). Then the new ramped-to setting will not be memorized as a new user defined setting, and the next time you turn on you will be back at your old favorite level.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
After living with this for awhile it's hard to imagine settling for anything with a UI less versatile. Bravo to the engineers at LiteFlux. :twothumbs

Geoff

Simplicity05

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if you can request a warmer or cooler light from eliteled?

I couldn't seem to figure out how to order from Cool LED - do you just PM/Email him and he works with you?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Selfbuilt! I was curious to see how it stacked up to other lights... especially the other ones I have. :twothumbs

madi05

Enlightened
I want this light so much ! seems close to perfection. Simple and complex UI, lovely ring-free beam, good runtime and nice manufacturing :twothumbs

What is the bin of he emitter ? looks like a WC. can someone confirm ?

For my next EDC I was looking at the C2H but disappointing runtimes is a no go for now (waiting for Alan to fix this issue). If I can get something like a pure white WH bin (with no green), I'm sold :candle:

mine has no green:twothumbs

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Review. I'm a little worried because it seems as more of these lights are getting into the hands of the customers we're hearing of more issues. I will say though the build looks first-class. While there are 4 raised sections on the tail there are 8 sharp corners.
The knurling is improved over early LiteFlux lights, where it was more for decoration - although still not overly aggressive here, it does help with grip.
I think this was a good point. My only other LiteFlux is the LF5-XT and I must say the knurling on that really is just decoration.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the Review. I'm a little worried because it seems as more of these lights are getting into the hands of the customers we're hearing of more issues.

Actually, unlike the EX10/D10 with many complaining of switching problems, I have heard of very few issues with the LF3XT. It's just bad luck and embarassing that a reviewer should get a sample that failed. The few reports of problems with the LF3XT don't seem to be consistent with regards to what went wrong with any of them, indicating that the design is sound even if one of the components in an individual light might be defective. I don't think this necessarily indicates poor quality control either, since with any electronic product there are occasional component failures. (Even McGizmo recently had a problem with some of his Sundrop light engines failing, though the design was sound). The LF3XT has been out for a couple of months now and very few complaints have surfaced. I believe that LiteFlux learned from their tap off problem with the early LF5XTs, and have been gotten it right with the first run this time.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
I've only seen 1 or 2 actual light failures,but there seems to be a fair number of ""failures" related to UI and especially programming.

Most of these "failures" are the result of the poor Operation Manual included with the light. The ommision of the 3C command to get out of function mode was the major culprit. Looking back at the LF5XT threads shows the same problem. If you didn't have a LF5XT and were new to this type of UI and programming, you were behind the curve.

As selfbuild has noted , Budman's flow chart should solve this. Again a great comparison review.

Walter

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your efforts! Can't say I disagree with any part of your review. I really like mine do far and because of the 2 UI's I find I am using it more and more. Well done Liteflux!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only seen 1 or 2 actual light failures,but there seems to be a fair number of ""failures" related to UI and especially programming.

Most of these "failures" are the result of the poor Operation Manual included with the light. The ommision of the 3C command to get out of function mode was the major culprit. Looking back at the LF5XT threads shows the same problem. If you didn't have a LF5XT and were new to this type of UI and programming, you were behind the curve.

As selfbuild has noted , Budman's flow chart should solve this. Again a great comparison review.

Walter

Don't forget Matrixman's excellent retranslated manual. It also goes a long way to getting new LiteFlux owners up to speed with this light.
If you read this manual while looking at Budman's flowchart, it all makes sense. If you had a LF5XT, you wouldn't have had a problem the programming. Except for how you toggle on the momentary with the LF3XT, the rest of the programming in the FUI of the LF3XT, is nearly exactly the same as the LF5XT.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks selfbuilt for another excellent review. The LF3XT is a real EDC winner IMO. I think it is mentioned in Budman's flowchart thread about the LF3XT manual I went through to modify and clarify a lot of things (mostly language related) and some additional good info BabyDoc put together to make it even easier to use. If anyone gets more out of manuals than flowcharts this is a good thing to have and can be found there and the original LF3XT thread (titled 'Is the LF3XT out yet' I believe). I personally do better with flowcharts :) Much thanks to Budman for all the work he put into those.
Edit - funny I was just putting this info up about the manual and see BabyDoc beat me to it now.
h2oflyer - if you can let me know the wording to add the 3c exit command and where to put it I'll edit the manual to include that.

Last edited:

madi05

Enlightened
all i can say is this ,IM A NEWBIE AND IT ISNT REALLY THAT HARD FOR ME TO PLAY WITH OR WORK, LOL so to the people that are having problems setting things ,, just ask and i bet u will get help ,, and if u want a normal flashlight just use it as that and dont go into the FUI mode , simple

madi05

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "improved" manual didn't show the missing 3C exit command.I'm surprised LF5XT owners didn't bring this up.

If you read my tip section in the manual, the 3C exit command is mentioned, but you are absolutely correct that it should be more clearly included in the manual itself.

After making any function altheration issuing a 3C+PH enters that selection and place you back into the function setting menu mode. After that, to exit from the the function setting menu to the operation mode where you started, do 3C. If you change your mind and don't want to keep a function alteration toggled on in an individual function, don't do 3C+PH. Do just a 3C command which takes you directly back to the operation mode without stopping at the function setting menu and without saving the alteration.

When doing a factory reset with the 4th function in the function menu, ONLY a 3C+PH command is given. This resets the light to all the factory defaults and exits you back to the operation mode 1. No 3C command is issued here.

(What makes this part of the manual difficult to understand is that ONLY HERE in the function menu does the 3C command exit to the operation mode and save any changes you made in your functions. Everywhere else, 3C is an exit command that takes you directly back to the operation mode WITHOUT saving any setting changes you may have made. This makes the 3C a useful command for new users to remember should they get lost in one of the operation mode setting trees or function mode altration trees. In most cases, it will take them directly to the operation mode they had started with without stopping at any point in between.)

Last edited:

Simplicity05

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if you can request a warmer or cooler light from eliteled?

I couldn't seem to figure out how to order from Cool LED - do you just PM/Email him and he works with you?

Seems as though this one slipped under the radar - anyone have any input on these questions?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The ommision of the 3C command to get out of function mode was the major culprit. Looking back at the LF5XT threads shows the same problem. If you didn't have a LF5XT and were new to this type of UI and programming, you were behind the curve.
Good point - and exactly why I didn't think of mentioning it here, since I got used to it on the LF5XT. But I did indeed stumble around that one with the LF5XT until I checked the simplified manual posted here on CPF.

If anyone gets more out of manuals than flowcharts this is a good thing to have and can be found there and the original LF3XT thread (titled 'Is the LF3XT out yet' I believe).
Thanks matrixshaman - if you have a direct link to the post, I'd be happy to add it to my review text (I tend to like manuals ;)).

Seems as though this one slipped under the radar - anyone have any input on these questions?
In LED Cool's dealer thread in CPFMP, there are instructions on how to send him a payment. You should be able to check with him ahead of time to see if he can select a specific tint for you (may depend on what he has in stock). If his PM is full, I'd recommend e-mailing to one of his paypal addresses.