Lithium (li-on, lion) batts capacity/maintenance/conditioning

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
in other words the parameters are there because that is what it works the best in. the directions, like leaving one 40% discharged , exist because that is what works good. its good to charge it (cycle like) before you use it, and you cant store it to low, or it would drop to far.

they cant have a 3.0V dropout on protection, because under a normal hard load, that might be to high for the voltage dropps that normally occur.

its worked out pretty good if you ask me, when i vary from the parameters, is when it is not effective.

so the way they set it up, with the curcuits, is the right way, and i have tried the wrong way (somebody had to), and it aint better.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Re: Lithium (li-on, lion) batts age adds to capacity loss

VidPro said:
Check out batteryspace.com, they have a few ipod repacements, for different models. also ebay sellers have some ipod replacement batteries. with this caveat, it may LOOK like e-bay sellers might have much higher capacity internal replacements, and it is often not true.
if you can get the replacement from a trusted source, it is just as likly to be as large a capacity as you can get.
Meaning, i have goten a lot of replacement batts from china and american sellers at e-bay that were rated totally wrong, even listed totally wrong, for what it Said right on the battery when it arrived.

replacement is very simple, with the connector ones (with built in protection). i havent done an ipod, but i use the ipod batt for some things, and have replaced/upgraded pda ones.
just a matter of getting the leetel screws out, un snapping the cases, and locating the battery , and pulling the connector without tearing stuff up, and re-securing it the way it once was. the battery could be stuck down good, with 2 sided tape stuff, just remove it slowly letting the glue releace, as opposed to pulling to fast and hard.

its one of them "nothing to lose" propositions , for the price of the unit, you can have sombody do it, or for 1/5th that you could potentially lose the unit. and once you learn your 100miles ahead.
just pre-measure the size, check the capacity before purchaces, as sometimes that stuff aint returnable, then you will have to make a flashlight with it :)

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Re: Lithium (li-on, lion) batts age adds to capacity loss

VidPro said:
Check out batteryspace.com, they have a few ipod repacements, for different models. also ebay sellers have some ipod replacement batteries. with this caveat, it may LOOK like e-bay sellers might have much higher capacity internal replacements, and it is often not true.
if you can get the replacement from a trusted source, it is just as likly to be as large a capacity as you can get.
Meaning, i have goten a lot of replacement batts from china and american sellers at e-bay that were rated totally wrong, even listed totally wrong, for what it Said right on the battery when it arrived.

replacement is very simple, with the connector ones (with built in protection). i havent done an ipod, but i use the ipod batt for some things, and have replaced/upgraded pda ones.
just a matter of getting the leetel screws out, un snapping the cases, and locating the battery , and pulling the connector without tearing stuff up, and re-securing it the way it once was. the battery could be stuck down good, with 2 sided tape stuff, just remove it slowly letting the glue releace, as opposed to pulling to fast and hard.

its one of them "nothing to lose" propositions , for the price of the unit, you can have sombody do it, or for 1/5th that you could potentially lose the unit. and once you learn your 100miles ahead.
just pre-measure the size, check the capacity before purchaces, as sometimes that stuff aint returnable, then you will have to make a flashlight with it :)
Outstanding Job VidPro, like they say the right tools for the right job, printed out the installation, looks a little invovled but it can be done.

rdh226

Enlightened
zhuntai said:
so have we managed to decide if it is wise to deep cycle (because it recalibrates the protection circuitry) or unwise (because overdischarging damages the cell)?
Protective circuitry needs no calibration, it's at fixed set-points (current, voltage).

For "intelligent" battery systems (e.g., laptops), the discharge to "calibrate" is what
allows your silly little time-remaining meter to approximate an accurate time.

Bear in mind that charge/discharge circuitry is only "so" accurate in counting the mAh that
flow by. After { a few | some | many } cycles, what the computer thinks is in the battery
and what the battery actually has starts to diverge. Not to mention that the battery will
gradually lose capacity over time/use. End result is that your fancy GUI battery meter will
say "27 minutes" and the battery says "I'm done" and shuts off the computer, and you (the
proverbial user) feel ripped off because aren't digital circuits supposed to be perfect?

Running the battery to shutdown then fully charging simply resets ("calibrates") the
charge counter so the computer now has a [more] accurate count of the charge actually
in the battery.

(Actually, I should have said the "computer" and not the "battery" generally shuts the
computer down; the computer knows at what voltage the battery pack will shut down
(or, alternatively, and more typically, the computer IS the protective circuitry), and so
the computer will shut down to low-power mode BEFORE the battery pack fails completely.
This allows the computer to protect your data by providing for an orderly shutdown while
there is still enough battery power to shut down cleanly.)

-RDH

zhuntai

Newly Enlightened
Haha... wow RDH. That was awesome. Now I understand. Thanks for that. :D *props*

On a computer/devices with accurate battery metering, you need to discharge battery until its flat(power manager disabled and computer shuts off from low battery) and recharge it completely every few months.

This isn't to condition the cells themselves, but to calibrate the Smart Battery monitor so your battery gauge remains accurate.

As for care, keep unused batteries about half discharged and store in a cool place. Don't store them fully charged for a long time, but if you have the need to have your spares fully charged, don't let this stop you. What I mean is that if you won't be using your camcorder for months, don't leave the batteries fully charged.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes what RDh said, "INFO" lithium , can be as wrong as dumbo lithium.
our cameras will read 120min, and in 45 it might be dead anyways.
the info can only know so much, like how well it worked last time it had to do that. and about how much juice your using at the time.
with laptops you could go from using little power, to playing an intensive game that sucks it dry fast.

give me a good meter on the battery that shows about its charge state, and i would prefer it to the useless computer "info" that is in them now.

zhuntai

Newly Enlightened
I actually remember good ole Dell batteries I think it was that had a little LED meter build into the batter pack and you could press a button and it would lite up how much charge it still had. Not sure if it was by 'dumbo' computer or not though.