Lithium or NiMH for the stinger?

M.Maddox

Newly Enlightened
Trying to decide on a light here, and I'm considering the Streamlight Stinger (looking for a fairly small high 'throw' high output light) but I hate NiCad batteries. Anyone know if you can get other types of batteries for it?

Thanks!

michael word

Newly Enlightened
You can find Ni-MH batteries on e-bay but it will about tripple the charging time on the standard charger and you can't leave it on the charger all the time like the Ni-Cad battery and the smart charger will ruin the battery. If you search for fivemega, he has made adapters to hold rechargerable Li-ions for use with the ultra stinger bulb but unless you are able to change the lens over to a glass one it will melt. As long as you cycle the battery at least once a month you wont have any memory problems, you can leave it on the charger all of the time, and you can get replacement batteries for as low as $5.95 from fox international.

M.Maddox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Does the charger have an anti-memory "burp" feature, so that if I use the light for a short duration and put it back on the charger, it won't cause it to have a memory? Or will running it all the way down once a month kill any memory effects (assuming the charger is a standard charger). Thanks!

michael word

Newly Enlightened
The charger is just a simple trickle charger but running it down once or twice a month until the light starts to dim will take care of memory.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish the Nicad memory myth would disappear. There's no such thing.

A "Burp" charger is also known as a reflex (or Negative-V) charger. Extensive testing as shown that reflex charging does nothing to a Nicad.

There are some 2400 MAH Nicad sticks running around, and they work good. And you could still use the stock charger.

Nicad's, overall, seem to be on the way out, and they're getting tougher to find.

And, except for Fivemega's mod, there's no Li-Ion option for the Stinger family.

--dan

HCaul

Newly Enlightened
2400mAh NiCad cells? Are they in an AA form factor? I'd love to get some of those. Do you know of a vendor?

(Why would I want NiCad cells, you ask? NiCad cells have better high current characteristics than NiMH cells and so are a much better choice for many flashlight applications. They also last for about twice as many cycles as NiMH cells. The downside is that Cadmium is rather toxic and cannot be disposed of as normal household trash, the cells generally have low energy density compared with NiMH and other newer technologies, and they are generally heavier than NiMH or Li).

Thanks

jarobi

Enlightened
I've had a couple Stingers since 2002. I'd charge them every couple of days, and maybe run them dead or close to it every two or three months. I used them every night at work. They still run close to an hour on the original batteries. A co-worker has one that went seven years on the original battery. It was used nightly, six nights a week. For an LE application, I preferred the Stinger to the Strion. The over discharge protection on the Strion would always kick in at the most inopportune times for me. Just my subjective opinion. I sold the Strion and will never sell the Stingers.