Looking for 200+ Lumen and Less than 3.1"

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
DHart,
DX and KD should hire you to take product photos, you sure make those Romisens look enticing in your photos:sssh:

polkiuj

Enlightened
Any Q5 and above XR-E (provided you got a decent reflector/optic) direct driven on a RCR123A should give you more than 200 lumens OTF.

A really small light to consider is a Lummi Raw.

Although it's not a RCR123A but it does come with a charger and batteries. =D

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey STI.... how do you like your RC-C3 Q5 from Shiningbeam? Awesome litle light, isn't it! One rides in my front jeans pocket every day. Potent little blaster! (BTW, I'm an STI fan... Edge in .40)

And thanks to all for appreciating the images. I do this for a living, so I would hope they'd be half-way decent! :ohgeez: :grin2:

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Interestingly, as seen in my beamshots above, the TLS Q5 head on my E1e appears to pick up a little more distant detail through/beyond the pergola than even my Malkoff M60! That might be attributed to a slight difference in how the lights were pointed, though. In any event, the TLS Q5 head on the E1e body is an amazingly potent little light.

Hi,

Thank you for all the information on the TLS Q5 head on the Surefire E1E body. Please could you let me know the length and the runtime using either an AW 16340 or AW IMR 16340 cell. I am interested in this set up because the head seems to match the colour of the body.

Thanks

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy... I don't know the runtime... haven't measured that yet.

As to the length of the E1e with the TLS head... 104mm (4 1/16")

Of late, I've really been discovering the utility and amazing versatlity of small, multi-level lights.

You might also consider... Nitecore D10 R2. It is 90mm (3.5") 20mm wide. Output is comparable with R2 drop-in lamps for 6P lights and just a tiny hair behind Malkoff M30/M60 lamp output! Yes. That's true. On top of that you get a really l-o-w low and ramping to any intermediate level you might want. Runs on AA alkaline (yuck!), AA lithium primaries, AA NiMH (yes!) and R14500. The D10 is a heck of a lot of flashlight for $60. What you won't have is the tactical nature of the E1e tailcap. But the gains are considerable if you can live without the E1e type tail switch. As a pure tactical flashlight, I would stick with the E1e w/TLS head (or other similar set-ups, like a 3P with M60 lamp), but for any general use, EDC applications, the D10 totally smokes the others. (Having both is best!)

Last edited:

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Andy... I don't know the runtime... haven't measured that yet.

As to the length of the E1e with the TLS head... 104mm (4 1/16")

Of late, I've really been discovering the utility and amazing versatlity of small, multi-level lights.

You might also consider... Nitecore D10 R2. It is 90mm (3.5") 20mm wide. Output is comparable with R2 drop-in lamps for 6P lights and just a tiny hair behind Malkoff M30/M60 lamp output! Yes. That's true. On top of that you get a really l-o-w low and ramping to any intermediate level you might want. Runs on AA alkaline (yuck!), AA lithium primaries, AA NiMH (yes!) and R14500. The D10 is a heck of a lot of flashlight for $60. What you won't have is the tactical nature of the E1e tailcap. But the gains are considerable if you can live without the E1e type tail switch. As a pure tactical flashlight, I would stick with the E1e w/TLS head (or other similar set-ups, like a 3P with M60 lamp), but for any general use, EDC applications, the D10 totally smokes the others. (Having both is best!)

Thanks DHart, the TLS head looks like a winner for me. I will check out the Nitecore D10 R2.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one misses a tiny bit on length - 3.25". It has memory mode using a different driver than the original HDS and exceeds 200 Lumens by about 400 Lumens (estimated 600 Lumens with IMR 16340). Apoligies to those who have seen these 2 pics before but it's the most exciting pocket rocket I've seen and I haven't had time yet to do a good writeup on it with beam shots and so on:

hdsp7c1.jpg

hdsp7web.jpg

It will of course cost a bit more than a Romisen :whistle:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman... every time I see that quad mini brute of your'n I crave to have one! That's a very cool light... and IIRC, it is multi-level, isn't it? That would make it super versatile.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that reminds me.
Sabrewolf's Mini EDC is about 3.1", it comes with a P7 or MC-E. It's a nuclear pocket rocket.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman... every time I see that quad mini brute of your'n I crave to have one! That's a very cool light... and IIRC, it is multi-level, isn't it? That would make it super versatile.

Hi Dhart, Yes it has 3 User Interfaces and one UI has 8 levels. I know one other UI is 5 level and the 3rd I forget but it's got some of the most programming of any light I have including the latest Liteflux XT series.

Zereul - thanks for mentioning Sabrewolf - I knew some one else had built a custom small light with a P7 also and couldn't remember who else (besides darkzero) had done one. You don't happen to have a link to that thread on his light do you?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zereul - thanks for mentioning Sabrewolf - I knew some one else had built a custom small light with a P7 also and couldn't remember who else (besides darkzero) had done one. You don't happen to have a link to that thread on his light do you?

Here's the thread.

I have Mini EDC myself, and I say it's a very useful light. You can set it to a simple Hi & Low mode, to selective brightness or to a more comprehensive mode with all the strobe stuff thrown in. Smallest light with P7 I know :thinking: No problem with heatsinking as long as we don't use it more than 20 minutes on full blast.

gt5oh

Newly Enlightened
Anything new in the works? I dont get to stop by here much anymore.

gt5oh

Newly Enlightened
my requirements have changed a bit

im looking for something cr123 and small as can be but also the brightest lumens possible - what are my choices?

Even if its custom made, I need something blindingly bright

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
my requirements have changed a bit

im looking for something cr123 and small as can be but also the brightest lumens possible - what are my choices?

Even if its custom made, I need something blindingly bright

The absolute brightest you can get is a P7 or MC-E running at 2.2~3A at the tail with an IMR 16340 (cr123 size).

The downside is that no one can make it go over 350 out the front lumens. Absolutely no one.

Check MrGmans sticky in LED section on top regarding lumen readings. Due to the size of the CR123 and the heatsinking or lack of in a small light you will not get 350 plus out the front.

My combo for the absolute smallest and brightest is a Surefire 3P parts. It is a 3.20in lengh, P60 compatible light. With a Malkoff MC-E on direct drive or a DX MC-E P60 drop-in and a IMR 16340 they make 330 out the front as tested by MrGman.

Here are my Surefire 3.6in legos...
P1200022.jpg

Here are the 3.20in vs 3.5in Surefire 3P parts
P2200049.jpg

Finally my ultimate the 3in Surefire 3P Parts plus it fits the P60 P7/MC-E with no issues if you run an IMR 16340 in it.

P3030073-1.jpg

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true. Absolutely Beautiful photographs !

:wow::goodjob::kewlpics:

DHart, you must have a VERY nice cell-phone camera !

:cool:

PS: my first ever multi-quote post. :p

_

Burgess... thank you... I'm very glad you appreciate the images! As for the camera... yeah, it helps a bit, but it's really more in what you do with the camera and the lighting, composition, etc. that makes the difference. ;)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P7s and MC-E in the 3P configuration powered by an IMR 16340 do a pretty great job of offering great brightness in a small package... these options are something to consider for sure.

MP7_FM3P.jpg

P7Goodness.jpg

Legos_ends.jpg