Looking for 3 lamps

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
What output level is required for your greenscreen project? 5-6 degrees FWHM, total beam width? Uniform brightness across that arc, or hotspot-and-spill? Is PWM okay? What power is available (I've seen everything from stage power connections to 'a car battery in a backpack') on site? Runtime, budget, fixture size? Why LED?

Edit: I ask all these questions because it sounds like you're after an extremely customized system (That you have not specified very well). Perhaps you can contact some of the custom flashlight producers here to work with them on creating a design, then building it? They do good work, but I don't know what they charge or if they'd be interested.

Edit2: What runtime are you after? If only an hour, you can use an array of more-common flashlights rather than a custom machined custom light.

Last edited:

joe7dust

Newly Enlightened
I want an ultra-bright LED covered in a reflective housing that focuses a beam out of it at 5 degrees angle and should run off 110v AC adapter or 5V USB. None of the other things you asked I am particular about so fill in the blank so to speak. LED for cooler temp, lower power consumption, & longer life. Runtime pretty much all the time just like the lights in my room. I've heard that glass LED are best if you can find them as the plastic/epoxy in the others can degrade over time and make them dimmer.

There's no output level requirements really for the green screen lights. I should probably just get a sheet of cloth and replace it. I have a feeling this green plasticy material is too reflective.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surely some level of output matters. Otherwise I'd suggest a 3x array of 10mm LEDs hacked onto a resistor and USB charger that put out about thirty lumen total, and meet your other requirements. That might take an hour putting parts together and cost $20. Let's put it this way: What lights will also be on during filming?

The rest of it comes down to how much money you want to throw a it. "Fill in the blanks" is the best or worst things a custom creator wants to hear, depending on if he wants to see you again or pick you clean. It's sort of annoying though, because blank checks never come out right. What if I guess wrong? Maybe you didn't want to spend the money to have 10klux on target, or maybe that was a need you haven't told us about and will be mad we didn't "make it bright enough."

Heck, if dim is acceptable, so is dimming. At decent power levels even epoxy LEDs last for a few years. I feel like you know exactly what you want, but aren't communicating very well. What's an example of something like what you want? If you're doing video work, you should be very picky about some of the things I've asked and you've waved off.

In terms of design or suggestions, I'm not comfortable suggesting on such a vaguely specified request.

joe7dust

Newly Enlightened
Surely some level of output matters. Otherwise I'd suggest a 3x array of 10mm LEDs hacked onto a resistor and USB charger that put out about thirty lumen total, and meet your other requirements. That might take an hour putting parts together and cost $20. Let's put it this way: What lights will also be on during filming?

The rest of it comes down to how much money you want to throw a it. "Fill in the blanks" is the best or worst things a custom creator wants to hear, depending on if he wants to see you again or pick you clean. It's sort of annoying though, because blank checks never come out right. What if I guess wrong? Maybe you didn't want to spend the money to have 10klux on target, or maybe that was a need you haven't told us about and will be mad we didn't "make it bright enough."

Heck, if dim is acceptable, so is dimming. At decent power levels even epoxy LEDs last for a few years. I feel like you know exactly what you want, but aren't communicating very well. What's an example of something like what you want? If you're doing video work, you should be very picky about some of the things I've asked and you've waved off.

In terms of design or suggestions, I'm not comfortable suggesting on such a vaguely specified request.
Forget the green screen. I think a new fabric will be fine with the lights I already have. I just want the LED spotlight that I described.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the green screen. I think a new fabric will be fine with the lights I already have. I just want the LED spotlight that I described.

I'm afraid I don't have much to go on to give a recommendation. It's actually tougher to give a good suggestion without more guidance.

In general, if you're doing video these questions are the minimum, and you might pass on two or three:

Beam profile: [shape and distribution] [Beam angle], like "Circle 5 degrees with sharp cutoff."
Light output: [Lux at distance] or [Total output], like "4000 lux at ten meters" or "500 lumens"
CRI: [Range], probably 90 with fluorescent, 85 with LED
CCT: [Range], probably 4000-6000K CCT. This one is most apparent and mixed CCT is damned difficult to correct in post.
Light source: [Real limits]. "Portable unit near cameraman's head, cannot be too hot. Must last stated time." LED and some incandescent or HID would work in that case.
Power supply: [What is available], like "Batteries only," or "xx Volt DC supply"
Runtime: [Time to run, time between recharges], like "Sufficient for 5-hour shoots" or "Eight hour shooting weekend without recharge" or "Must be wall power" or "Any"
Budget: [range], like "$300-$500"

From what I can tell, you've specified these things and skipped some biggies.

Beam profile: [shape and distribution] [5-6 degrees] (A mini mag lite has that beam angle, with spill though.)
Light output: Not a thing
CRI: ??
CCT: ?? (This one's very hard to fix in post)
Light source: "1 or 3 LED." But why not four? Or two? I can't tell if this is a requirement or a buzzword you've seen.
Power supply: 110v (wall wart, I assume) or 5v DC (USB power is usually limited to 5W)
Runtime: "Like usual" ???
Budget: ??

So far you haven't specified anything beyond what's available in the crap video lights section on B&H Photo sales. If you really can't think of anything else, the Stanley 10W LED with a beefier 12v power supply (1 amp, 12V) should run indefinitely in reasonable temperatures. It has high output, a concentrated beam, and is light. Budget: $50 for the light, $20 for the power supply, and duct tape to stick it on a camera.

More detail is better!

joe7dust

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid I don't have much to go on to give a recommendation. It's actually tougher to give a good suggestion without more guidance.

In general, if you're doing video these questions are the minimum, and you might pass on two or three:

Beam profile: [shape and distribution] [Beam angle], like "Circle 5 degrees with sharp cutoff."
Light output: [Lux at distance] or [Total output], like "4000 lux at ten meters" or "500 lumens"
CRI: [Range], probably 90 with fluorescent, 85 with LED
CCT: [Range], probably 4000-6000K CCT. This one is most apparent and mixed CCT is damned difficult to correct in post.
Light source: [Real limits]. "Portable unit near cameraman's head, cannot be too hot. Must last stated time." LED and some incandescent or HID would work in that case.
Power supply: [What is available], like "Batteries only," or "xx Volt DC supply"
Runtime: [Time to run, time between recharges], like "Sufficient for 5-hour shoots" or "Eight hour shooting weekend without recharge" or "Must be wall power" or "Any"
Budget: [range], like "$300-$500"

From what I can tell, you've specified these things and skipped some biggies.

Beam profile: [shape and distribution] [5-6 degrees] (A mini mag lite has that beam angle, with spill though.)
Light output: Not a thing
CRI: ??
CCT: ?? (This one's very hard to fix in post)
Light source: "1 or 3 LED." But why not four? Or two? I can't tell if this is a requirement or a buzzword you've seen.
Power supply: 110v (wall wart, I assume) or 5v DC (USB power is usually limited to 5W)
Runtime: "Like usual" ???
Budget: ??

So far you haven't specified anything beyond what's available in the crap video lights section on B&H Photo sales. If you really can't think of anything else, the Stanley 10W LED with a beefier 12v power supply (1 amp, 12V) should run indefinitely in reasonable temperatures. It has high output, a concentrated beam, and is light. Budget: $50 for the light, $20 for the power supply, and duct tape to stick it on a camera.

More detail is better!
Looking to spend less than $20. This doesn't have to be high quality. 2 or 4 led is fine, just thought 3 points or 1 point would be smaller and more focused. Run-time should be pretty much 24/7. Less spill the better.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
With electronics time:

Buy a DealExtreme 'flood to throw' light and put it in the almost-focused setting. Or add a circular mask over the LED. Cob together a DC plug to replace its tailcap and feed the light about 3.5-4.5v at 500mA. You may find benefit from painting the inside of the lens holder and LED cover (But not the LENS or LED DOME) black to reduce spill. Budget: $15 and parts. Output: ~100L, adjustable spot size. May give a square spot on full focus without circular mask.

OR

Without electronics time:
Hell if I know. I don't know of many wall-plug fixture LEDs for $20, much less ones with a narrow spot. Really, any single-emitter wall-plug LED can be made to be a low-output spot with a snoot, though. Check cheap/low power video lights and 'spot' bulbs online? I hope this helps, because it's what I've got.

joe7dust

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't find any "single-emitter wall-plug LED" when I looked before. Can you link one? The first rig you suggested sounds too powerful. I probably only need 50 lumens.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm. Check out a GU10 (Or is it GU110?) style light and fixture. Those are often single-emitters, especially the 'spot' style ones, and their fixtures are just a funny-shaped socket, with no transformer required.

joe7dust

Newly Enlightened
Hm. Check out a GU10 (Or is it GU110?) style light and fixture. Those are often single-emitters, especially the 'spot' style ones, and their fixtures are just a funny-shaped socket, with no transformer required.

OK but how do I go about powering this?

almost looks like that LED lamp could overload the USB.

Which lamp are you referring to? The one he linked is 110V not USB. I am using a 110V to USB converter for power if I go with a 5V lighting solution, not an actual laptop or computer.

Newuser01

Enlightened
You can find some LED table lamps at Target for cheap. Have you seen them?
If you can use them, than it is done. It comes with power adapter for it and the lamp neck is adjustable.

They have a few different ones and most are very adjustable. Check their web site and search "LED Lamp".
The one I have linked for you is cheap , 15 bucks, single large led and some are even clip on type.

Have fun.

jason 77

Enlightened
You can find some LED table lamps at Target for cheap. Have you seen them?
If you can use them, than it is done. It comes with power adapter for it and the lamp neck is adjustable.

They have a few different ones and most are very adjustable. Check their web site and search "LED Lamp".
The one I have linked for you is cheap , 15 bucks, single large led and some are even clip on type.
Have fun.

I don't know where the OP lives but Ikea has the same type of LED lamp for cheap as well.