Looking for a decently bright stainless steel 1xAAA

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know of a decently bright (AT LEAST 60 lumens) 1xAAA light to use as a keychain light? Multiple modes are preferred. And it MUST be stainless steel - I just don't like that 'trashed' look that aluminum lights get after being in your pocket with keys. A clicky would also be preferred if possible. But I'm willing to get a twisty if the light otherwise meets my needs.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
A Peak Eiger comes to mind. Available in a number of configurations in stainless. It's a bit big and heavy for my tastes but it's built like a tank and very simple with a variable output QTC.

You also might also look at a titanium Foursevens Preon. Not stainless but doesn't have anodization that can wear off.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the dqg is in a class of its own when it comes to a small aaa, sized for a keychain.

beard55

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the Peak Eiger, does anyone know if choosing the high CRI LED has a negative impact on brightness or throw?

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Regarding the Peak Eiger, does anyone know if choosing the high CRI LED has a negative impact on brightness or throw?

Choosing high cri and or neutral white and or warm white will always cost you lumens and lux over the cool white equivalent of the same LED. While is varies somewhat by LED a factor of about 7% is a reasonable rule of thumb. That loss is on the verge of human perception between not being able to tell the difference to barely perceptible so a lot of folks think the loss is worth the improved color fidelity. Just remember warmer does not mean higher CRI, although most high CRI lights are warmer - you have to check the CRI rating of the LED.

Personally i I love the Nichia 219 4500k LEDs but I find anything much warmer too warm. Not a fan of the 3700K CREE products that are readily available in a number of production lights, but everyone's tastes are different.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
the dqg is in a class of its own when it comes to a small aaa, sized for a keychain.

I actually got this light some time back. I have to admit I REALLY like the minimalist styling. But as a light, it leaves ALOT to be desired. The 90 rated lumens are in fact more like 30 (it's VERY comparable to an L3 Illuminations L10 on medium). And it flickers due to a poor connection somewhere. So I'm looking for something better.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't post a link, but you could google HKJ's July 2011 review of single AAA lights, most of them are SS.
I really like my 47's ReVO SS S2, but they don't do that model any longer, sadly (current controlled, bright as anything on high, good low and medium levels, it's such a good little light, it goes everywhere on my keyring, and has been so useful so often; and still looks like it did the day I got it, and trust me, it's had a hard life! Some of the other stuff on the same keyring is in pretty bad shape).
Then there's the LuminTop WORM Stainless Steel, with the XP-G R5 it's max output is 70lm, and it has 2 modes - 10/70lm.
There's also the Maratac AAA stainless steel. 3 Modes, 1.5/18/80lm (oops already suggested). Or their 2 mode polished SS, 1.5/115lm.
Or the Nitecore T5s 3-Mode (which seems amazingly similar to the Revo SS which I like).
There are quite a few options out there that meet your needs.
If you're going for el-cheapo, you could take a look at the TrustFire MINI-03 Cree XP-G R5 3-Mode.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually got this light some time back. I have to admit I REALLY like the minimalist styling. But as a light, it leaves ALOT to be desired. The 90 rated lumens are in fact more like 30 (it's VERY comparable to an L3 Illuminations L10 on medium). And it flickers due to a poor connection somewhere. So I'm looking for something better.

Sounds like you got a old model with a loose pill. i always had to tighten that pill down on the older versions. The new model have no threaded pill that might work its way loose. Have had no issues at all with the two last versions (glued).
The wide hotspot from the tir optic means less lux than a reflectored light. The lumens are there, but more spread out, so less lux in the hotspot.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

dlong0609

Newly Enlightened
It's a twisty but I love my Fenix LD01 in stainless (modded by Gunga to Nichia 219)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my 47's ReVO SS S2, but they don't do that model any longer, sadly (current controlled, bright as anything on high, good low and medium levels, it's such a good little light, it goes everywhere on my keyring, and has been so useful so often; and still looks like it did the day I got it, and trust me, it's had a hard life! Some of the other stuff on the same keyring is in pretty bad shape).

Approaching 3 yrs on a keychain... still best ever AAA. It's a real shame it's no longer sold.
8561907595_cac1325c40.jpg

cornholio2188

Newly Enlightened
I've played around with the maratac aaa-very, very nice. Heard good things about the olight ss...same for the preon P0,cqg s1, and a bunch of ultrafire and aurora lights...lol

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played around with the maratac aaa-very, very nice. Heard good things about the olight ss...same for the preon P0,cqg s1, and a bunch of ultrafire and aurora lights...lol

Maratac AAA SS - Looks like a GREAT light. I would get one. But it is currently not available.

CQG S1 - I actually bought one of these. It's GARBAGE! It's rated in Chinese lumens - 90 lumens is more like 30. And it flickers. At least it looks nice and didn't cost much.

Preon P0 - Only 25 lumens max.

Baroudi84

Newly Enlightened
OrKlarus mix5 is a AAAA light 76 lumens relatively cheap.. Man I've been touting this thing quite a bit lately someone from Klarus should hook me up. :devil: