Looking for a good wind-up radio.

jtice

Flashaholic
I am after a good wind up radio.

There are quite a few times I am out somewhere, camping, riding, etc, that I would like to take a radio.

I fugured a wind up one would be best, since I dont have to constantly see if the battiers are fresh before I leave.

I would also like it to be simi water proof, and pickup weather stations.
But those aren't a Must have.

Anyone know of a good one?
~John

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Eton FR250. See it here. I had never heard of this maker, but apparently they make Grundig as well, which I have heard of. This one has the windup AM/FM/SW, 3-LED light, siren and you can charge your cell phone off it. I keep this one with my bugout stuff, and its always worked as its supposed to.

cheers

jtice

Flashaholic
Stormdrane,
thanks, I saw that one today while searching, looks nice, like that its water resistant.

Powernoodle,
thats the main one I have been seeing, well, the FR200.
and yes, it seems that Grundig and Eton are the same.

How does it sound?
I am not expecting much from a little radio like this,
but it would be nice for it to at least sound good enough for a few ppl sitting around the camp fire.

~John

buba

Newly Enlightened
I noticed many come in either AM/FM/SW or AM/FM/Weather/TV. Which would be the best to have the SW or Weather/TV?

Thanks

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If everything in your area was knocked out by a hurricane or nuke attack, it might be better to have SW, because you wouldnt be receiving any local tv or NOAA. But at night, you can still pickup AM stations that are skipping in from hundreds of miles away.

I'd rather have tv and NOAA, I think.

cheers

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those radios all look very good and definitely has more functions than mine. I've just got a small Freeplay radio. The small, older model with the wind-up spring. Only AM/FM. But it works well and very robust. Not particulary weather resistant though.

Any one of these wind-up radios have digital tuning? I find it quite hard to tune in to a particular station, especially in a busy city where there are multiple stations in close proximity, or when the signal is weak like out in the bush. Multiple stations is especially a pain. Anyone been in Singapore? BBC at 89.0, RiaFM at 89.7, GoldFM at 90.5, something at 91.3, Symphony at 92.4, and so on... 0.7 MHz is not easily distinguished on my Freeplay radio.

buba

Newly Enlightened
I had a $25 amazon gift certificate and put it toward the FR400 unit. I looked hard at the FR200 and FR300's but the weather resistance and small size made me decide to give it a try dispite a couple of neg reviews about Radio/TV channel separation problems on amazon. Thus far I am happy I did. Everything works as advertised with no signal separation issues on the unit I received. But then I live 70 miles from the nearest TV transmitter. Once again thanks for everyones advice.

jtice

Flashaholic
Cool Buba,

I looked at that one also.
I ended up getting a FR200 off ebay.
I heard it has the best reception of all the models.

I just got a confirmation for shipping today,
so I might have it by the end of the week :)
I will let you know what I think of it!

~John