Looking for an oddball; probably custom?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks again guys! There definitely seems to be some great metals now coming out for both holding an edge as well as being impervious to corrosive environments! I really like the simplicity and safety of the Benchmade 7 hook and I came up with a funky but serviceable means of having one with me out there at all times.

DSC_3443.jpg

DSC_3448.jpg

I stitched some webbing directly to the fin and then fastened a custom delirin bobbin/ snap in such a position that the hook's loop is retained by the overlap of the bobbin that flares at the top. The webbing snaps down over the bobbin for added security. No doubt the water flow is disturbed by this addition but not that I can sense or feel when kicking. I also shoved a short NITINOL probe that has a Ti Ball on one end in the scabbard.

I mentioned that I also purchased a Mission MPF-3 knife because I know from experience that they require absoluty zero maintenance and they are made from a metal that is near and dear to me! :nana:

On the invoice, I was charged for the UPS freight which corresponded with my web order but the package was actually shipped via USPS which is much better, price wise. I contacted Mission regarding the good news/ bad news (good that they went with a much more reasonable shipping service but bad that my invoice wasn't updated accordingly).

I received a very nice e-mail from them and they offered to send me a sharpener to compensate for the disparity. They also requested any pictures I might be able to provide them of me using the knife. Well self portrait while using a knife, especially in the environment I would likely use it isn't a trivial or staged proposition! I figured I'd take some UW shots of the knife and maybe that would be something different at least. At home in a hostile environment...

DSC_3438.jpg

When I am swimming with the big camera, the added drag of a knife and light on my waist is negligible. Today I took the knife out again and I came across one of the Hawksbill turtles, "Rocket Girl" and she was feeding on a weed/ plant that I had never seen them eat before. The stem or trunk on these plants is really stiff and sturdy. I actually had call to use the knife as I wanted to see how the turtle would respond to an offering of its present food choice.

DSC_3515.jpg

DSC_3508.jpg

I think she recognized what I was holding in my hand but she made no direct or quick move for it. She may have been processing the situation but I can't hold my breath like she can so I dropped it down in front of her and went to the surface. She did go for it and ate it.

DSC_3521.jpg

I ended up serving her a couple of the plants. :)

The 7 hook might have worked for cutting this plant but I was actually glad I had the knife at the time. Any tool even remotely suited for the task is better than no tool at all. I go out there often completely unarmed and now at least I will have the 7 hook and probably carry a knife as well.

RyanA, I have seen some good footage of a Triton nailing a Crown of Thorns. I have not come across another Triton out here and doubt I will. I do see a COT rather often but only one when I do see them so nothing to be concerned about.

Cave Dave,

Good point about the merits of a larger and easier to grasp knife in an emergency. In the case of line or tether fouling though, I think the 7 hook would be much safer and easier to work with. A ladybug or the little Boker Ceramic folder would be infinitely better than nothing though!!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Don,

I think when they said they wanted action pics of the knife they meant attached to those bikini clad girls you sometimes take pics of your lights with.
:poke:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dave,
I won't go there but I'll send you off in another direction. :) Do you realize the trouble one could cause with one of those model 7 hooks from benchmade on a beach populated with string bikini clad gals!:whistle:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
A bit of an update. I have been wearing he Mission MPF-3 on my waist and the hook7 is stored on my fin. I have been getting in the ocean almost daily.

I tried the hook7 on a piece of 1/8" spectra to confirm that it could cut it when I first got the tool and that is all it has been used on; one piece of line.

I took the hook out of the integrated fin sheath today and was surprised at what I think I am seeing:

DSC_4571.jpg

DSC_4572.jpg

I suppose I should take it out and look at it under the microscope and remove the discoloration. These two shots were taken underwater which explains the strange lighting.

The Mission Ti knife has been used to cut some algae which has been no real test for it but it looks the same now as it did the first day I got it and I know I can count on it not changing or corroding....

moeman

Enlightened
WOW, i am really dissapointed in seeing that happen.

Hey, Don if i sent you one of my Spyderco Salt knives to EDC would you? I am curious to see how it would hold up.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Moeman,
Thanks for the offer but I have a couple of the Salt knives already. One is mounted on one of my SurfSkis (sit on top kayak). It has been attached, in its plastic scabbard, to a deck bag now for over a year and possibly two years. Please understand that I don't do anything about cleaning it or rinsing it beyond rain that hits it.

DSC_3122.jpg

DSC_3124.jpg

DSC_3125.jpg

I recall looking at it a while back and seeing some surface bloom but I just took it out to look at and possibly photograph a few minutes ago and I felt it was worthy of photographing as opposed to just commenting on.

I have no doubt it is a good knife and with any reasonable care and maintenance, it probably wouldn't look like it does. I haven't tried to clean it off or look at it under a scope to see what damage it may have suffered. I think at this point, there is evidence of some corrosion that goes beyond just the surface.

If someone accused me of not taking proper care of this knife, I would plead no contest. On the other hand, claims of no corrosion need to be qualified to some extent I would think?!? I have some Ti tools that have been left to the elements for much longer than this knife and they have not corroded at all.

In fairness, I am going to take a quick break and see what some scotch brite will do to this knife....

OK, most of the bloom came off but it looks like there are some pits which actually were evident as dark spots prior to a scrub. The edge seems to be in good shape and most of the areas showing corrosion are in the blank surfaces where there has been no grinding. Considering the neglect, I think the knife has held up well. I wonder if scuffing it with the 3M abrasive will have any effect on future corrosion resistance. I don't recall ever using this knife, unlike the 7hook which shows bloom where I made the single cut through some spectra.

It is going back on the surfski.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Green,
:nana:

Again in fairness to Spyderco and Benchmade, reasonable care and maintenance would not result in what I have shown. If the metal would have been typical knife steel or the common stainless steels, the corrosion would have been worse I would guess. 316 Stainless Steel should do as well and likely better but then forget any edge! :shrug:

If anything, these pics might help illustrate why some of us or at least me, does have a preference for titanium and not because it is a bling material.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Your pictures are somewhat disturbing. H1 is supposed to be one of the only truly stainless steel alloys out there. It's supposed to be pretty much incapable of rusting in any environment that wouldn't kill you.
I'm amazed and shocked.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I would, by the way, strongly suggest that you show Spyderco these pictures. I have a feeling Sal would be pretty interested in seeing this knife.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would, by the way, strongly suggest that you show Spyderco these pictures. I have a feeling Sal would be pretty interested in seeing this knife.

As chance would have it, I did just alert Jurphaas to this thread. I got the knife from him. I think I might have met Sal at a SF Boat Show many many years ago when Spyderco was still quite young and their line was specifically targeting the marine industry. I bought a folder, I think from him,at the show. I got a lot of service out of that knife!! Beyond that, I don't know Sal at all. Interestingly, I believe he was friends with a mutual friend in Santa Cruz boat builder and 60's participant, Ron Moore. I got to know Ron when I was distributing marine supplies and Ron once suggested I contact Sal, I think in regards about becoming a Spyder Co dealer or distributor. As I recall, Ron saw my knife and mentioned he knew the owner. I felt the knife was the best tool for a boater at the time and still suspect their marine line is premium gear.

The knife above is in an emergency service only application and it is left completely unattended and ignored. Neglect is probably one of the greatest tests any gear (or person for that matter) can be subjected to.

Jurphaas

Newly Enlightened
Hi Don and all other contributors to this ineresting post. My name is Jurphaas van Rietschoten and I work for Spyderco as their European representative. Due to my interest in LED lights and my love for nature and the environment, I came upon Don's product and his McGizmo corner on CPF, of which I am a long time member, and his "Maui Time (Pictures)" post.
Altough the looks of the Caspian salt shown might be frightening, I recal a case a couple of years ago where Spyderco (read, the owner Sal Glesser) got allarmed by a report of rust on an H1 folder. The knife was requested to be sent in for investigation and research. What we found was that not the H-1 steel corroded, but merely some residue from the tooling used in the production process. Minute particles of residue sticked to the blade and started to corrode, turning brown and ugly after being in contact with salt water. I believe we since made arrangements with our Japanese partner to thoroughly rinse and clean the blades of this residue.
Alhough Spyderco goes the extra mile with extensive research and testing in house, we are always allert and interested when reports like this are brought to our attention. I like to invited Don to return the knife with its sheath to Spyderco for evaluation. I will send the URL of this post to Sal and explain the situation and concerns to him. I am positive that he will replace the knife Don.
Don, thank you very much, for informing me about this situation as I missed this post when you started it.

Please send your knife with a brief note telling about this CPF post and mention my name to:
SPYDERCO Inc.
Attn: Sal Glesser / Warranty & Repair dept.
820 Spyderco Way
Golden, CO 80403.

Be good and stay safe!
Jurphaas

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Don, you really know how to neglect your stuff :p

A high polish and coating a boeshield (avail at marine stores) should help ward off rust.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about something like this :

karambot4.jpg

next to a Strider SNG and made by yours truly - 1/4" thick 6AL4V Titanium - what I call the Karambot since it's also got a bottle opener. Just add one of your Ti clips and some Kydex to cover the blade. I don't sell these but if I can make this I'm betting you could do one something like this. It's also got a lanyard hole. Having the holes for your fingers insures you won't drop it easily in the ocean and the 'natural rip claw' makes it easy to cut things with a pulling action.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Jurphaas! :wave:

My first thought was to surface contamination because I have encountered it often when I was in the marine industry and experienced it first hand on some custom 316 stainless boat parts I made.

I would be happy to send the knife in to Spyderco but only if they want to see it. Unfortunately I did take some scotch brite to it and removed the majority of bloom. I don't know if the pitting I seem to be seeing could result from corrosion growth on the surface but it wouldn't surprise me. If the growth limited the flow of oxygen as well as trapped some free chlorine ions (presuming I have my chemistry right) pitting is common on many steels otherwise not prone to corrosion. Well at least I know this can be a killer of 316.

Back to the return, I am satisfied with your conjecture and the business part of the blade on this knife looks just fine at this point. Again, in its application, I don't use it and frankly hope I never need to use it! Cosmetic discoloration might be a plus should someone happen upon the knife with thoughts of "borrowing" it.

I read somewhere that Strider was working with NiTiNOL and although quite exotic, I think it would be the ultimate material for this oddball I seek.

Matrixshaman,

Nice work!! I have given some thought to doing my own thing with a hunk of 6-4, probably along the lines of some of Peter Atwood's pocket tools but with a line cutting notch similar the the hook7. Your knife there scares me! :nana: I wouldn't want to be in the same room or same ocean with that thing! :green: When you have a dive mask on, your vision is really restricted and much of what you do is by feel. I wouldn't want to encounter that point the wrong way!!