Looking for light with deep red led(s) (640nm-690nm)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Radio Shack sells "jumbo" 660nm red bare LEDs; they're too dim for anything other than locating (viewing directly as opposed to projecting a beam), but they're cheap and in the same place with all the other parts you'd need to put together something simple..

mandat

Newly Enlightened
once you have seen a true red - you will never go back - in some way you might feel fooled by the companies, because in comparison the normal red won't appear red at all - it just feels impure, it feels diluted, just to be brighter

if i could i would do a flashlight myself, but this is not my field of expertise - but i am willing to spend some money for a solid custom lamp with the features i described in a post above

calipsoii, i went through your threads already - those are some cool things you do but it is not really what i am looking for - but it seems you have got enough customers already :)

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be too large a form factor, but I'd talk to Nailbender on the custom modified bst section of this forum and get him to make you a P60 dropin with a Osram 660nm 3W Red LED
And buy a Solarforce L2M

mandat

Newly Enlightened
True true, I use Lights with low lows to keep my night vision .04 of a lumen is what I use to navigate at 3 am when the baby cries.

CarpentryHero, what lights are those, that can go that low?

Solarforce L2M

well, i need a an actual dimming wheel of some kind - like the Sunwaymans StarHalo mentioned - actually they look better to me everyday - if only they`d give out actual floodlight - i will look for some beamshots - then, of course, there would be the question finding the right custom builder for that

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...well, i need a an actual dimming wheel of some kind - like the Sunwaymans StarHalo mentioned - actually they look better to me everyday - if only they`d give out actual floodlight - i will look for some beamshots - then, of course, there would be the question finding the right custom builder for that
One thing to consider is that when swapping emitters some modders may alter the throw or flood somewhat of the finished product by shaving or shimming the reflector (changing exactly where the LED sits in relation to the reflector)

So, as you inquire about different modders be sure to ask if they have ever varied the depth of the LED in the reflector.

Be sure to keep us up to date on this project.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Ti is a AAA light is affordable and the two modes are .04 and 60 lumens.
HDS lights have a low low of .07 lumens
Nitecore IFE2 has a low low of .07 lumens
Sunwayman V10A XPG mine goes as low as the Thrunite
Jetbeam RRT0 XML .06 lumens
Zebralight SC600 is .1 lumens

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
CarpentryHero, what lights are those, that can go that low?

well, i need a an actual dimming wheel of some kind - like the Sunwaymans StarHalo mentioned - actually they look better to me everyday - if only they`d give out actual floodlight - i will look for some beamshots - then, of course, there would be the question finding the right custom builder for that

Put a diffuser film on the lens, CPF marketplace dealers corner or wts area have diffuser film ;)

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Thrunite Ti is a AAA light is affordable and the two modes are .04 and 60 lumens.
HDS lights have a low low of .07 lumens
Nitecore IFE2 has a low low of .07 lumens
Sunwayman V10A XPG mine goes as low as the Thrunite
Jetbeam RRT0 XML .06 lumens
Zebralight SC600 is .1 lumens

The "Locator glow" of my PALights is much, much lower that the 0.2 lumens of my ZL SC60, and is only useable once my eyes have had several minutes of dark adaptation. The lowest setting of my white LED photon is a little lower than the PALight, and my NVG Photon running on 1xCR2032 mattery is lower again (I have to ramp it up slightly to use it for navigating around my house at night).

One of my PALights has a much dimmer "Locator glow" than all the rest, and is way too low to use to see anything beyond finding it in the dark.

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
ANY colour can be used to preserve night vision - moonlight certainly isn't red.

It's just that red is best when you need to use non-nightvision for seeing detail or colour, but want to have minimal impact on quick adaptation to nightvision.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Locator glow" of my PALights is much, much lower that the 0.2 lumens of my ZL SC60, and is only useable once my eyes have had several minutes of dark adaptation. The lowest setting of my white LED photon is a little lower than the PALight, and my NVG Photon running on 1xCR2032 mattery is lower again (I have to ramp it up slightly to use it for navigating around my house at night).

One of my PALights has a much dimmer "Locator glow" than all the rest, and is way too low to use to see anything beyond finding it in the dark.

I ordered three PALights last week, a red a green and a white. I'll let you know if the located glow on them is around .04 lumens or not. My guess is they must be if the locator glow lasts a year

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
..The lowest setting of my white LED photon is a little lower than the PALight, and my NVG Photon running on 1xCR2032 battery is lower again (I have to ramp it up slightly to use it for navigating around my house at night)...
A Covert nose NVG PF on 1xCR2032 is the ultimate in control for experiments in dark adapted vision, IMHO.

It just now occurs to me that a Covert nose Photon Freedom in a deep red would be a very powerful experimenter's tool. The PF's UI would be the ultimate in control for deep red, too, having multiple output levels on the low end most certainly below human perception. The PFs and de-powered PFs are some of the few lights with dim enough output to be able to do serious experiments.

The biggest obstacle to meaningful experiments in dark adapted vision, IMO, is often the difficulty involved in finding lights that can go dim enough in the color(s) you want to play with.

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . The biggest obstacle to meaningful experiments in dark adapted vision, IMO, is often the difficulty involved in finding lights that can go dim enough in the color(s) you want to play with.

Why not buy some budget Neutral Density Filters for cameras. An ND8 is readily available and reduces light levels by a factor of 8 across the whole visible spectrum.

mandat

Newly Enlightened
According to this extremely comprehensive thread it seems the Sunwayman V10 is best suited for very fine dimming in the absolute low regions - exactly what i am looking for in my light. Now, unless someone has a better idea, with a light like this one could think about an emitter swap.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't own a Sunwayman, so CarpentryHero might be able to help you here, but it appears that the reflector assmebly and body tube on these lights is separate; if that's the case, you could remove that part and have a bare emitter/full flood light. I have an older Jetbeam that does this, and it's an extremely useful feature.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not buy some budget Neutral Density Filters for cameras. An ND8 is readily available and reduces light levels by a factor of 8 across the whole visible spectrum.
I have used theatrical filters many times to knock down task lights to an appropriate output level and color, but only as a last resort. It's ok if that is all one can do but I find the filters become another abstraction layer between me and the light. I find the subject of dark adapted vision to be complex, convoluted and very often counterintuitive. For me the filters are too unstable and distracting.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been following this post with interest. I have a couple of suggestions.

The reddest of my led lights are the low red on my RA Twisty 85Tr (Discontinued) which uses the red side led on it's emitter - an Osram Golden Dragon - a superb light and the low red is ideal for night adapted eyes (I use it when I'm indulging in my astronomy hobby - also when checking on the kids at night). An honourable mention must go to the Quark RGB - it's got a CREE RGB MCE led and is also discontinued!!! The low on this is even lower than the Ra and the high is very bright.

I have emailed First Light USA to see what the wavelength is of their red 5mm leds in my Tomahawk MC and ST, they seem more red and less orange than most - but nowhere near as low as the others on their lowest setting.

BTW I have the Sunwayman V10 Ti and also a Nitecore Infilux IFE2 - both variable output designs - the Nitecore has the lower low (much much lower!) so should be in consideration for Red led modding.

Good luch - I'll chime in again when I hear from First Light.

mandat

Newly Enlightened
BTW I have the Sunwayman V10 Ti and also a Nitecore Infilux IFE2 - both variable output designs - the Nitecore has the lower low (much much lower!) so should be in consideration for Red led modding.

That info comes in very handy indeed! Do both lights have the exact same dimming range in the absolute low regions? I know of the Nightcore's longer overall dynamic range. Would you also agree with that post: Should i therefore be worried about Nitecore's negative aspects of their UI too much?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never handled the Nitecore ife2 but I do own a Sunwayman and it is a very smooth transition in brightness with the magnetic control ring.

On a different note my Palight showed and the red is the lowest low of the three colors whirs in the middle and green is the brightest.

I've been sitting in the dark for a half hour waiting for my sun to fall asleep and the located glow is just that, enough to find the light in the dark. The red may not be as dark as you like but it is nice red to my eyes...
Now you have me curious about the darker red led. PALight is definitely worth what I paid for them the low is what I was looking for, A light to check on my little buddy.

Have u figured out what route you'll take yet?