Looking for light with deep red led(s) (640nm-690nm)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two people I've had do emitter swaps for me have been Think2x
And VestureOfBlood. Both great modders, price would probably depend on the difficulty level.

Think2x modded my Novatac SO which should be arriving Monday.

mandat

Newly Enlightened
hmm - maybe the easiest thing is to order some parts from DX and botch something together ...

mandat

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a Sunwayman, so CarpentryHero might be able to help you here, but it appears that the reflector assmebly and body tube on these lights is separate; if that's the case, you could remove that part and have a bare emitter/full flood light. I have an older Jetbeam that does this, and it's an extremely useful feature.

Just did that with a light of mine: 90 degrees of pure flood - just perfect! (probably won`t be waterproof anymore:))

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to strip the emitters off a 110v red LED light, these are very near the range you want:
link removed. see red banner at top of page $10 on closeout
RED LED Grow Light 630nm

I've bought other 110v LED lights from them and been quite happy with their products.

Last edited by a moderator:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simple emitter swap on a Sunwayman V series is what comes to mind, since it is infinitely variable and actually dims low enough for night vision purposes; but this would still be several times more expensive than the Rigel..

StarHalo,

I've been following this thread and look what your post made me do. :whistle:

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet that 110V 630nm light is on closeout Because it's 630nm and not 660nm.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
That info comes in very handy indeed! Do both lights have the exact same dimming range in the absolute low regions? I know of the Nightcore's longer overall dynamic range. Would you also agree with that post: Should i therefore be worried about Nitecore's negative aspects of their UI too much?

Yes generally I agree with the pros and cons in the post you refer to. But I don't find the strobe too annoying to initiate by mistake.

I have a response from First Light - their RED leds are 618 to 627nm.

But it seems you will go the modding route - nice job!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that's rad ... is that for your personal collection, or are you putting it up for sale (hint, hint) :naughty:

Yes it's my personal light, I have both V10A and V10R that I swapped both to HCRI XP-G. I decided (because this thread got my curiosity going) to swap the V10A to the red XP-E, it is a simple reflow job. Let's just say anything can be for sale.

I`ll take it! :wave:

Seriously, looks great. Is that 660nm? How difficult was that to do?

Not 660nm, it's an XP-E 625nm but I can tell you it's a real red to me, I see NO orange in it. Digikey only has 625nm and 590nm in the CREE XP-E and I needed/wanted the XP footprint so I could reflow the swap onto the factory board. It matches color very similar to my Inova X5 red, goes very low and blindingly bright on the 123 body.

Guys,
Feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Jamie

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> 630 not 660
Doubt that matters; I'd guess they used the LEDs that were available a few years ago -- those closeouts are a fairly old design from Axiom.

The last time I looked up a manufacturer's offering (Rebels, I think it was), to specify a wavelength exactly required buying a thousand LEDs -- then they'd test until they could sell you ones that matched your spec within a very narrow range. For smaller lots you get something in a broader range, but not tested and sorted, just "in the range" for that LED.

Photosynthesis varies -- "Most plants had photosynthetic action near or over 90% of peak at all wavelengths from 610 to 680 nm, and near or over 80% of peak from 590 to 685 nm."
http://donklipstein.com/photosyn.html (fairly old info, links in the original)

Here (Fig. 1 of the pdf) are the absorption curves for a variety of different photosynthesis pigments; this is likely where the manufacturers will be aiming to produce plant growth lights. You can see how broad the curves are. And each species or variety will have a different mix of pigments.
http://lib.tkk.fi/Diss/2008/isbn9789512295029/isbn9789512295029.pdf

mandat

Newly Enlightened
This may be a little off topic, but I had to reply to this post since I also love deep red and I'd like to know the options for low/mid power deep red leds.
I have seen many cars whose third brake light is deep red, and also bright. Any ideas what these LEDs are?

I know Osram has some bright super red(633nm) topleds, but probably they'd still be orange-red, and their hyper red(640nm) ones are not bright at all.

Those are the ones I have and would use for my custom flashlight - they are VERY bright:

vendor links removed. see red banner at top of page

Last edited by a moderator:

mandat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for these links, I already have the Ledengin LZ4 deep red, also I've lumex ssl-lx5093src/f (640nm) 5mm leds, I also know of other high power options like oslon ssl80 or rebel deep red, but I was wondering about the leds used in car brake lights. I think I'll give the topleds a try. (Sorry,shouldn't have used the term 'low/mid power', actually I was meaning something in 50-70mA territory)

confusion on my side actually - but the Kingbright led cluster of 50 640nm leds should do the job - those things are quite practical for all sorts of applications - I really like the sparkly appearance of that arrangement - nice to look at, especially when dimmed down to a darker tone - you can`t do that with a high power led :ohgeez:

Last edited:

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
This site was mentioned in an earlier post Ledsupply. They sell this new emitter. Luxeon Rebel Deep Red. I am pleased with mine.
Deep-Red 1-Up EndorStar Features: 290mW @ 350mA 580mW @ 700mA 700mA - Max Drive Current 2.20Vf - Typ. Forward Voltage 350mA 2.40Vf - Forward Voltage 700mA 660nm - Typ. Wavelength 120° - Viewing Angle 135° C - Max Juntion Temperature LXM3-PD01-0260 - Rebel Part#

Latest posts