Love at first light, What was yours?

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
He first light that I had to have was the Surefire L4. It's funny, I first saw one at a Cabelas in early 2009, and I just bought my first one in march of 2010 (I thought it was really expensive back then). I had one nodded to an MCE (sold), and now I just have a beautiful stock model. I love this light, easily my favorite.

carrot

Flashaholic
I should be more specific.

The Surefire A2 was love at first light, when I saw it in a Surefire ad in the back of a Popular Science magazine. I had no idea before then that lights could be so complicated and interesting, that they could have a whole ton of electronics in them and the hybrid design blew me away. This was back before it was common knowledge that LEDs were powerful too, so the hybrid made so much sense to me -- you could have a super powerful incandescent beam and then the steady low output reliability of LED... well, that sold me on my first Surefire, a G2, and very soon after, that famous A2.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quoted for truth.

The X5t was if not love, then lust at first sight. Inova had Luxeon models by the time I found this one, but... they were too long, and didn't run long enough. And this thing was like something out of a design museum (where, appropriately, it ended up). There was online shopping, and pining, and then finally there was a hurricane called Charlie. I drove an hour to the furthest mall with its Discovery Channel store and its racks of Inovas (wish I bought an X1 there while they had optics) mostly untouched, while the Wal-Marts and co. had bare shelves. That year, there were three other hurricanes (one a near miss), and that Inova made all the others bearable (though none approached the level of "bad" the first one packed, in terms of downed trees and power outages and damage). I had just that one hour to my own devices, and had I hesitated, I might not have bought my first good light.

My only regret was waiting until Inova went with the multi-flats body and not getting the engraved-grooves body that I thought was the most awesome looking chunk of aluminum and steel ever.

BTW, I confronted Charlie with a black 2xAA minimag with a half-dead bulb and batteries. It's now a host for my World's Cheapest Mule mod, and continues to get frequent/occasional use depending on how annoyed I am with the IQ switch at the moment. It will likely see more frequent use when I pick up a Kroll switch, or set it up as an AuroraLite.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first stumbled across flashlightreviews.com, and CPF, about six months before my join date here(?). The number of areas, and the amount of data here on CPF was pretty overwhelming to me. I spent much more time on FlashlightReviews.com. I think that the gentleman who ran that by himself did a fantastic job. That site led me to my first 'major' purchase, a Fenix L2D, which I'll never get rid of. Then an Arc-AAA. It was all downhill from there. Someone here was kind enough to post an alert about some SF 6Ps on ebay in the 'good deals' section with a BIN price of $40, which included shipping. That 6P was a 'gateway drug' that has me now with more than a dozen SureFires, and about a half dozen Malkoffs. Absolutely, positively don't NEED them all, but I don't have any buyer's remorse, and would have a very difficult time getting rid of any of them.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think this occurred about fifty years ago with some noname little light I used to read in bed and play with my radio. Just prior to CPF it was the Dorcy Cool Blue and an Energizer folding lantern that started my love of LEDs.

Geoff

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a Nuwai Nightstar 5W. I've still got it, too, but it sure is beat up!

I guess, though, I could also say my dad's old Big Beam flashlight, which I was always so impressed with as a kid. I remember I used to like to get it out and show my friends or my grandma and blast them with it, wanting them to acknowledge how bright it was.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
As far as production lights go, just about anything JetBeam. They sure do make some nice looking lights! :twothumbs

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire U2. It is still a wonderful light all these years later:twothumbs. One is still stock the other one has a neutral white MC-E in it :D

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Peak's Brass offerings are what lured me in.

and yes, saw the spy 007 and had to have that too..but by then i was
already hooked.
I especially like the the aesthetics of the Shasta and McKinley I find them to be proportionally beautiful and I find the simple clean lines of most Peaks very nice, especially the original flat head and second generation models. I have yet to get my hands on a third generation Peak but I am sure that I'll be getting at least one.
Spy 005, maybe someday I'll be able to grab the one that I want
***Surefire L1, first generation Black HA-lll***Probably my favorite
Lumaray FL12 with the original body design
Nuwai Q3, quiet and unassuming, especially the green HA-ll
Inova X5 in silver, not black

I'll stop there because that would be an ever growing list.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first stumbled across flashlightreviews.com, and CPF, about six months before my join date here(?). The number of areas, and the amount of data here on CPF was pretty overwhelming to me. I spent much more time on FlashlightReviews.com. I think that the gentleman who ran that by himself did a fantastic job. That site led me to my first 'major' purchase, a Fenix L2D, which I'll never get rid of. Then an Arc-AAA. It was all downhill from there. Someone here was kind enough to post an alert about some SF 6Ps on ebay in the 'good deals' section with a BIN price of $40, which included shipping. That 6P was a 'gateway drug' that has me now with more than a dozen SureFires, and about a half dozen Malkoffs. Absolutely, positively don't NEED them all, but I don't have any buyer's remorse, and would have a very difficult time getting rid of any of them.

Yeah, I saw that same post regarding the 6p, and I ended up getting in on the second batch ($42 each, shipped) posted.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be hard to single out one because I've liked to play with flashlights for a long time now. If I did have to pick an older one that got me started though, it would probably be my trusty 2 AA black Mini-Maglite. I bought it for just $5 at the flea market back when I was in middle school in about 1985. It has been modified significantly since then, but I still EDC it in a belt holster and it works just fine.

thedeske

Enlightened
D cell hell all my life until a small post about some small light some where.
Then it was a search for more info and I discover this place, read, buy my first Fenix in early 09. There were a few more, but it was the first time being impressed with a flashlight. I'm not ready to call it love, but close enough ;)

bradleyj37

Enlightened
when i was a firefighter a underwater kinetics rep came by the firehouse selling his goods. i bought one with a helmet attachment used it for 2 years best light i had ever seen, cut through smoke like nobodys business then i joined the marine corps now i cant find it back. i did love that light.

motherfletcher

Newly Enlightened
I remember seeing the mag commercial with the Mack truck running over it when I was 7. I nagged my parents for one and they got me a minimag instead haha. Never looked back since!