Lumapower IncenDio Q5 Review: RUNTIMES, PICS, and more.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just an update:

I know some people have questioned how easy it is to activate the recessed forward clicky on the IncenDio.

I've been playing with for the last few days, and find I have no problems at all activating it (with either thumb or forefinger). Most of the time I just partially press to quickly flash the light, but I don't find it too hard to click to lock-in (although the traverse is a bit more than typical). The clip helps with grip, so thumb-pressing is fine for me.

Of course, I spent the previous week playing with the stiff clicky of the MKII IBS, so I may have built up a few finger muscles. ;)

Marlite

Enlightened
Thank you for another classic. Each time I read it, it's like I've read it for the first time, delivered in impeccable style. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. :)

Not to stir up controversy, but I've just found that my sample also has the now-infamous hidden SOS mode. Using the method described here, I've managed to elicit a very definite SOS mode once. But this was not easy to do - frankly, my hand has gotten sore from all the "smacking"! So I'm guessing there's a lot of variability in how sensitive individual lights are to entering this mode. Personally, I don't see this as a major issue - I certainly saw no evidence of the SOS mode in regular usage, and have only been able to elicit it once in all my testing. But I just figured you should know ... :whistle:

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Outstanding review Selfbuilt.

I own a P2D Q5 and have also been looking at the little incendio.

This review helped me decide.

Thanks.:thumbsup: Another well written and comprehive review. I really like the photo's for comparison also. It is a big help when looking at this category.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks.:thumbsup: Another well written and comprehive review. I really like the photo's for comparison also. It is a big help when looking at this category.
Thanks. FYI, I plan to do a more detailed 1 CR123A/RCR round-up review at some point in the not too distant future (like my current 1AA and thrower round-ups). After I'm done the Nitecore Extreme review would probably be a good time (I'll also be including my Novatac 120P in that comparison, which I haven't review here on CPF yet).
:wave:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything I ever wanted in a review! :thumbsup:

Thanks for saving me time researching the light. Why read the rest when you can read the best.
:twothumbs

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt, thanks so much for the time you've taken to provide us with a detailed, helpful, review. I'm trying to decide between this light and the new Nitecore/4-sevens E10. I'm not sure the extra output of the E10 will matter much for pocket carry use and I like the well chosen levels of the IncenDio.

While the more aggressive and complete knurling of the E10 is my preference, the IncenDio is closer to the Fenix P1 size that is even more important to me. Decisions, decisions; I can only buy one at this time and am really leaning toward the IncenDio.

I don't know how else you can shed any more light in comparing the two lights as your review was so well done in the first place, but if any further opinions/thoughts exist, they will be appreciated.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Incendio is a very nice light and has been overshadowed since the Nitecore's have come out.

To me one of the biggest things going for the Incendio is how small it is for a clicky CR123 light. The diameter is very small for a CR123 light and is about the same size as some of the smaller AA lights. I do like the asthetics of the glow in the dark switch and how it has no gaps for dirt to collect (but the drawback is that it is not replaceable). The glow o-ring is cool too. The glow material of the switch and o-ring are of a higher quality material and glow better than the cheaper old stuff we knew as kids.

The output levels are spaced nice and work well. The beam is pretty smooth as well for a cree and throws pretty good for a small reflector. The HAII coating is not as good as HAIII and it is only available in black which tends to show wear more. All in all a pretty nice little light.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the E10 and the Incendio:

cimg1257adf8.jpg

I tend to prefer the Incendio for its warmer tint and CREE rings free beam. The limited knurling of the body is not a problem because you need it only to change the battery and not to operate the light. The recessed clickie is very good.

Although the piston device in the Nitecore is really clever I am not totally convinced of its UI. And of course the lack of a clip could be a limitation.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I agree with the points raised by regulator & Kilovolt. The Incendio is still a nice light that serves its purpose well. I like it for its shallow reflector and corresponding smooth and wide beam. Its output levels are also well-spaced.

FYI, the Incendio is included in my 1xCR123A round-up thread (link in my signature). I plan to add my EX10 to that review soon, but I'm just in the middle of a few other reviews right now.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems while nobody was looking, V2 came out.

I just happen to be wandering around here at CPF again, and couldn't miss out on this light.

Thanks selfbuilt for the review... and Matt for having the V2 in stock at Battery Junction.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Seems while nobody was looking, V2 came out.
Thanks for the heads-up Paul.

I've just added the V2 details from batteryjunction's site to the end of the first post. Basically, new features include a removable pocket clip, shortened memorization delay (now down to 1 sec), reverse polarity protection, and a switch that is supposedly now serviceable if needed.

All sound like good upgrades to me!

Last edited:

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review Selfbuilt. I ordered one of the limited v2's in brass & nickel. Matt should have it here this week.

Will post my impressions when I get it, also vs. a P2D Fenix q5.

Seems like the perfect pocket light.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
I got mine and like it, it feels good and is bright.
I like the GITD oring in the bezel/reflector, it works fine.
The GITD tailcap cover does not glow- I wish it did.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard back from Ricky at Lumapower about the build issues. He acknowledges that there are issues with their current line of small lights, and he's working to improve the QC.

Will there be a V3 with more quality fixes and HA-III?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Got a question. Do you think there would be a brightness difference between a 3 volt rcr123 and a 3.7 volt rcr123a in terms of brightness?

I ask because I jsut realized that my tynergy rechargeables are the 3.0v variety and im wondering if im losign out on potential.

bltkmt

Enlightened
I love my IncenDio. Has anyone installed tritium in the two body slots? If so, what size worked best? Thanks.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the memory drain any battery life? If the memory uses ANY power, im turned off from a light. Other than that, it looks cool.