Lumapower IncenDio Q5 Review: RUNTIMES, PICS, and more.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many other companies do it - particularly the Chinese ones. Possible using something called non-volatile memory which retains its contents even when power is removed.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Really? how the hell is this possible? and why are other companies not doing this?

The light is using something called EEPROM or Flash memory.
Most lights with memory is using that, but not all lights have implemented memory, even if they have a EEPROM in the controlling microprocessor. One of the more advanced examples of that is LiteFlux, they have memory for many different settings, but "last mode memory" is optional, i.e. it is stored somewhere in the EEPROM if it has to remember the last mode.

Remember that "last mode memory" is not something everyone wants!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Many other companies do it - particularly the Chinese ones.
The light is using something called EEPROM or Flash memory.
Yes, the Incendio - like many lights - is using a form of flash memory. As HKJ pointed out, this can be implemented in a number ways and is used to retain all sorts of possible settings (not just last memory mode, although this is common on a number of lights now).

EEPROM has been in use for a long time in all sorts of devices (e.g. BIOS setting in various computer components come to mind). The modern version of this technology is used in all sorts of devices with "flash" memory - from your cell phone, to USB flash drives, etc.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
:poke: Selfbuilt, I think we can breathe some life into this thread, Seen the LumaPower Incendio V3....:grin2:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
LOL - he'll have a V3 soon enuff!

Thanks Matt, I was really just himing and hawing over ordering one of these today and than I came across this thread and:poof: I thought I should make sure it is everything I want in life given the current holiday season/economy :grin2:
even though I am up to my knees in flashlight debt :candle:

:whistle:You wouldn't know by chance if the Lumapower Encore EDC 2x CR123/18650 would be getting a R2 or XP-G upgrade soon do yeah?:sssh:
Just seems like a shame to have real slim 18650 light that is only 180 lumens....:whistle:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-encore.html

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Encore was JUST revised and the new version came out like 2 weeks ago so I wouldn't expect any changes to it for a while.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
:twak: Please Sir may I have another!:whoopin::mecry::mecry: Alright you twisted my arm enough. I'll order one in the morning :tired:. Thanks:grin2:

The Encore was JUST revised and the new version came out like 2 weeks ago so I wouldn't expect any changes to it for a while.

dimitris12

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Has anybody experienced any audible buzzing from the IncenDio due to the PWM? I'd like to get one but I have a Klarus XT11 that does the high pitched buzzing and I can hear it in a quiet room. Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hello, Has anybody experienced any audible buzzing from the IncenDio due to the PWM? I'd like to get one but I have a Klarus XT11 that does the high pitched buzzing and I can hear it in a quiet room. Thanks.
The general cause of buzzing is believed to be inductor whine, and it is not related to PWM. It is often confused with it as the whine intensity is specific for given modes or battery sources on an individual light (i.e. making it seem like it correlates with some of the lower output modes). I've seen plenty of current-controlled circuits that also have a low-level of whine. There is another kind of buzz that I've noticed that seems be associated with heavy current draw, but that again is likely seperate from PWM.

As for inductor whine, it is generally impossible to predict, as each sample of a given model series can be unique (although there may be some batch effects).