Lumintop IYP365- Long Term Usage Thoughts

zgwforum

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Currently I am a very happy 4Sevens Preon2 user...sad to see 4Sevens go belly up.

I would like to get a few Lumintop IYP365's as gifts. Can anyone provide their experience in carrying the IYP365 for over a year? Most importantly, have they been reliable?

Thanks.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the IYPs don't work out, Nitecore has similar lights in the MT06 and MT06MD. The MT06MD has a Nichia emitter for better color rendition, and three modes rather than two for the MT06. Just be careful if ordering the MT06MD - it comes in two versions - plain black and black with a pupil size chart down one side of the barrel.

I own several IYPs, but haven't used them very much so can't speak to their reliability.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
one of my IYP365 that I frequently used had to get a switch replacement after ~9 months... after a few thousand clicks based on my estimates... a few users had also reported similar issue with the switch...
I now mostly use it as a twisty (clicked ON the mechanical switch, tighten the head to turn on, loosen it to turn off, twisty OFF-ON to switch mode)... :laughing:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of my IYP365 that I frequently used had to get a switch replacement after ~9 months... after a few thousand clicks based on my estimates... a few users had also reported similar issue with the switch...
I now mostly use it as a twisty (clicked ON the mechanical switch, tighten the head to turn on, loosen it to turn off, twisty OFF-ON to switch mode)... :laughing:

Same here. I'm presently awaiting an answer from lumintop for a solution

zgwforum

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. In my experience, the click switch seems to be the weak link with many flashlights.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
In my experience, the click switch seems to be the weak link with many flashlights.
Most of them have MTBF from a few thousand to tens of thousands clicks, however, in this particular case for IYP365, the reverse clicky switch does not instill confident... Unlike 4Sevens Preon, I do not have the feel of holding a quality switch on hand while using the IYP365, but I like the aesthetic and the Nichia LED they put inside so I bought 4 units, as backups. I also pester my distributor to get spare switches for IYP365 for which Lumintop only willing to send 2 to them, and they already used one for my replacement last year. FWIW, the head of IYP365 is compatible with the NiteCore MT06MD, what this mean is you can directly use the MT06MD body and switch with IYP365 head. It is also thread compatible with many 2xAAA light, e.g. the old Preon (I only have the 1st generation Preon), but need to use a ring spacer or a dab of solder to allow the body to contact the head.

For low load applications, or used occasionally, IYP365 is good enough. ;)

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I owned one but didn't like the feel of the tailswitch... Felt cheap/flimsy... I believe I gifted the light to a relative...

I'm a big fan of the Lumintop Tool (AAA) lights though....