LX2 Budget Replacement

revance

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been very active in the flashlight world lately, so don't really know what is out there right now as far as budget lights. My current EDC is a Surefire LX2. I am going to be going on a cruise and am looking for something about the same size, 2x CR123, and with a clip I can take with me that I won't cry over if it gets lost/stolen/confiscated.

Any recommendations? I would prefer single mode and obviously the brighter the better.

THANKS!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not too familiar with newer 2xCR123A lights as I prefer single-cell lights and 18650 lights for the larger size. That said, the regular Fenix PD-32 is just over $40, maybe less with coupon, and seem like it would be the right size and it has decent output. The two switch API might be a bit annoying, but is has a forward-clicky tail-cap so that should work well for you since you use Surefire lights even if the LX2 is not a clicky.

For a cruise and casual stuff though you may want to consider a single cell light. Right now a very nice one is the Zebralight SC52 running off of 1AA sized battery, so good on NiMH rechargeables, and Alkaline (not recommended for Hi-level), or LiIon 14500 sell.

Travel with lithium cells is now getting restricted quite a bit, so AA eneloop rechargeables are a good thing to have on hand.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other recommendations.

ps.. they may move this thread to the "Recommend Me a Light" Forum.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attach a lanyard to your LX2. Go to a hardware store and see if you can find a small locking carabiner, and attach that to the lanyard. When you are carrying the light, use the pocket clip and have it riding inside your pocket. Use the locking carabiner so that the lanyard will be attached to your belt. So, in an event when the light is snagged on something or some jerk tries to pickpocket it, the lanyard will keep hold of it. The locking carabiner will also make it harder for someone to take it from you without you noticing.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
SolarForce is a good budget choice, and so is the idea of some attached lanyard for your LX2 so it won't be rolling overboard or suffer other mishap. I think you'll be OK taking your light on a cruise, but like anything you'll have to keep an eye on it. You can check sbflashlights website I think they still carry the Solarforce and other 1x18650 lights at good prices. As much as I hate to lose good tools, it's really nice to use the tools you're familiar with, so if possible I'd recommend you just take the LX2. If something does happen, you'll be able to find a replacement and insurance might cover it.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I just picked up a 6PX Pro and am quite impressed, comparable performance to my Z2/M61-219, maybe even a little brighter and with a decent low mode too. The G2X Pro is similiar for even less money. I've seen the old 200 lumen models going for $65.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Two post removed, discussing the use of a flashlight as a weapon, a flashlight is a lighting tool. - Norm