M4 vs M6

Danintex

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys... SOYCD- are you running the 25500's with an adapter or do they fit right in? Duct tape will mount an M6 to a rail just fine, just wrap the light in saran wrap first so it doesnt get goo all over it. How much brighter is the L6 than the L5? Sorry for asking dumb questions, just curious!

AvroArrow

Enlightened
It doesn't use the M6 body no...but...

Look up M500A Millennium Universal WeaponLights then look up "KM501 Turbohead conversion"
http://www.surefire.com/KM501-TurboHead-Conversion
Looks like an M6 doesn't it? and yes, that's an MB20 beside it;)

Sorry, I meant mounting the M6 as-is using a ring mount. The body diameter of the M6 is 1.75" and most ring mounts I've found doing a quick search are meant for 1" diameter lights. There may in fact be such a mount but I haven't checked extensively for it. The M500A+KM501 sure does look impressive... but it's also $883 MSRP worth of weapon light.

Danintex,
Duct tape a M6?!? The blasphemy!!! That would only be acceptable during a zombie outbreak. ;) I believe the L6 is discontinued but you can probably still find old stock in some stores or someone selling one in the CPFMP. The L6 & L5 are both rated 100 lumens. The only difference is runtime: L6=90mins on high, L5=60mins on high.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info guys... SOYCD- are you running the 25500's with an adapter or do they fit right in?

The body I am referring to is this one:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238956

Unfortunately it is a little pricey with the head (which I will never use) but it fits the IMR 26500s perfectly. I installed the AW SoftStart and am running it with KT4 head and WA1111 bulb. The wonderful this about the handle is that it isn't too thick to hold and with the knurling it fits the hand just right. :twothumbs I am actually surprise FM hasn't sold more of them - I believe he would if the head was a separate purchase and the body was a little cheaper.

Illum

Flashaholic
Sorry, I meant mounting the M6 as-is using a ring mount. The body diameter of the M6 is 1.75" and most ring mounts I've found doing a quick search are meant for 1" diameter lights. There may in fact be such a mount but I haven't checked extensively for it. The M500A+KM501 sure does look impressive... but it's also $883 MSRP worth of weapon light.

ahh, yes ring mounts a definite no...no company would hope to make a ring that size:ohgeez:

at surefire's prices, designing, turning, and fabricating your own host would probably end up in savings.

joeycoates

Newly Enlightened
As was asked earlier in this thread, does anyone know of a CPF member who can bore out an M4 body to fit 18650's? I use my M4 on an AR-15 and would like to go to the rechargable option, the 123's are geting expensive and I can use the 18650's in a lot of lights. Thanks for the help guys. Oh, and I gues a MN16 lamp, are there any others that I need to look at?

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
As was asked earlier in this thread, does anyone know of a CPF member who can bore out an M4 body to fit 18650's? I use my M4 on an AR-15 and would like to go to the rechargable option, the 123's are geting expensive and I can use the 18650's in a lot of lights. Thanks for the help guys. Oh, and I gues a MN16 lamp, are there any others that I need to look at?

Jesus Hernandez will bore your M4 to accept 18650s.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156080

Having said that you can more easily run 2 x17670s in your M4 with no boring needed. You just need the correct bulb such as a LF EO/HO-M3T.

Last edited:

joeycoates

Newly Enlightened
Are the 17670's the same length as the 18650's or do I need to do anything unusual to get them to fit or make it work? I appreciate the help and input.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those numbers for cells are plain text code. The first set signifies diameter, the second signifies length. Did you know:
the 17670 cell is;
-17mm diameter
-67mm in length
-0 denotes cylinder

And thus it is thinner by about the same length as the 18650
18mm diameter
65mm length
0 = cylindrical

while your cr123's are roughly equivilent to 16340's
This convention applies across the lithium cells used, 26500, 18500's, 14500's...
Have a look at AW's battery sales thread in the Dealer's section of the Marketplace: the of first post he has a picture of all the different batteries lined up with printed names/capacities visible. It is impactful picture seeing them and size written right on them.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected 17670s will fit. No modifications needed for 17670s, but if you want 18650s, the M4 body has to be bored out which is risky because the walls will be dangerously thin. The best option is to scout for a Leef or FM 2x18650 body in the Custom B/S/T forum on CPF.

Just beware that if you're using 2x17670s, the MN60 & MN61 bulbs will have to be swapped for either the MN15, MN16 bulbs.

Are the 17670's the same length as the 18650's or do I need to do anything unusual to get them to fit or make it work? I appreciate the help and input.

Last edited:

joeycoates

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I do not want to bore the tube, it is mounted on an AR-15 as I said so it does get banged around a bit. I do not know if I want to find another body or the 17670's. I would say the 17670's but I just ordered a Felix TK11 and TK30 which both use 18650's and for streamlining and simplicity (if the s**t hits the fan) I would have the interchangability. Does anyone know if another body is significantly larger in diameter then the stock M4 body? I am using a Viking Tactic light mount that will work with a roughly 1" tube, maybe a bit larger. I would need to keep that in mind.

Also what knid of difference in run time would I see between the four 123's as compared to the 17670's or 18650's? Thanks again for your responces, this forum has helped me to make some well informed and educated decisions. :thumbsup:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also what knid of difference in run time would I see between the four 123's as compared to the 17670's or 18650's? Thanks again for your responces, this forum has helped me to make some well informed and educated decisions. :thumbsup:

Depending on the real capacities of the 17670s and 18650s and the lamps you will be using. Using AW protected cells (which is the accepted standard here). Runtimes on 17670s and CR123s are about the same, give or take 5mins. 18650s would give you about 20-30mins extra runtime over the above setups but you'd either have to bore out the M4 body or get a FM or Leef 2x18650 body.

4xCR123s will be expensive to keep running compared to Li-On cells.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the real capacities of the 17670s and 18650s and the lamps you will be using. Using AW protected cells (which is the accepted standard here). Runtimes on 17670s and CR123s are about the same, give or take 5mins. 18650s would give you about 20-30mins extra runtime over the above setups but you'd either have to bore out the M4 body or get a FM or Leef 2x18650 body.

4xCR123s will be expensive to keep running compared to Li-On cells.
Lighthound still has the fantastic 3x18650 'C' to 'M' Leef Body. Perfect for the MN60, LF IMR-M6 or the WA1185.

http://www.lighthound.com/LeefBody-C-Tail-M-Head-3x18650-Battery-HA-III-Natural_p_942.html

knightrider

Enlightened

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of these and really like it. Hardly ever hear or see anything about this body for some reason...

One thing to note is the length of the light, it's a longer body, my light with KT4 and switch is 12" long.
It's a totally acceptable length if you are used to carry big Maglites and Ultrastingers, though... A lot brighter to boot and with excellent runtimes with the new AW 2600mAh. Sweet setup.

knightrider

Enlightened
It's a totally acceptable length if you are used to carry big Maglites and Ultrastingers, though... A lot brighter to boot and with excellent runtimes with the new AW 2600mAh. Sweet setup.

Wow! Just checked and the M4 is only 9.3 inches long. I thought it was a bigger light.

It's funny because I am so used to smaller lights that my KT4 Leef setup seems huge. But then I remember some of the long lights that are around and it really isn't that bad. And ones from the past too. It's probably the diameter compared to the length. If it were fatter it would look more normal so to speak.

The longer length of the KT4 Leef 3x18650 isn't bad at all unless you need a faster tactical light. That's one of the main reasons I picked up an M3 a bit ago.