M64 - brightest 2D/NiMH/30min(ish) run? (inc vs. Mag85)

defblade

Newly Enlightened
Springs can get really hot and meltly so worth doing the solderwick resistance fix across any involved, and 2 and a bit hours is asking for instaflash when you turn the torch on (why I'm waiting for more bulbs before experimenting :) ) as the bulb gets a shock as the power hits it - they heat up fast as opposed to the relatively gradual dimming when they are switched off.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Where are you getting 'more' WA1164's?

popcorn.gif

defblade said:
(why I'm waiting for more bulbs before experimenting :) )

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Would I really try to instaflash a brand spanken new bulb? You bet your sweet patootie I would, if it's in the name of science. (Apologies to Craig) Actually, I think I might be alright in this regard- I got the HD complete with a fixed switch and Kiu socket, and it has soft start. Anyway, I wonder how many lumens an instaflash would generate?

defblade

Newly Enlightened
@cnjl3: mostly waiting for litho123 to do another "unpopular" GB, at which point I'll order maybe 10-20 bulbs!

@LED BriCK: Let us know how you get on (I'm cheering for you!)

LED BriCK

Enlightened
defblade- Thanks! I'm just waiting for that same "unpopular" GB. Lately it seems that 1164 might qualify for "popular"!

defblade

Newly Enlightened
Heads up for LED BriCK (and anyone else who's interested) litho123's started another "unpopular" buy here

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Update on my Mag64-9 experiment: failed, I'm afraid. 10.8V just seems to be too much for the 1164. I went through 3 bulbs- the first was my fault- it lit up fine and seemed brighter than the 1185, though it was daytime and I only have the one modded 3D, so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison. Unfortunately, my charge was low and the HD regulator shut off before I could get any good beamshots. I made the stupid mistake of forgetting to click off the switch on my 3D, so when I dropped the freshly-charged pack in, the bulb didn't get the benefit of soft start and died immediately. The second bulb stayed lit a few seconds until I started to fiddle with the focus, so I guess the hot filament was too close to it's melting point to handle the jostling. The third just died almost right away. I have one more, but I'm holding on to that one. Maybe some day I'll get around to figuring out how to adjust the V on my HD, but for now my M85 works fine, so I don't want to mess with it. Actually, it's better than before, I got one of litho123's HOP reflectors along with the new bulbs :thumbsup:.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I agree with you. The 1166 is my favorite WA bulb. Not as impressive as FM's custom 43W Carley, but it outperforms the 1185, and much whiter color. AWR turned me onto to it. Needs a Hotdriver with 4s or 2p4s Li-Ions though.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Since it sounds like you have almost every possible combination have you tried a head to head comparison of the 1164 & 1166?

What voltage did AWR set your 1166 HD to?

I am using 3 D size Li-ions with my HD set to 9.6v (with a 5watt 150Ω tail cap resistor) per AWRs recommendation and I really like the beam - I currently am using FM 3" head and it i just love the total package:)

I tried increasing the voltage to 9.9v and I 'instaflashed' one 1164:(
So i probably with keep the voltage at 9.6volts.

Its a good thing that Litho123s 2nd "unpopular bulbs" groupbuy didnt take too long and I now have a stash of extra 1164s:)

I agree with you. The 1166 is my favorite WA bulb. Not as impressive as FM's custom 43W Carley, but it outperforms the 1185, and much whiter color. AWR turned me onto to it. Needs a Hotdriver with 4s or 2p4s Li-Ions though.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I push the 1166 up to 12.68 - 12.7V and it has lasted way longer than AWR's Hotrater spreadsheet says it should. I have at least 18-20 hours on this one....still going strong. Definitely brighter, whiter, cleaner beam pattern than the best I can get out of the 1164.

While the 1164 setup at lower voltage is nothing to sneeze at, I have pushed it also to 9,6V, and there is no way it is putting out the 1500BL that the WA rerater claims.

frogs3

Enlightened
Lux,

Any chance of an 1166 surviving 9AA's (Eneloops) without regulation? Stock switch, spring resistance wire in place, bipins in FM socket.

Currently runs 1185 -- a bit yellow with good runtimes on first two outings.

FM 2.5 inch Throwmaster head.

Your suggestions welcome,

-HAK

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well, the 1185 will flash about 1.5V lower than the 1166....so what FM says that the 1166 can take a 10th cell is right.....BUT it all depends on how much resistance you have.

You can't push the 1185 voltage as high as 1166, but if you are at the edge of flashing the 1185, it would be brighter than dropping an 1166 into that same exact setup....since you need more voltage for the 1166 to give optimal output.

defblade

Newly Enlightened
Don't think I've mentioned it above, but FM's throwmaster head really suits this bulb. I can't stand to look at the hotspot from less than about 5 metres, but you can adjust it to a flood effect (although the total spill/beam is about half the size of a regular head at any given distance - it noticably only lights half the fence where a standard Med stipple lights the lot). Oh, throw's amazing too ;)