Mag 1D CBT-90 UT

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice ma_sha, like always :). If only people knew what can be done with 4 simple aa batteries :D.

I'm still waiting for you to build a light that will beat my Varapower Turbo on all accounts: lumens, throw, size, etc.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting for you to build a light that will beat my Varapower Turbo on all accounts: lumens, throw, size, etc.

It's possible to beat VB turbo with smaller size, but still will need at least 2D + turbo head.

Direct drive CBT-90 on 2x Lifepo4 D cells will get you up to 15 Amps.
combine that with AW 3 level Incan driver (should be able to handle 15Amps) and DX 3" reflector will take down VP turbo in a smaller size.

However, that size is still bigger than what I am interested in.
The FM3X+3x18650 shorty size is as big as I can enjoy at the moment.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Masha I also am disappointed in the elites. I have 16 in my mag428 and after cycling them twice in my bc700 they lasted about 6 minutes before dimming. I should be getting about 11 to 12 mins in theory with no voltage sag. They do supply the needed 10 plus amps required but voltage drops faster than I had hoped. Perhaps lifepo would be better but I would need 6 to 7 cells in a 4d host.

Back on topic. Are there any aa cells out there that would hold up better?

Edit... that 2d cbt90 build sounds tempting.... and I already have a host :p

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible to beat VB turbo with smaller size, but still will need at least 2D + turbo head. Direct drive CBT-90 on 2x Lifepo4 D cells will get you up to 15 Amps.combine that with AW 3 level Incan driver (should be able to handle 15Amps) and DX 3" reflector will take down VP turbo in a smaller size.However, that size is still bigger than what I am interested in. The FM3X+3x18650 shorty size is as big as I can enjoy at the moment.
Hmm I'm not sure about everything you said.Do the LifePO4s sag that much? When you put 4 D cells in the Varapower you also get 15A (up to 18 initially). If you really want to beat it you need the Batteries you mentioned, but also a much better reflector. It needs to be optimized for leds and have a better coating. You would also definitely need to solder the led onto the copper heatsink, no star.

Last edited:

Epsilon

Enlightened
Hmm I'm not sure about everything you said.Do the LifePO4s sag that much? When you put 4 D cells in the Varapower you also get 15A (up to 18 initially). If you really want to beat it you need the Batteries you mentioned, but also a much better reflector. It needs to be optimized for leds and have a better coating. You would also definitely need to solder the led onto the copper heatsink, no star.
The CBT-90 is allready mounted directly on a thick and large copper PCB, so no need to update that.

Which reflectors do you use for you LED builds and where do you get them? I'm still looking for decent reflectors for larger builds, but the only dealer I know is DX :p.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CBT-90 is allready mounted directly on a thick and large copper PCB, so no need to update that.

Which reflectors do you use for you LED builds and where do you get them? I'm still looking for decent reflectors for larger builds, but the only dealer I know is DX :p.

If you want every last lumen than the copper pcb from luminus is just too small. The heatsink in the Varapower is several cm long.

I don't do any builds so I don't have any reflectors :crackup:. I just have my VPT with the DX reflector.

Epsilon

Enlightened
The board of the cbt needs to be mounted to a larger heatsink ofcours, but the most crucial part is already done: a good bond to a thick enough heatspreader. Hard to beat in my opinion :).

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, cbt-90 is different from sst-90. No thermal pad and solder junction to transfer heat to the "star." Instead, the LED die is mounted to the "star" directly from the factory. The sst-90 has to transfer heat through its substrate to its thermal pad, which then is soldered to the thermal pad of a star, which is separated from the metal core with insulating layer. Even if you solder it directly to a heatsink, the heat still has to go through the substrate of the LED package, and through a solder joint, before it gets to the heatspreader/heatsink.

Think of the cbt package as current day processors. You don't see the actual chip anymore. Instead, they bond a heatspreader to the chip to quickly wick heat away from the chip. This integrated heat spreader is then attached to whatever thermal exchanger you are using, finned heatsink, water block, etc.

Remember how older, or less beefy processors were just a shiny silicon chip's backside showing? That would be like if we could buy bare LED dice and mount them to heatsinks ourselves.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, cbt-90 is different from sst-90. No thermal pad and solder junction to transfer heat to the "star." Instead, the LED die is mounted to the "star" directly from the factory. The sst-90 has to transfer heat through its substrate to its thermal pad, which then is soldered to the thermal pad of a star, which is separated from the metal core with insulating layer. Even if you solder it directly to a heatsink, the heat still has to go through the substrate of the LED package, and through a solder joint, before it gets to the heatspreader/heatsink.

Think of the cbt package as current day processors. You don't see the actual chip anymore. Instead, they bond a heatspreader to the chip to quickly wick heat away from the chip. This integrated heat spreader is then attached to whatever thermal exchanger you are using, finned heatsink, water block, etc.

Remember how older, or less beefy processors were just a shiny silicon chip's backside showing? That would be like if we could buy bare LED dice and mount them to heatsinks ourselves.

You might be right, but I still think the VPT will win in the long run (lets after 5 or 10min at full blast) because the copper pcb of the cbt-90 will be soaked up with heat rather quickly. You would need to solder the pcb to a copper heatsink for similar/better performance. What we need is numbers, to proove our theories :).

Epsilon

Enlightened
You always need to add enough thermal capacity, regardless of the thermal transfer method. Don't forget that the host will be the majority of this thermal capacity.

Btw, did you know that aluminium has 3 times the thermal capacity of copper by weight? Only because copper weighs about 4 times as much as aluminium it wins on that front.

Sorry ma_sha, will stop now and wait for updates of this very usefull build :)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
You always need to add enough thermal capacity, regardless of the thermal transfer method. Don't forget that the host will be the majority of this thermal capacity.

Btw, did you know that aluminium has 3 times the thermal capacity of copper by weight? Only because copper weighs about 4 times as much as aluminium it wins on that front.

Sorry ma_sha, will stop now and wait for updates of this very usefull build :)

Yes I do, but it's a mott point since flashlights are supposed to be a small as possible.

And I agree, this thread is not about us, but about ma_sha1s great creations :)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about we rally together & sing "Kum-ba-ya" under the Swan blaster?

Currently at 42 million cps, it's about the length of VP turbo, just fatter, will need 200 de-domed VPT together to make-up the lux :)

I am actually thinking about selling this mag to fund a new lamp, 260W/0.8 mm arc, yum...
scaled.php

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are selling the cbt90 mag, please make sure colonel buys it... my pocket book cant afford seeing a fs: cbt90 thread right now!

lol.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok ma_sha,
I give up :sigh:
but my light still has 36 modes :p

Why do you need a new lamp? Shouldn't it last for like 2000 hours?

Why has your light not beaten the Maxablaster yet?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you need a new lamp? Shouldn't it last for like 2000 hours?
Why has your light not beaten the Maxablaster yet?

I am only 2 hours into the 3000 hr rated life, but Osaram comes up with a new PVIP lamp with 20% shorter arc, a 20% gain in surface brightness.

I am having a hard time focusing the lamp precisely, a wide swing gets me anywhere between 38-43 million cps. The 3 point focus mechanism I copied from RA is a pain in the butt to use when precision focusing is needed.

Theory numbers always come short in front of the cruel reality of lux measurements, looks like a new 0.8mm arc lamp is necessary for swan blaster to beat maxa blaster in throw.

I need to build a new lamp module but still cringing at the thought of doing it again.