Mag-1D triple P7 with D2Flex

overdog

Enlightened
Hello,
I wanted a really short 3x SSC P7 with the possibility of having different modes and being not too heavy to become an
everyday "walk with my dog" light, so last weekend I put together following parts:

-Will´s high quality 1D Mag: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3095841&postcount=117
-Downloads Universal Sink, Taskled´s D2Flex, 3xLedil Boom-S from Photonfanatic,
-KD-32650 Li-Ion, 3x SSC-P7, 20awg teflonwire & 3x SSC-P7:

bff41slcczwpc4vtkbt6ea2ektd.jpg

Everything in place:

rj4gwrluqgqljxovkewk0eq9deo.jpg

Ice-shot at -18°celsius :

jsmd8c004j85d9yulea8vd625oi.jpg

Compared to SSR-90 : (orig. thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248810 ) :

uvkm0he0asnf5vjq8w9r54ndfql.jpg

Thank you for watching,
Best regards, :santa:
Steffen.

Last edited:

45cal4life

Newly Enlightened
Nice, congrats!! What kind of run time are you getting? Complete newbie here, but these m@g mods are really starting to spark my interest.

ergotelis

Enlightened
So Steffen, you found out the nice hand warmer for the cold out there! Nice job! :D

How much is it drawing on high on that KD battery? Have you thought of 3x17500(or 17670) batteries in series?Of course this host might not be the ideal, but i think it would work more flawlessly.

overdog

Enlightened
@45cal4life: I did not test it yet, should be about 25 minutes on high...

@ergotelis: Hi George, this host is not tri-bored, so no chance for 17650, but I think there is not much difference in using 3x 17650 or one 32650- both have at about 4-4,5Ah capacity from what I´ve been told- may its easier to use 3x 17650 in series, cause you can use the stock switch- 3 P7 in parallel are up to 9Ah (did not measure current till now, will do next days), too much for stock switch (or not? anyone tried it?)- But this light does what I expected it to do- and it is little bit brighter than the SSR-90 I compared it to (not really to see a my pics above, only taken with N95).

...something else, yesterday something funny happened:
I walked with my dog, light on low, someone else with dog and stock Mag 5D walked across my way, looked at my 1D and said: For full power you need 5D-power!
I said nothing, pushed the button and looked at him : :eek: !
...this was fun...

ergotelis

Enlightened
@45cal4life: I did not test it yet, should be about 25 minutes on high...

@ergotelis: Hi George, this host is not tri-bored, so no chance for 17650, but I think there is not much difference in using 3x 17650 or one 32650- both have at about 4-4,5Ah capacity from what I´ve been told- may its easier to use 3x 17650 in series, cause you can use the stock switch- 3 P7 in parallel are up to 9Ah (did not measure current till now, will do next days), too much for stock switch (or not? anyone tried it?)- But this light does what I expected it to do- and it is little bit brighter than the SSR-90 I compared it to (not really to see a my pics above, only taken with N95).

...something else, yesterday something funny happened:
I walked with my dog, light on low, someone else with dog and stock Mag 5D walked across my way, looked at my 1D and said: For full power you need 5D-power!
I said nothing, pushed the button and looked at him : :eek: !
...this was fun...

25min on high is a good and logical runtime...
I have heard that maglite switch can hold up to 10amp with no problems. THe main reason that i told you if it is possible to use 3x17670 is resistance,higher voltage reduces it by a lot. With one D lion cell, 9 amp draw will give at least 9 times greater wattage wasted in resistance than 3 amp draw from 3 lion. This also means a voltage drop and there would be reduced output. As long as it works well, no problem. Just make sure all your connections and cables do not have that much resistance, because you might fry them. You should have told him, if you need more power, visit :welcome:lovecpf

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a ton brigher if you had a cell that didn't sag as much.

Have you seen the IMR 26650 4000mAh cells? I bet you would notice a difference in output and it is the same lengh as your black KD cell, which sags terribly at 2.8A~3A.

bigC

overdog

Enlightened
I have seen the IMR 26650 4000mAh cells and I would like to order two, but batteryspace charges 68$ for shipping to germany- that hurts....
and I have seen them nowhere else- anybody can help?

ergotelis

Enlightened
Kd has one but it is up to you if you want to risk loosing 10 dollars...
Generally if i would give a try but mostly i am afraid of the quality of that battery, would not like to see it going "boom" on anyones hand... It is from KD, you should expect everything...

overdog

Enlightened
Hi George,
I am not sure, but I think, these are another chemistry, not Li-MN and their voltage output is at 3,3V- may someone has any idea, where else to get the IMR 26650?

overdog

Enlightened
As bigchelis suggested, I tried some IMR 26650 cells instead of the 32650 Li-Ion cells- I took a little longer, cause I had none of them and battery space carges 68$ only for shipping to germany- but thanks again to stub at this place- he offered help and ordered for me, thank you, Dale!
Today I measured current at the tailcap- at first I could see, that this light is much brighter with the IMR´s- and I could measure, that it is like this: with both cells fresh from the charger I got this:
32650 Li-Ion 5000mAh cell: about 6,0Ah
IMR 26650 4000mAh cell: about 7,6Ah

Thanks to bigC for good advice & thanks to Dale for offering help!
best regards,
Steffen.

stub

Newly Enlightened
overdog,
Thank you for the info on the two different cells:twothumbs
Now at least I know which of the two I want to use!

stub

JustinS

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have a tri bored 1 D size m@g that runs a P7, 2.8driver board, D2Flex & the 32650 D Li-ion.
Would like to upgrade it to the tri P7 like Stefan, what would the 3 p7 with 3 17670 run time be like?
Also Stefan: How do you hold the narrower 26650 in the D M@g body?Cheers

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear you got the IMR cells:thumbsup:

I have a Nailbender 1D P7 DD Mag and I stuck a IMR 26650 in it and got 3.56A at the tail. Previously it had a AW 2600mAh cell and was putting 3.45A at the tail. How much brighter did it get you may ask??????

With an AW 2600mAh cell = 682 OTF lumens
With a IMR 26650 = 770 OTF lumens

Considering how much more OTF lumens I got just with a bigger IMR cell with minimal increase in current I bet your results are much better.

overdog

Enlightened
It´s really a big difference (1,5Ah!) and the light is definitely brighter- 2,5Ah instead of 2,0 Ah to each emitter should be visible... Unfortunately I have no lux meter to measure the difference- but I can see it with my eyes... I never expected, that those IMR cells make such a difference!