mag 3D runs at 6volts....

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all,
I have tryed to run my mag 3D with krypton bulb with 4Cs....
it is very brighter than the standard version....
can you suppose how many lumens?:grin2:
will the bulb life be very short?

joecarrow

Newly Enlightened
What's the bulb rated for? If it's rated for 6 volts, you should be fine. Also, I don't know mag lites so I'm not sure if a D lamp works in a C light, but I've seen someone else put a 5D lamp in a smaller light that he was powering with lithium cells.

joecarrow

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get the bulb? If it came with the 3D, they were probably counting on 4.5 volts. If you bought the bulb separately, then the original packaging ought to say what the intended use is.

kavvika

Enlightened
I do the same thing in my 3D Mag. The bulb is slightly overdriven, but should last at least 10 hours. Maybe 45 lumens out the front?

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
i did the same thing, my 3d mag with 4c's easily out throws my fenix p3d, so i would say its a lot more than the 45 lumens you got. it lights up trees at least 150m away!! my p3d barely illuminates them.
robert

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I bought a case of SL rechargable batteries. They are all 6v and fit PERFECT in a 3D Mag, so Free run time:)
If anyone is interested, feel free to PM.

I have been using one of the litho123 bulbs in it for an amazing output.

i just picked up a few Mag rechargable bi pin bulbs for their rechargable 6v, but have not tried them yet. I should get about 2x the output of the 4D in a smaller package:)

You can also use the 4D potted bulbs for a 20% increase in output. Use the Xenon bulb and you get that much more!!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a common setup. Drop one cell down on the lamp vs battery setup. A 3 cell lamp in a 4 cell light, 4 cell in a 5 cell etc. Some lamps tolerate this better than others. You will get less life from the lamp but a lamp that burns twice as bright lasts half as long, so to speak.

All lamps are over driven. The rating of a 2 cell lamp is 2.4 volts on average. We give it 3 volts. While there is some voltage sag due to current draw the voltage still is over the actual rating of the lamp for the useful life of the lamp.

The percentage to remember here is 50%. Most lamps will flash out if you exceed the voltage by 50%. So the two cell lamp will not work long if at all at 4.5 volts (3 cells). In that case you would almost be doubling (100%) of the lamp's rating.

Go to Topbulb's website and check out the ratings for many PR based lamps. They have listings for the unmarked Mag lamps. They are simply marked 2 cell, 3 cell and so on.

Basically if you go one cell over than the rated number for the lamp you will be OK. Brighter and better but a little less runtime. Just don't go too big and melt the reflector. :)

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nice bright Solitare that I put a bulb from a Minimag in, and then put a 10440 li ion in.
No flash yet, even with a fresh battery.