Mag D switch new style : tips for modifying for flat top cells needed

737mech

Enlightened
I am repairing an old Mag 1D P7 light I built a few years ago. I am replacing the switch and the only one I could locate is the new style D switch that does not have the coiled spring on the bottom. Can anyone link me to older posts or recommend some proven ways to modify this switch to work with my flat top 18650 cells?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I use a small magnet the fits the recess in the Mag switch when using my flat top NI-MH D cells.

Norm

737mech

Enlightened
I use a small magnet the fits the recess in the Mag switch when using my flat top NI-MH D cells.

Norm

A magnet huh?

Sounds like a simple solution. I will look into that option. I may even have one that fits....

737mech

Enlightened
Yea this was my first thought. I don't have any magnets that fit so I may end doing something like this if I don't get any tips on how others have been working around this. I don't have any spare Mag parts so I only have one shot at it or I will have to buy another switch. I really prefer the old switches! darn MagLite just had to change them.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
I flipped over the metal strip, the other side protrudes a little more. Then build up a solder mound on it.

737mech

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies!
So I got the switch to work with my flat top 18650 cells. It was pretty simple. I just sanded down the bottom of the switch a bit and added a blob of solder to the contact making sure it protruded above the surface of the switch. Works like a charm!