Mag-Tac LED new from Mag-Lite...

Raze

Enlightened
What's in the mail today..

u8u9a9a8.jpg

mrmacman2u

Newly Enlightened
Ok, having read all of this, I have a Black plain bezel Mag-Tac on the way from Amazon and is due Wednesday :)

Granted, I also flushed out my LED Mag collection with the XL200, Pro 2D, and the Mini Pro+... Nostalgia and brand fondness is such an odd thing :crazy:

While I tend not to permanently modify my Maglite branded lights, I DO so love to tinker and poke and prod and try stuff, so the time is ripe for questions and requests for experimentation!

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
I was just going to post that zbattery has Crimson red ones. Interesting color for a tactical light. That said, I think blue would be snazzy.

mrmacman2u

Newly Enlightened
BTW, does anyone know if it's safe to use those regulated LiIon rcr123 cells with this light? I have the Tenergy ones like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/9575871979/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I was using them for an old camera and they work great, but the higher fully unloaded voltage (4.2V) has me concerned they will cause issues in the milliseconds before the regulation clamps them to 3 volts... Right now I can only assume there won't be trouble with the "soft" style switch in the Mag Tac drawing power all the time and theoretically should keep the regulation active, but of course I don't want to destroy my brand new light (due in tomorrow :) )

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they will have problems in the MAG-TAC, but I wouldn't recommend Tenergy batteries to begin with (unreliable capacity ratings and questionable safety). If you do try it, you are doing it at your own risk. ;)

K2 Energy LFP123A is a much better choice, and those work fine in the MAG-TAC.

vector1972

Newly Enlightened
i own this light it warls great have owned surefires olights streamlight its on par with them if not better than a few you can buy ar coated glass lens for $5 from flashlightlens.com just got mine its great

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Well, maybe it's the profile of that particular LED ... I did swap them around and they are similar it seems...I would have been nice to have the long range tight focused beam as the xl50...But of course with the improved 320lms of brightness... Cause it just doesn't have a lot of range outdoors...It gets a bit hazy just beyond 25yds....

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree XP-E in the XL50 has a smaller die, so the beam is more tightly focused. Smaller dies are less efficient than larger ones, so the XP-G has a larger die and the XM-L has an even larger die, but larger dies require larger reflectors to have the same amount of throw.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Aftermarket reflectors would be a cool idea...Like I said before, it could overhaul your current light collections abilities. Giving mission critical applications...