Magic Fire 40W HID 4000-Lumen 4x18650 HID Flashlight

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Got email from seller that it shipped. Communication has been good. We shall see. Stay tuned.

missionaryman

Enlightened
I wish they would make these things with a proper reflector, that thing will not capture and project all 4000 lumens, most will be wasted as indirect flood.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Obivously I was joking. When I got the initial email acknowledging my order, I wrote back because they had my name wrong. They immediately replied and said "noted."

When I got the shipped email, I wrote back to inform them of their lack of reply on this thread, but that email bounced back.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing looks fairly promising. I'm kinda tempted to pick one up... argh so many choices!

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but they're only for people silly/wealthy enough to spend that much on a torch, for the rest of the population however...

Absolutely, its like those rich snobs who believe that no car is worth buying unless its a Rolls Royce or Bentley. How many of us on CPF own a Rolls Royce or Bentley?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I wish they would make these things with a proper reflector, that thing will not capture and project all 4000 lumens, most will be wasted as indirect flood.

Nothing captures and projects "all" lumens, not the SR90, Polarion, or Aspheric LED for that matter. Also, it's not like they didn't post a beamshot for us in the last picture in order to at least give us a rough idea of what to expect. Obviously, when there's any attempt to produce something compact it's going to be at the sacrifice of some other area of performance with weighed effect. Judging from the beamshot they were able to produce a very small 40W with a fairly focused hotspot.

missionaryman
Yeah but they're only for people silly/wealthy enough to spend that much on a torch, for the rest of the population however...

I'm neither silly (all the time) or wealthy and though I can't speak for everyone, most of the CPF members I know who own Polarions are pretty regular dudes who just happened to have saved up for one. In any case, there are plenty of HID's out there that will out throw the Polarion. It just happens to have a good mixture of beam shape and throw for its given size. I think there are numerous choices out there if one's main requirement is simply "a proper reflector."

Glenn7
Oh and can focus be changed.

I see no description or evidence that would indicate that the head is focus-able. Might be something to ask in the sales thread if the seller ever chimes in again.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for replying to what I perceived as denigrating comments above.

Seller did reply btw. Mine should arrive next week.

BVH

Flashaholic
I see no description or evidence that would indicate that the head is focus-able. Might be something to ask in the sales thread if the seller ever chimes in again.

With all the HID's and other lights I've had, having the ability to "de-focus" a properly focused beam is practically useless. The end result is usually a ringy, donut hole, less than desired large spot. Not saying they are all that way, but something with this size reflector would probably yield a lousy looking large spot. Having had a a Barn Burner for a few years, I never once used its' de-focusing abilities after rotating the bezel one time when I first acquired the light. Just my $0.02 worth.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Polarion would be better compared to a high-end BMW than Rolls Royce. They just do most things right with their lights. Clearly way-out-classing nearly all of the competition so they currently get a premium price for their products and deservedly so. Not to mistake the 75w HID's mass produced and selling on ebay lights as worthy competition. All is not perfect, as with any product, the Polarions past/current generation of batteries probably have a protection circuit drain problem. On a major Plus-Side for CPF members, Polarion gives a $700 discount on their most popular light, Abyss ($1425 vs $2099 AELight Xenide), over the next best comparable competition; Hard to argue with that reality... Polarions premium is earned with the quality, functions, fit and finish, durability, availability, dealer infrastructure and customer service (expensive overhead) that very few competitors could even think about challenging on high-end lights for now...

No way the Magic Fire should be able to compete with the best but the competition should be keeping everybody on their toes! My guess is the reflector is too shallow for a tight enough throw beam and the 10 - 15 sec warm up time is old news. Probably underpowered too at 40w consumption power instead of too-the-bulb power. All guesses until the fellows get their lights soon! The light design looks like it uses the same round ballast as the mass produced HID's on ebay. The seller says he has spare bulbs on the way so maybe these are different as I remember the bulbs on the mass produced ebay HID's being built into the ballast and not user replaceable. Hopefully these will surprise on the upside so waiting for you guys to report back!

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting for it but you peeps will be the first to know when I get it. Btw, I saw the discount code on the abyss. Is there one for the ph40?

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Yes it will.. Just have to be patient. There will be a few new lights and the PH series will get a bump to 45w.

Polarion will not release something that's unreliable. It's currently under rigorous test before rollout.. :wave:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it will.. Just have to be patient. There will be a few new lights and the PH series will get a bump to 45w.

Polarion will not release something that's unreliable. It's currently under rigorous test before rollout.. :wave:

I am not sure if the PH series will get a bump to 45w - in my opinion it is dropping down to 45w. The PH50 is still been manufactured and can be purchased retail. I purchased mine recently. I realise there were design issues but for me it is time to cross the 50w barrier or make a 45w that is way smaller than the current PH series.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you're right. The 50w is still being made but it's aimed at some European countries. The heat will Melt the base if use extended periods in hot countries. Just have to use it carefully.

By the way, what do have in mind for 50w and above hid lights? I'm looking at the Maxa beam.. What do you thing about this light?

Hope to hear from you soon. :wave: