Magic Fire 40W HID 4000-Lumen 4x18650 HID Flashlight

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks... I have a rather varied collection. I do have a problem with hobbies. I get carried away. Flashlights are just as addictive..

Received notification yesterday from Ric that the item shipped on Saturday .. I just checked on DHL on the off chance... That was quick - it is already with the delivery driver. 2 days from Hong Kong to Bristol depot during a weekend ? If it goes to plan I should have Scorpion today according to the DHL tracking. :sssh:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you're right. The 50w is still being made but it's aimed at some European countries. The heat will Melt the base if use extended periods in hot countries. Just have to use it carefully.

By the way, what do have in mind for 50w and above hid lights? I'm looking at the Maxa beam.. What do you thing about this light?

Hope to hear from you soon. :wave:

I would like to see a 60w/70w with a good quality reflector on a torch the size of a PH40. A bit of a hybrid of the 80w eBay HIDS but using a good host, good battery and been compact. I think Lithium batteries have further matured and I cannot see why higher capacity ballasts / bulbs can't be used to pair with the higher capacity denser Lithium cells unless cooling is the main problem. LED's have come a long way in the past 3 years - don't seem to see that progress with HID torches.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I guess, you can get a 3" size reflector running on 60w/70w but it will burn it out. Too hot my friend. My NR without any winds in temp around 28deg c just heats up the head fast.

Imagine the reliably you will get? I have an 75w ebay light but its hot. Lithium is good but the heat will destroy it & might even cause an explosion. I run 1/8 scale gas serpent rc cars in singapore & my lithium receiver pack just blew up on the tracks on temp around 30+ midday. I would not even think of using it without proper cooling & amp draw measurements.

I now wrap them in heat shield film to prevent form happening again. HID technology has already matured so nothing to progress. LED has a long way more to go.

stollman

Enlightened
I was curious about the light and sent an emal to the Seller (Rick). His reply email mentioned: the beam can be focused, he would be willing to include an extra glass lens at no cost (good idea in case it breaks), and that he would accept a return if I did not like the light. Shipping back to China is $50.00 via USPS, which the Buyer pays. That's the bad thing about doing bus with companies across the pond....shpping expense to return an item.

Food for thought

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the Magic scorpion.. Took some pictures and a little impression of the light. It is over in cpfm in the OP thread by Ric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
I chose EMS, foolishly, I guess. The only time I've dealt with them, though, I had great, quick service. But that was over 10 years ago. The email I received said it was shipped on the 12th but the tracking number, if that's what it is, doesn't work when I go to EMS to track it. I'm sure it will arrive one day this week.

In the meantime, post some beam shots after dark if you can. I'm very curious to see what, if any, flood it has aside from it's throw distance. I've never owned an HID before.

I'm fighting the temptation to get the Abyss but temptation may win out after I get my hands on this.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Got the Magic scorpion.. Took some pictures and a little impression of the light. It is over in cpfm in the OP thread by Ric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BTW, I know this may be off topic, but I just saw the last half of your signature line. As I'm new here, I don't know that a McGizmo/Kuku is or what a Trit is? I know that McGizmo is something custom, but I don't know if they are still made or anything else about it. Thanks.
Mark

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
So obviously I'm anxious to get my light. I emailed Ric to inquire. The tracking number he provided does not come up with any information. He immediately replied and said he'd check on it. He then replied within a few minutes. Now that is very impressive service. However. And you knew there had to be a "but." He now sends me a copy of my invoice showing the light shipped five days after the original notification, and a different tracking number, also untrackable. Now I'm sure that's EMS's fault and not his, but I'm not thrilled about it. I have no doubt its on the way either. But that's just not creating that warm fuzzy feeling, I gotta say.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello mohanjude

Thanks for the pics and insight.

Can't get into marketplace for the moment but your pic of the Reflector looks different than what the seller has posted. Your pic looks like the reflector has two-levels. Is that correct...

seller pic
111125152358601fbee38ed793_resize-1.jpg

seller pic
DSCF0192.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Been trying to open CPF Marketplace for the past 45 minutes but apparently it's down again. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and updates.....

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys want me to add the photos here as CPFM down. I am just getting into trying to take Beamshots. Could not find the the mounting plate for my tripod which meant trying to juggle a camera and flashlight by hand.

Lips:
Not sure if the reflector is 2 levels - it maybe simply the reflection - when you look at the back you can see the step. This translates to where the bulb enters the reflector at the front - it is a kind of a little tunnel where you have to be careful when guide the Bulb through. Is that what you mean stepped? Does this help with the beam? A kind of mini reflector inside a larger reflector (marked in red circle below)

Back of reflector

32351123.jpg

Front of reflector and bulb

2399d66c.jpg

Red circle where I think Lips is refering to

2399d66c-1.jpg

Control shot at 12 metres
DSC01597.jpg

Magic scorpion

DSC01599.jpg

Polarion PH50

DSC01598.jpg

Control shot of street

DSC01591.jpg

Magic Scorpion - quite surprised how well it throws.

DSC01593.jpg

Polarion PH50 (I did not change exposure but it looks like something has changed) - however to the Naked eye the Polarion illuminates the house better.

DSC01596.jpg

With a bit of confidence I might muster up the courage to terrorise my neighbourhood for more beam shots. I need to find somewhere that is totally dark.

Mohan

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I have been declared insane for driving around early hours of the morning armed with 2 HID lights and a camera

I took 3 sets of shots each with the Polarion Ph50 and Magic scorpion. I changed the settings slightly between the sets but are the same for the PH50 vs MS in each set. I had to use the roof of my car as a tripod.

Control shot 1

DSC01606.jpg

Polarion Ph50 Shot 1

DSC01607.jpg

Magic Scorpion Shot 1

DSC01608.jpg

Polarion PH50 Shot 2

DSC01609.jpg

Magic Scorpion Shot 2

DSC01610.jpg

Control shot 3 (higher exposure)

DSC01611.jpg

Polarion PH50 Shot 3

DSC01616.jpg

Magic Scorpion Shot 3

DSC01617.jpg

As you can see the Polarion PH50 (50W) is much brighter than the Magic Scorpion rated at 40W. However it is the 1/10th the price. What you are getting is a rather useful torch that will throw well and runs on 18650 cells.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Looks pretty good from here at least.

:D

What's your estimate of the distance to that house lit up at the end of the street?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you can see the Polarion PH50 (50W) is much brighter than the Magic Scorpion rated at 40W. However it is the 1/10th the price. What you are getting is a rather useful torch that will throw well and runs on 18650 cells.
This is compelling. Could this be the best economy HID value out there? Color me intrigued.

Wilkey

light36

Newly Enlightened
Mohan thank you for the information and beamshots , must say the magic scorpion is better than what i expected and it really have very good throw for a $180 flashlight . It is clear that the Polarion(50 Watt) has more throw and alot more spill , but yes the magic scorpion(40 Watt) seems to be great value for money . How is the fit and finish on the magic scorpion .

JulianP

Enlightened
Thanks, I wish I hadn't bought a Xeccon 35W HID a few months ago. But I will buy the next Scorpion, if it has >50W. To tell the truth, I would now like a small 85-100W HID (Not the bazookas for sale on eBay).

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize if I missed it, but does anyone have any idea of the current draw on that series of 18650s?

Wilkey

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lips:
Not sure if the reflector is 2 levels - it maybe simply the reflection - when you look at the back you can see the step. This translates to where the bulb enters the reflector at the front - it is a kind of a little tunnel where you have to be careful when guide the Bulb through. Is that what you mean stepped? Does this help with the beam? A kind of mini reflector inside a larger reflector (marked in red circle below)

Back of reflector

That's the spot you have marked in red on your pic below. Looks like a reflector inside a reflector... Not sure if that's the best way to do a reflector but... It doesn't look like the pic they have posted on the sale site if that's what we are seeing and not just a reflection. The return wire also looks modified more and closer to bulb in sales pic.

Mohan Pic
2399d66c-1.jpg

Sale Pic
111125152358601fbee38ed793_resize-1.jpg