Magic Fire 40W HID 4000-Lumen 4x18650 HID Flashlight

BVH

Flashaholic
My guess is that it allows for an almost zero clearance between the bulb and the rear of the reflector allowing more collection of light. Just a guess, though. I still see return wire shadows in the MB beam.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the advantage of having the return wire spread out like that? Does it improve the beam profile by reducing the shadow of the return wire?
The closer an obstruction is to a point source of illumination, the larger the angle of light blocked. So, moving it out like that would make the wire shadow much smaller, perhaps even imperceptible.

Wilkey

Doberman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for clarification.
Thought that 90% would be an average value.

Cutting edge technology ballasts are just reaching 90% efficiency. All of the ballasts we deal with are at best, 80% and probably closer to between 75% and 80% efficient. Yours is probably closer to 34 Watts output.

Patriot

Flashaholic

romteb

Enlightened
Beamshots on shoudian are very impressive, lux figures (for throw) should be very close to the SR90 but with a much bigger hotspot

Last edited:

spaz815

Newly Enlightened
Just got my light in the mail today. It came perfect. I'm glad I sent the 1st broken one back to get this one. For my third HID this one by far is the brightest. I just hope it holds up for a good while. I see there is a 65w version coming out. I would love to see what that looks like. I'm not sure if I would need it being this one is so bright. Does anyone know if they are going to make bulbs and ballast be able to swap for the 40w version?

yifu

Enlightened
Any word on when the 65W version would be available yet? It's not on the website. I figure 65W input should at least be 45W output or so, cheap way of getting PH45 output in a smaller size. And anyway, 200 000 lux sounds very reasonable for a 65W HID. A L35 clocks in at 225 000 lux even though it is only 35W and the reflector is only slightly larger, at 4 inches.

Tain

Enlightened
now thats what im talking about there.....
very impressive.....
am i reading it right at close to 200,000 lux ?

It's a Ceiling Bounce Lux Test done by aku1979 on shoudian.com

Tested lights SR90, 65W Magic Fire, and 55W HID
DPP_1184.jpg

SR90
SR90.jpg

65Watt Magic Fire
65W.jpg

55Watt HID
IMG_6205_B8B1B1BE.jpg

*photo courtesy of aku1979 on shoudian.com*

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the MF 65w light readings but wouldn't the 40w readings be more relevant in this thread since this is a 40w thread and 99% of MF buyers own the 40w?

spaz815

Newly Enlightened
What are you guys getting for run time for the Magic Fire? Also what do you feel about running unprotected battery's with this light? What do I have to look out for If I would run them?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you guys getting for run time for the Magic Fire? Also what do you feel about running unprotected battery's with this light? What do I have to look out for If I would run them?

Over an hour with Redilast 2900s. Be careful tailstanding that long though....it gets HOT!!! I measured 145f after 50 minutes.

Just be careful not to run the unprotected cells down too far. I would be safe and run IMR1600mah cells only about 20 minutes for example. But...why not just run good quality protected cells instead? Either way, protected or not, I would use only good quality cells. No $h1TF1RE types. JMO. :)

BVH

Flashaholic
I do not know the specs on these bulbs but some have restrictions on vertical angle of operation. Angles above 45 can significantly reduce life and degrade performance. If the smaller Cathode is pointed down, the "flame" can travel back over it and wear it out much faster. Without knowing, I'd not do a lot of tailstanding.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks BVH, I didn't know that. Only did it once just for the runtime test. I'm used to hotwires and LEDs!

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
I emailed Ric and was told that the 65W version would come in this week! Hopefully that won't have the problems that this did?

Doberman

Newly Enlightened
What makes you think, that this may take place ?
In resumee the MF ("40" watts version) to me was more than a lottery game.
The output (current consumption) varies from 29-35 watts, but never reaches the "batched" 40 Watts.
The shipping was .... (but that´s not to blame the flashlight), i have to live now with all that scratches at my flashlight.
The cage/tube issue for the 18650s is also worth mentioning it. I killed some 18650 coats when trying to load the MF the first time.
The light outcome is OK, but it´s not a real thrower, spot+spill are for me to inconstant, the same when seeing it as flooder.

So the first reviews of the new 65 watts version must really point out a huge step forward or a cheap update kit will be available. Otherwise that was my one and only experience with the MF; i would spend my next free money for HID´s of other brands.

My 2 cents