MagLite 2C/2D 4D 3W LED drop-in Technical Review

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm resurecting this thread back from the dead. This is all VERY good info. I'd bought a 4-Cell version to run in a 1D 6x123 light basically running 2s/3p for 6v on primary cells for some good runtime. It seems like the setup is ideal for a nice emergency light with good runtime on it which was my goal. And I was also feeling a bit lazy and didnt want to mod anything lol.

But very very good info here especially concerning runtime. Looks like i made a good choice after all.

Shane

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Magleds are notting bleeding edge, cutting edge or even chopping edge stuff.

But they work, and on the same number and type of batteries they are WAY better than incand.

Overdrive an incand hard enough and it's nice and white. Magled will SMOKE it for runtime.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Now that this thread has a couple of years on it, it might be worth it to take a moment to note the modern day new-and-improved alternatives;

The TerraLUX Ministar5 P4 comes to mind, a regulated 150 lumens for 20 hours, for $25..

Most people reading this thread are looking for a cheap and easy instant-drop in that requires no modifications or battery changes, just something to quickly pop into an emergency back-up or non-flashaholic friend/relative's Mag, so in that vein, any other suggestions?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think thats about the top of the heap for inexpensive drop ins. I would love for Malkoff to come up with a LL drop in for the maglite. It would run for weeks off of d cells and not drop in output like the inexpensive ones due to superior heatsinking. 80 lumens for a week runtime sounds good to me.:twothumbs

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm impressed... 7 days of light with the Maglite 3D!!

Only costs $26 at amazon + free shipping. and D cells are so cheap!

Ths only con I see is the super quick dropdown of output. Why the 3D version has more output than the 4D? different drivers?

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
I have tried the Magled and Terralux for my 4D Mag. The Terralux appears

almost twice as bright, and has a whiter tint. The Magled is around 80lm, the

Terralux is 140-150lm. I did not notice any dropoff in brightness after

any length of time from the Magled. I also understand that the NiteIze led

is cheapest of all, also available at Walmart, and although not as bright,

has much longer runtimes, around 110 hours. The numbers I am quoting

may not be exact, but are very close.

iq2k

Newly Enlightened
Well the one way i wouldn't personally try to find out would be maglite themselves cause i find they don't bother after youv'e bought the product.
Asking them questions & getting no reply led me to find this site.:rolleyes:

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
Quick question-what will happen if I place a 2-3 D cell LED drop-in into a 4D maglite? I'm curious enough to try, ignorant enough not to know, too lazy (tired) to research. I'd hate to waste the drop in if it's just going to go "pop."

Thanks

Tom

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
Ok. Just tried it. No :poof: but very dim. Don't think it is damaged but will check later.

Tom

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Hi NewBie -- First off, I want to commend you for a superbly written post. You sure pulled out all the stops (i.e., left no stone unturned) which made for a great read. Very much appreciated.

I purchased a couple of MAG-LED 3-Watt LED Upgrade Modules for my pair of (4 D-cell) Maglites about a year ago - and they have continued to work flawlessly ever since. Okay, so the initial light output drop occurred somewhere around the 20-hour mark, but the throw and spill haven't changed enough to cause me to worry too much ("good enough for Government work.") ;)

I give 'em 2 thumbs up!

-Clive

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people reading this thread are looking for a cheap and easy instant-drop in that requires no modifications or battery changes, just something to quickly pop into an emergency back-up or non-flashaholic friend/relative's Mag, so in that vein, any other suggestions?

Yes, that's me you're talking about when you said "most people.."! :)

I want to stick with something that just drops in as easy as changing a bulb, and not have to do any of my own soldering/modding, because it usually ends up a mess when I do my own "projects"! :ohgeez:

That said, I can't believe there aren't more drop in options with crees or P7s and whatnot. 4-Sevens sells the heat sink and P7 led, but it looks like it still involves quite a bit of custom work.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I like 'em enough that I got another 2D and another 3D last night at Lowes.

Made the 2D into 3C with the "bulb" from the 3D light and put the 3D light away for future use.

Some Scotch Satin tape makes a lovely diffuser on the lens and protects it as well.

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am wondering how well these Magled drop ins would work on my plastic flashlight? It's a heavy duty electricians light, but has an incan bulb and the current bulb has a plastic push piece to hold the bulb in place. It's a pretty rugged light but I don't want it to melt.
If the MagLed won't work what will?
Thanks
Tiff

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could probably be made to work, but the first big hurdle is that the Mag LED unit is bigger in diameter than a standard PR bulb, so it won't fit in the unmodified socket of most other lights. Some folks have bored the socket out to accept it, you would have to determine if your light can handle that. The thermal management circuit in the Mag unit SHOULD prevent melting the plastic socket, so once it's in, it will probably work OK.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing is that the LED will likely not be at the optimum focal point for the reflector in any fixed-focus light. The Mag drop-ins were intended to be used with Mag flashlights, which allow you to dial in the correct focus regardless of the emitter height.