• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Maglite 2D powder coat, white, green metalflake

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
initially it was an interest question :)

Any thoughts about issues caused by finning?

Bret

Bret
Powder coat is a thick coating, I don't think I would be able to get the powder deep into any fins without a very thick coat on the surrounding areas. I always mask off the threaded areas due to the thickness.

If it is the 3D pictured in the thread, with just the body grooved, that would not be a problem.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/220214&referrerid=4688

Last edited:

tophery

Newly Enlightened
Hi will, do you have a picture of a mag with clear gloss coat? Sorry if I skimmed over it.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is clear metalflake over a polished aluminum mini-mag

100_3528.jpg

mac_user_1983

Newly Enlightened
Hi there. This is for Will, are you still powder coating maglites to order? I'm in the UK and would be looking to get a yellow Mini Maglite LED 2 Cell AA. Could you advise of price and turnaround if you can do this. Thanks.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been doing this for a few years - let me see what colors I still have around.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at switching to Cerakote ( ceramic coating for guns ) I plan on starting with white and yellow. I have an extra MagLED 2AA gen 2 light - this is a multi-mode with a solid tailcap. The gen 3 has the lanyard tailcap and I would have to order one of those.

Interested?

ben_masters

Newly Enlightened
Will,

I've been doing some experiments with having MagLites powder coated and my vendor here in Seattle has finally given up. They weren't able to keep the knurling or the original MagLite branding/ serial number, etc. I own an outdoor/camping gear company and we are investigating the possibility of powder coating MagLites in custom colors and possibly making a few other small alterations and selling them. Are you still doing this work and/or otherwise available to point me in the right direction for someone that may be able to take on a 50 - 100 unit run?

Thank you!

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow this thread is an oldie.

Looks like good results were had with powder.

Will. if you are still into coating Maglites you might want to look into KG coat. My gunsmith uses it religiously. He refinished my Mossberg 500a with it and it looks fantastic.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not doing this work at this time. There is a fine line between just the right amount of powder to keep the knurling, and too much powder. The only problem I had was white over a dark colored Maglite. White was best over silver. The knurling does lose some of the sharpness.