Maglite 6C/D , / 7C/D , how many people still love these lights????

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I've never been a fan of the d-cell mags, but the c-cells feel good in my hand. However by the time you put lithium, lithium-ion or even nimh cells they aren't real heavy.

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
What are you gonna run off of 5 18650s ?

I'm thinking a 64440, but it would be somewhat redundant to my 6D which powers MR16's with 5 x 26650. Perhaps a triple xml? I've got plenty of options, its mostly its the form factor that I'm set on adding to the collection.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I'm impatiently waiting on the arrival of my new 6D. I'm thinking a long runtime 5761 to start off with. If i use one of FM's magcharger slugs with no resistance mods, I'm hoping i won't have to go the regulation route :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

naiter

Newly Enlightened
i didn't use my 3D mag LED for awhile, no D batteries in the house. a few gift rapper rolls and 4 eneloops later i had my thrower back from the dead.

there is a bunch of Xenon Mags out there now. they are just putting in better reflector/bulb. Mag won't disappear because we like the size. You don't EDC one, but when your camping you want something that won't(can't) get misplaced.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had 6d in my car when it was flooded by sandy, (salt water dirt sand.) water was up to windows, mag was by the seat , on the floor, not a drop in the tube, on reflector, in the switch. survived like nothing happened.

Altec

Newly Enlightened
i had 6d in my car when it was flooded by sandy, (salt water dirt sand.) water was up to windows, mag was by the seat , on the floor, not a drop in the tube, on reflector, in the switch. survived like nothing happened.

That's impressive!

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,
I have my 6C since 1992 and I still use it. Standard lamp (the krypton ones that are packed by 2) with 6 C nimh cells. The only modification is the glass lens as I found out that the plastic one didn't take the continuous heath so well... I love this light a lot and it combines nostalgia with practicality. In fact I also have a Solitaire and some 2AAA minimags of the same age as well (these smaller lights are led-equipped) and they refuse to die as well. I guess that these incandescent Maglites, as well as the incandescent Surefires, must be the lights with the longest life expectancy... by a margin.

Kind regards,
Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
People on this forum often look down on Maglites but when needed they do work.
I have lots of flahlights and I havd had failures with Inova (often), Fenix and Peak. Never with incan Mags or incan Surefires. Never.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
The nasty thing is that they are so much more expensive on our side of the pond.

Before the latest inflation correction you could get two 2D Mags from the US under 22 euros (under that is VAT free when importing), excluding shipping.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I have two x 7Ds, two or three x 6Ds, three x 7Cs & four x 6Cs,

One of the 7d's is mint, the other is all beat up, but I wont have that for a few weeks yet...planning to modd it...will either be 150W (or 250W hotwire if I can fit it all in...)

I use one of the 7C's all the time, and one of the 6C's also...both live in the car...loaded with A123's and 64658 or 64623's, unregulated...simple hard use hotwires...Hence the A123's...and a Jimmy M regulated 6D at home with 26650 cells either emoli or the 4000Mah orange cells, and a 64633.

I like the big lights...only way to get huge power and runtime...and no I dont plan to use it for a club...I am a flashlight geek and have spend 1000's of $$ and hours on the hobby, $100's on each individual light, and would prove that my knowlege and interest of the light far extends the premeditation to carry it as a weapon. The lights I use do look beat up though...they were used by their previous owners as bats...gives them a nice look...and makes me happy to use them...not a problem if dropped...or if I need to bash something with them...(not that i do...dont want to pop a lamp) but have used them as a bat to play ball with and dropped them on concrete and got away with it most of the time (with one exeption of a lamp going pop)

ETA: I can still get 6C's if anyone wants one (or 2)...I will check next time I am in the store if they are C's in the serial number or not...they are in a shop thats not on the internet...

Last edited:

stienke

Enlightened
The big C's are running out in the stores , Maglite doesn't make them anymore , I got 5 and 6C's and still love them and I'm thinking should I buy 4C's? , the answer is yes because it's a matter of time before these are all gone.
They are not the best performing lights but still the best lights ever made , a true American History that will never let you down because they doný use electronics.
The best light for a 'Prepper';)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big C's are running out in the stores , Maglite doesn't make them anymore

I think they ran out a LONG time ago. A month or two ago, I actually tried calling a few hardware stores in out of the way places (and here in California, we have places that are REALLY out there!), only to be told that they have none.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
The big C's are running out in the stores , Maglite doesn't make them anymore , I got 5 and 6C's and still love them and I'm thinking should I buy 4C's? , the answer is yes because it's a matter of time before these are all gone.
They are not the best performing lights but still the best lights ever made , a true American History that will never let you down because they doný use electronics.
The best light for a 'Prepper';)

If you want to be a prepper in The Netherlands you should first make sure you live somewhere in the east / south of the country, since the rest is way under sea level.

stienke

Enlightened
If you want to be a prepper in The Netherlands you should first make sure you live somewhere in the east / south of the country, since the rest is way under sea level.

There are a lot of preppers around the world but I'm not , if the end of the world comes whe go all together, including my Mags:grin2:

BTW , I live in the 'far east'of the netherlands so I get no wet feet;)

bnemmie

Enlightened
I have a brand new 6D standing on a shelf that I have no idea what to do with lol

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I just got mine as well; I'm going to make a 5761 using a JimmyM regulator and six Tenergy Centura D cells for good runtime.

Perhaps a long runtime ROP high is a good place to start?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a long runtime ROP high is a good place to start?

That's actually one of the REALLY nice things about a 6D. It may be large. But you have enough runtime for a ROP to actually be a usable light. The only thing I question is how well the plastic tower on the switch is going to stand up to the heat created by the 3854H. That bulb makes things SERIOUSLY hot when you have a light that can actually run a decent amount of time.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's actually one of the REALLY nice things about a 6D. It may be large. But you have enough runtime for a ROP to actually be a usable light. The only thing I question is how well the plastic tower on the switch is going to stand up to the heat created by the 3854H. That bulb makes things SERIOUSLY hot when you have a light that can actually run a decent amount of time.

there were few reports of solder on positive contact of the bulb melt after 10 min of none stop use, i would either use rop low, if you want long runtime, or switch to bipin.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I've run my 3854H on 6AA and 2x IMR 18650 straight off the charger to dead without any deformation of the socket or solder blob on the bulb; maybe I am one of the lucky ones? Now that you've mentioned it, I have read about the deformation, but hadn't thought about it since I had never experienced it. I would assume that I am just lucky, and perhaps there is a better, less thermally damaging solution. FM sells G4 sockets that work on standard Mags; perhaps that is a better place to start.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run my 3854H on 6AA and 2x IMR 18650 straight off the charger to dead without any deformation of the socket or solder blob on the bulb; maybe I am one of the lucky ones?

You can't run a 3854H for two hours nonstop on 6AA or two 18650. That's the huge difference when running six full-sized D batteries in a 6D light.