maglite 6D

wrxzzz

Newly Enlightened
I know its' been asked a million times but the links are all dead on the old threads. Where can I find good parts to modify my maglite 6D? So far it just looks tough with a bust-a-cap, crenalated strike bezel pac skin rubber and a baton handle. Now its time to make it BRIGHT!l

Also, how do you get the the switch to modify it? I've read about people getting a metal "tower" (probably wrong term, the part that holds the bulb) and it looks like that needs to be removed to get to the switch. How do you remove it?

I'd like to go with a glass lens, metal tower, metal reflector, large incandescent bulb and I'm not against a new switch if necessary. I will be picking up new batteries and a charger so I'm not limited on power supply either.

I'd love to find a one stop shop (batteries excluded) and some help putting together my list. Thanks in advance for the help.

wrxzzz

Newly Enlightened
OK I found the parts. I just ordered a Mag D ican driver, aluminum reflector and glass lens.

Now I just need to know what bulb and batteries to go with. I want it as bright as possible! Any suggestions?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the AccuPower Evolution NiMH D cells. I've also had decent luck with the Titanium branded NiMH D's, and the Powerizer NiMH D's are generally well regarded. The Titaniums (batteryjunction.com) and Powerizers (batteryspace.com) can both be had cheap. Any of these cells and a Maha MH-C808M charger would be a great combo.

Since you've already ordered the incan driver, you might as well go with the Philips 5761. I think that's still the brightest bulb on 7.2V.

There are plenty of other set-ups for a 6D (no shortage of space in there), but 6x NiMH D cells is pretty foolproof.

Edit: Forgot... the 5761 is a fairly wide bulb, and not all reflectors have a bulb opening large enough to accommodate it.

Last edited:

wrxzzz

Newly Enlightened
Could I use this (21AA >6D ~25.2V, for button top cells) and a larger bulb? Is this too much for the Mag D ican switch I bought? If not how big a bulb can I use?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish someone could offer some complete setups for a Mag6D incan mod. There are several possible bulbs, reflectors, and sometimes needing to order from different dealers, so it feels hard to know what is the best...

Regards, Patric

wrxzzz

Newly Enlightened
I agree, it's tough to decide. I think I'm gonna go with ten 1/2D NiMh cells. Now I just need to decide on a bulb. My reflector has a 15 mm opening. Any suggestions?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the 1/2 D NiMH cells I've come across have warnings about not being able to handle high current draws. (No idea why.) NiCad's can supply the current, but have lousy capacity (NiMH 1/2 D's aren't that great either).

How about 9x SubC's (like the Elite 5000) and a WA01185 bulb?

A couple threads you might want to check out:

wrxzzz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. I went with the 6 X NiMh D by titanium and philips 5761. I'll post some pics once it's together.

uknewbie

Banned
How did you get on with this setup?

I currenty have 6 x NiMH Accupower LSD 10Ah and C808-M with a ROP High, OP reflector and glass lens.

This is pretty good, decent throw even with the OP, and a decent beam. Tried a smooth reflector too but this is not a nice beam and doesn't throw much farther I don't think.

I was thinking of getting a bi-pin socket and a 5761, as this is listed as a little brighter, just not sure how much or if it would be worthwhile.