Maglite Mag-Tac - Not impressed...

LuxClark

Newly Enlightened
I've always had maglites and thought they were the better flashlights in my house. They are always reliable and give a decent amount of light for what I needed. And I think you get what you pay for and they are more expensive and better than lights you would pick up at any regular store. (Generally speaking). Even after I've recently found this forum and been looking into a flashlight that is considered 'acceptable' around here, I was considering the XL-50 for under $30. And it probably would have been fine. But I think I agree that, based on the stats for the light, it doesn't hold up as well as a lot of lights here. It's not worth the MSRP of over $100, but seeing on Amazon for $67 seems at least close to what you would get. But for me, spending that amount of money… I'd rather pay the extra bucks for something better. And you wouldn't be going exponentially higher for something much better. (Klarus XT11? EaglTac T20C2-II? Etc?)

Some comments:
-2 Clicks for permanent on?? If I read the instructions right… that sounds like too much work for no reason.
-Plastic lens…
-Waterproof? I see IPX-8 like a rubber stamp everywhere but I didn't find it with this light. So it shows that it's water resistant but I'm not sure how much.
-Work with the US Military?? Really?? Are they considering this light for troops or did they just ask them what they want in a light?

I think Maglite is still working their normal buyers and still feeling out the higher end Tac light market.

surfingwta

Newly Enlightened
I love maglite but clearly they are outclassed on some product offerings.
I still swear by their D-cell lineup due to the great run time, quality construction, cheap price and USA made lights.
The XL lights had much to be desired but I bought many of them.
The no lanyard nor anti-roll measures where sure head scratchers.

I ordered one today and hope to have it soon as it will probably be my new shotgun light since I think the bezel is the same as the XL.

JCD

Enlightened
But I think I agree that, based on the stats for the light, it doesn't hold up as well as a lot of lights here.

As a rule, take on-paper specs with a grain of salt. My highest quality and most useful lights look vastly inferior on paper to lights that, in real world use, leave MUCH to be desired.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true, the industry's standard light is a plastic light you have to bang on with your gun to get it to light again. :D

To the great unwashed, a maglight or streamlight is a super duper flashlight, made of METAL! that you don't have to bang on with your gun to make it go on again. (And they DO throw like a mofo...just too teeny a spot of light)

I guess because we are in a forum that discusses flashlights in quite a bit of our conversations....we tend to know what's out there, and that that what underwhelms us, as we know what COULD BE, might THRILL someone ignorant of what's available.

As the OP is discussing the OP's disappointment with the maglight, and not really focusing on the fact that people who don't better might buy it anyway...a discussion about how many ignorant, (or at least with lower standards/expectations) people will keep the company afloat could be started. As its a an American company, and there are not many in this biz, I WANT them to succeed, and don't disagree that there are potentially enough suckers born in enough minutes to keep them going until they actually remember how to make something new, and hopefully state of the art THIS decade, instead of following, etc.

If they sell enough clones of last decade's light, maybe they'll try next decade later on, hopefully not TWO decades later, etc.

:D

Well I wouldn't characterize their customers as ignorant or suckers (borders on baiting/trolling imo), but I too hope Maglite stays innovative enough to keep making flashlights for decades to come, for those who just buy/use flashlights and enthusiasts alike.

IDK why it seems like Maglites elicit more anger than any other brand, even SF. Maybe not completely a bad thing, but either way I do have to respect the passion behind it!

LuxClark

Newly Enlightened
As a rule, take on-paper specs with a grain of salt. My highest quality and most useful lights look vastly inferior on paper to lights that, in real world use, leave MUCH to be desired.

LOL... agreed! Just wanted to be clear where my opinion was from. I really would be interested to see a side by side test just to know what it is like.

But I would be really curious to know more about Maglite's comment about working with the Military.

And I still like their products.

RemcoM

Enlightened
What a piece of crap that mag tag, must be!! My cheap bicyclelight has more light!

Common guys!, buy a real flashlight, like a Fenix TK75, or an olight X6 Marauder.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Mag Tac for a while now. As a light, I'm pretty impressed with it. But just as I feared, the clip broke right at the bend near the tip. I've been keeping it in a Maxpedition holster on my belt. The clip wasn't even exposed. I imagine it broke when I bumped into something, but I'm unsure. It definitely wasn't abused. Why did they skimp on the clip? I guess I'll have to see if Mag will replace the clip under warranty. Unless they replace it with one made of metal, I don't think I'll be able to trust that it won't break again.

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
What a piece of crap that mag tag, must be!! My cheap bicyclelight has more light!

Common guys!, buy a real flashlight, like a Fenix TK75, or an olight X6 Marauder.
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Why did they skimp on the clip? I guess I'll have to see if Mag will replace the clip under warranty. Unless they replace it with one made of metal, I don't think I'll be able to trust that it won't break again.
The metal clip on the Surefire LX2 breaks very easily too. It's not the material, it's the design and the execution thereof.

Phry

Banned
Too big
Too little power
Too ugly
Too flimsy
Too expensive

Shurefire

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the Mag Tac for a while now. As a light, I'm pretty impressed with it. But just as I feared, the clip broke right at the bend near the tip. I've been keeping it in a Maxpedition holster on my belt. The clip wasn't even exposed. I imagine it broke when I bumped into something, but I'm unsure. It definitely wasn't abused. Why did they skimp on the clip? I guess I'll have to see if Mag will replace the clip under warranty. Unless they replace it with one made of metal, I don't think I'll be able to trust that it won't break again.

My guess as to why they skimped on the clip was that it simply is not a Maglite specialty. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other clips that they make? I don't like having clips on most of my lights anyways, so it's not a huge loss for me.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if the Air Force had purchased it, it wouldn't that bad I guess: for a standard government issue piece of gear it's not going to be the worst flashlight out there.
Could be wrong but I don't see PJs and CCTs using the Magtac though but those units have a whole different budget!

Last edited:

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
Too big
Too little power
Too expensive
It's a made in USA aluminum body light that's in the same size, price, and output range as the polymer body Surefire G2X. It also has pretty good run time for a 2xCR123 light, and long throw with a tight hot spot. Run time and throw are far more important than overall output for the Mag Tac's intended market. It also has a better UI for a two mode tactical light than the dual ouput SF X series lights have. Yet, I don't see people hating on the entry level SF lights.

Too flimsy
The clip is the only thing that's flimsy on it. Its direct competition from SF doesn't even come with a clip though. The SF LX2 sells for 3.5 times the price of the Mag Tac, has lower output, and an equally flimsy clip. There are at least two posts in this thread from LEO's that have been carrying a Mag Tac on duty, and their reports contradict your assertion that it's a flimsy light.

I'll give you that one. I think it looks fine, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Phry

Banned
It's a made in USA aluminum body light that's in the same size, price, and output range as the polymer body Surefire G2X. It also has pretty good run time for a 2xCR123 light, and long throw with a tight hot spot. Run time and throw are far more important than overall output for the Mag Tac's intended market. It also has a better UI for a two mode tactical light than the dual ouput SF X series lights have. Yet, I don't see people hating on the entry level SF lights.

The clip is the only thing that's flimsy on it. Its direct competition from SF doesn't even come with a clip though. The SF LX2 sells for 3.5 times the price of the Mag Tac, has lower output, and an equally flimsy clip. There are at least two posts in this thread from LEO's that have been carrying a Mag Tac on duty, and their reports contradict your assertion that it's a flimsy light.

I'll give you that one. I think it looks fine, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I totally agree with you.

If you compare it to Surefire it doesn't look all bad.

Try comparing it to all the others though... It looks pretty poor.

This being Maglites first attempt at something really new in some decades!

Dear oh dear.

You also forgot to mention that for a 2 x cr123 light it is huge!

It has a cheap, thin, plastic lens!

It does not support 18650.

There are a list of manufacturers who don't make ANYTHING this poor in their entire lineup. This is the flagship model for Maglite!

:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
There are a list of manufacturers who don't make ANYTHING this poor in their entire lineup. This is the flagship model for Maglite!

Malkoff, Surefire, McGizmo, Cool Fall, Macs Customs, Photon Phonatic … who else?

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
If you compare it to Surefire it doesn't look all bad.

Try comparing it to all the others though... It looks pretty poor.

This being Maglites first attempt at something really new in some decades!
Comparing it to other flashlights in its price range it looks pretty good. That it compares so well to Surefire says quite a bit. I think Mag actually did pretty well with this being their first truly new light in quite a while. They did quite a bit right.

You also forgot to mention that for a 2 x cr123 light it is huge!

It has a cheap, thin, plastic lens!

It does not support 18650.

It's smaller than the SF C/P/Z series, smaller than the ElZetta ZFL series, and smaller than a Malkoff MD2. The cheap, thin, plastic lens has yet to be a problem in actual use. If it becomes a problem it will be easy enough to make a substitution. Surefire and ElZetta don't support 18650 either. If the target market starts demanding 18650 support I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige. Those other makers base model lights also start at twice the price, so they better be nicer. If Mag can make a sub $60 street price light this good, then imagine what they could do if they chose to go higher end.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
That it compares so well to Surefire says quite a bit. I think Mag actually did pretty well with this being their first truly new light in quite a while.
Plus, the fact that SureFire quickly updated the 6PX/G2X to precisely 320 lumens says a lot...

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
Plus, the fact that SureFire quickly updated the 6PX/G2X to precisely 320 lumens says a lot...
You wouldn't be implying anything would you? ;)