MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!! (pics in post 34)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Because like all Mags it is geared towards throw, no matter what other LED light I shined approx 25' at a frigde the Rebel spot was WAY brighter.

Romisen RC-G2 and RC-F4 are toys in throw compared to the Rebel.

Even an R2 Solarforce in a SMO reflector doesn't have as tight/bright a spot!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering. I'd love to see a brightness/runtime graph comparing the rebel vs. luxeon 2D Mag. Is anyone still doing those? Also, are they planning on a 3D upgrade?

+1 on wanting to see runtime graphs! I'm also hoping MrGman or someone drops these new Mags into the integrating sphere for true lumen readings, too.

Brad

Newly Enlightened
I just got the mag 2D/Rebel last week. Thank you all for your reviews. I tested mine with two Eneloops the other night and got a little over 3 hours of light. Not bad for such small batteries compared to the D's. This set of eneloops was only charged once so maybe I'll get more runtime later once the batteries are broken in. I'll find out when it warms up. I mostly use the mag lights outside. The beam is a different tint from my other mag/led upgraded lights. I like it so far.

Some of you are lucky to have the Eneloops in local stores. I'm about 40 miles south of chicago. I havn't seen them anywhere near me. Had to order them from the Internet. I was lucky enough to find some white top Duracell's at the local Target store though.

Brad

likeguymontag

Enlightened
I did some testing of the new driver. This model is approximately 80% efficient when driven at 3v. I tried driving it all the way to 6.0V and 6.5V, and it drove the LED at the same power level, but efficiency fell to ~65%.

Anyway, at 3.0V, this driver module is maybe 4-5% more efficient than the previous luxeon version. Dunno about lower voltages, like NiMH or alkalines under load, 'cause my "bench supply" only outputs a handful of fixed voltages.

Edit: it occurs to me that my test equipment may not have enough precision and accuracy to make these claims. I can say that the new module is roughly as efficient as the old one, and maybe a bit more efficient.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some testing of the new driver. This model is approximately 80% efficient when driven at 3v. I tried driving it all the way to 6.0V and 6.5V, and it drove the LED at the same power level, but efficiency fell to ~65%.

Anyway, at 3.0V, this driver module is maybe 4-5% more efficient than the previous luxeon version. Dunno about lower voltages, like NiMH or alkalines under load, 'cause my "bench supply" only outputs a handful of fixed voltages.

Edit: it occurs to me that my test equipment may not have enough precision and accuracy to make these claims. I can say that the new module is roughly as efficient as the old one, and maybe a bit more efficient.

So it's like some kind of linear regulator?

likeguymontag

Enlightened
So it's like some kind of linear regulator?

No, it's a boost regulator for sure. I'm not clear on what it does when Vi > Vf. I can hear the inductor making a faint, high-pitched squeal when Vi > Vf, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:

likeguymontag

Enlightened
I'm confused as it doesn't sound it it's direct drive at 6v and the magic smoke didn't get out.

Well, I lack the electronics expertise to know for sure, but I would bet that it's a buck/boost driver, just like the previous version in the luxeon MagLeds. If that's not the case, then I suppose it's possible that it's boost when Vi < Vf and linear when Vi > Vf. Seriously though, it's probably just a "low-efficiency non-synchronous buck/boost" like the previous version was.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I lack the electronics expertise to know for sure, but I would bet that it's a buck/boost driver, just like the previous version in the luxeon MagLeds. If that's not the case, then I suppose it's possible that it's boost when Vi < Vf and linear when Vi > Vf. Seriously though, it's probably just a "low-efficiency non-synchronous buck/boost" like the previous version was.

I thought the previous versions were boost or buck depending on the module 2 cell would be boost and 3 cell and up would be buck.

I just thought it'd be interesting for mag to make a buck/boost module seems like it might be a boost and then linear regulator like you said instead of a real buck and boost.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to make 2 mods to my 2D Rebels. Firstly, instead of 2 D cells, they now run on 6 AA's in a 3S2P configuration using the adapters shown in post #358 - saves about 4oz. from the weight compared with using D cells. Secondly, I modified the end caps and fitted them with a charge plug so that the batteries can be recharged without having to remove them from the light. Also, here is a beam shot from 15 feet (focused tightly for the best spot - spill extends just beyond the edge of the picture).

a_54.jpg
a_53.jpg

Last edited:

g36pilot

Enlightened
I'd like to add some personal observations;

3. Gummy dome Seoul + Mag + Joe Average = one f'd up dome. I've seem far to many bulbs break when a headless Mag takes a fall when tailstanding. Not to mention they seem to be a magnet for dust and junk.

I've done this myself when my candle mode Mag 3C /Malikoff LED rolled off the console after a demo/flash-a-holic conversion. Compromised the dome resulting in LED replacement. Used an OTC Seoul P4 which worked almost as well.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try this. Take off the head. Rotate the the LED module about 45 degrees. Replace the head. Check if the spot is more centered. If not, rotate the module another 45 degrees (in the same direction) until centered. Worked for me in 2 of my 2D's that had off-center spots.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Sale at Sears!

On sears.com the 2D LED Maglite is on sale for $19.99. One store I went to had a mix of lux and rebel versions (DeLand, FL), another had all rebels in the usual pewter and in black (Daytona Beach, FL). I got a black one there which was the first rebel Mag I've seen that wasn't pewter.

You can buy on line for store pickup, but you won't know if you're getting a new one then. The stores will price match the website, so you have to tell them about the sale price. They didn't know about the Web sale and it rings up full price ($31) otherwise. I don't know how long the sale will last.
Also, if you're checking availability on sears.com, it isn't always accurate. It said the Daytona store was out of stock, but they had 4 on display, all rebels, so they might have just come in.

First impressions in my garage are very good. I'll have to test it out tonight.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
This is getting crazy.

My original Maglite sure was bright, until I got the MagLED upgrade. Then it was really bright and the incan was soooo dim. Here we go again. I just got the new Rebel 2D and it makes my 2D LED look soooo dim. The new one is a lot brighter with a much nicer tint. Even brighter than my 3D MagLED.

For $20 at Sears this is one great value! I look forward to Mag's next upgrade so I can post that this Rebel 2D is soooo dim...