MagTac. Good choice for law enforcement?

arKmm

Enlightened
Good choice on the PD35. I'm sure you will love it, and the other officers will be blown away by how bright it is.

Now you just need some good 18650s and a charger to go with it. If you haven't already bought some, I would recommend AW brand 3400mAh 18650 cells, and perhaps a Nitecore i4 charger. I believe Fenix also have their own brand of cells which are no doubt good quality, and you may have already bought some charger with batteries combo pack from the same place you bought your light.

If you are still looking for a light for your bag with lots of throw I would suggest maybe looking at a TK35. It retails for around $99 (£64), although the price from UK dealers may be higher. Alternatively, you could just have a look around this forum and get some ideas for what to do with the 2D Mag that you already own; there are lots of crazy bright mods that you could do.
I would imagine so, seeing as 70% of them still use LED Lenser P7s (gah)!

i have a box of ultra fire branded 18650 batteries that I've used with my other torches in the past, but I picked up a fenix branded 18650 3400mAh to go with this new torch. I imagine it'll be just as good as the AW one, or at least I hope it will be. (It is the same price after all, perhaps it's just a rebranded AW or other decent brand).

i think I'll still pick up the ML300L for my bag, as although there are lights out there like the Thrunite throwers, I just want something simple that I don't want to worry about handing out for other people to use. If I get the 3D variant, that's 650 lumen with a decent focus able reflecter that'll give a good enough throw, and that's good enough for me. Question is, do I run it on alkalines, or buy some more NiMh rechargeables

Stream

Enlightened
The Fenix branded cells are probably just as good as AW. I just always recommend AW because it's the only brand I've been using for about a decade now, so I can personally vouch for the fact that they are high quality cells. And they are highly regarded here on CPF. I'm not sure about UltraFire, though. But if you've used them for a while with no trouble, I suppose they're fine.

For some reason when you've been talking about the Mag ML300L, I've been picturing the Mag XL200! lol Which is a small 3xAAA light, and I thought what a sad option :laughing:. However, I think a 2D ML300L would be a perfectly decent option for your bag light. Being a big Maglite, it's going to throw very, very far regardless of whether you get the 524 lumen 2D or the 650 lumen 3D version. If you're not going to use it very often then I would say run it on alkalines, but if it gets used every night (or even every other night) then I would run it on NiMh rechargeables that you top off regularly.

arKmm

Enlightened
The Ultrafire batteries work, but they have massively overstated capacities. In short, they were good for cheap torches that weren't getting used for long periods.

In my current Maglite I use those special Vapex Instant rechargeables, as they supposedly hold their charge for months. I might get a couple more of them rather than using alkaline.

Stream

Enlightened
The Ultrafire batteries work, but they have massively overstated capacities. In short, they were good for cheap torches that weren't getting used for long periods.

Yes, cheapo cells will do that. I would also be concerned about venting and explosion if they are pushed too hard.

In my current Maglite I use those special Vapex Instant rechargeables, as they supposedly hold their charge for months. I might get a couple more of them rather than using alkaline.

Sounds like a plan. I would also grab a spare quality 18650 for your PD35 while you're at it. I have two AW 3400mAh 18650s for my PD35, and between the two of them I never run out of juice even if I use it all day.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought I would pop in and recommend a Jetbeam BC40 as your bag light. Two output levels and simple operation. You could run it on 4x123As or 2x18650s. It has a nice throw with around 700 lumens out the front. I have one in my bag, loaded with 18650s although it doesn't get used much.

Stream

Enlightened
I just thought I would pop in and recommend a Jetbeam BC40 as your bag light. Two output levels and simple operation. You could run it on 4x123As or 2x18650s. It has a nice throw with around 700 lumens out the front. I have one in my bag, loaded with 18650s although it doesn't get used much.

I actually have two BC40s, one with OP reflector and one smooth. It is a good suggestion, but I thought they were discontinued.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have two BC40s, one with OP reflector and one smooth. It is a good suggestion, but I thought they were discontinued.

Probably. However I still see them for sale brand new. Amazon has them for much less now than what I originally paid for mine. Fifty dollars now.

Stream

Enlightened
Probably. However I still see them for sale brand new. Amazon has them for much less now than what I originally paid for mine. Fifty dollars now.

If he can grab one of these, it would make an excellent bag light. It has tons of throw, and a forward clicky tail switch that allows momentary on. The UI is also very simple, only two modes (high and low) accessed via tightening and untightening the head. It's a very simple torch that he doesn't have to worry about handing off to someone else to use. Also, the stated lumen output on the packaging on my two BC40s say 830 lumens, not sure if that's out the front or what.

arKmm

Enlightened
I can't find any decent suppliers of the Jetbeam in the UK unfortunately, so I think I'll stick with the maglite option. Few questions on that though,

1. 2D or 3D? Apparently you get 100 lumen and 50 metres more out of the 3D

2. On a completely unrelated note, can you run a torch that wants 2x CR123As on a 1x 18650 instead? I have a gun torch that is designed for 2x CR123A, but using 18650 would be handy.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find any decent suppliers of the Jetbeam in the UK unfortunately, so I think I'll stick with the maglite option. Few questions on that though,

1. 2D or 3D? Apparently you get 100 lumen and 50 metres more out of the 3D

2. On a completely unrelated note, can you run a torch that wants 2x CR123As on a 1x 18650 instead? I have a gun torch that is designed for 2x CR123A, but using 18650 would be handy.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up after looking at Jetbeam and then go back to Maglite. There are lots of other options.

Something like the Fenix LD41 (4xAA) or Nitecore MH40 (2x18650 but USB rechargeable) would be worth a look.

What is the 'gun torch'? This will dictate the answer to your question as some are fine on 1x18650, or you might need a 17670 or it might not be suitable.

arKmm

Enlightened
I wouldn't be so quick to give up after looking at Jetbeam and then go back to Maglite. There are lots of other options.

Something like the Fenix LD41 (4xAA) or Nitecore MH40 (2x18650 but USB rechargeable) would be worth a look.

What is the 'gun torch'? This will dictate the answer to your question as some are fine on 1x18650, or you might need a 17670 or it might not be suitable.

I'm not convinced the Fenix LD41 would be that different to the Fenix PD35 I already have on my belt. I'm looking for something bigger to live in my bag that can hold large capacity batteries and be a good searchlight.

The MH40 does look rather good, but it's double my budget! The Mag comes in at £55, so any alternative would need to be a similiar cost.

As for the gun torch, it's built into an MP5 foregrip and runs off a CREE XPE (possibly XPG) chip. It's not branded, and runs off 2x 123s.

Stream

Enlightened
I'm not convinced the Fenix LD41 would be that different to the Fenix PD35 I already have on my belt. I'm looking for something bigger to live in my bag that can hold large capacity batteries and be a good searchlight.

The LD41 is very different to the PD35. It takes 4xAA, you could use NiMH or AA lithium primaries. It is not brighter than the PD35, but because it is much bigger, and has a bigger reflector, it throws further. The PD35 throws 209 meters on turbo (960 lumens), and the LD41 will throw 270 meters--and that's at 680 lumens! So you are definitely going to get a bigger light that throws much further. It would make a very decent search light for your bag.

As for the gun torch, it's built into an MP5 foregrip and runs off a CREE XPE (possibly XPG) chip. It's not branded, and runs off 2x 123s

It may not be wide enough to take an 18650 cell. You could always just try and see if it fits. Seeing as an 18650 is 3.7v (4.2V on a full charge), and two CR123s are 6V, I doubt you're going to fry the light by testing it.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
People bash Mag's on here, and often justified. But FFS a 4AA Fenix will NOT, repeat NOT NOT NOT have the throw or runtime of a 3D Mag.

Some of your are way to Fenix obsessed and forget that there are other torch makers and brands.

That said, Mag is not the only alternative either.

OP - There are loads and loads of lights out there. And good quality ones don't have to cost a fortune either.

If runtime is important, then the Mag D series are hard to beat. Their regulation programs also promote long runtimes rather than output - this is on purpose.

The downside is, alkalines are disposable. And have a tendency to leak, so there is always some risk they will ruin the torch they are in, even if the batteries are new. If you want rechargeable, then you really want Low Self Discharge (LSD) NiMh. These are rare in D size, although you could opt to run AA Eneloops. But capacity will be lower, so total runtimes will be less.

The big difference between the 2D and 3D Mags is runtime. Output wise they are pretty close, but runtime the 3D is many times superior.

As for alternatives. Well feel free to PM me and I can send you some links (as I can't post them directly in this thread).

So long as you don't mind waiting for delivery (2-4 weeks), then buying from overseas can get you good performing torches for a lot less.

For example:

The above can be had $50 delivered (about £30).

For the money you can also choose between a cool white or a neutral white XM-L2. If being used as a 'searchlight' then I would advise neutral white. As the colour rendering & tint when used in green areas will be far superior.

You can also choose at the time of ordering on how many modes you want it to have:

2 Modes: Low (15%) - High (100%)
3 Modes: Low(2%) - Medium(25%) - High(100%)
4 Modes: Firefly(5mA) - Low(2%) - Medium(25%) - High(100%)
5 Modes: Low(5%) - Medium(30%) - High(100%) - Strobe - Beacon

The reality is, this won't have the runtime of a 3D Mag. But few things will. The plus side is, it will have similar throw and is more portable.

This light also runs on 1x26650, 1x18650 or 3AA in the supplied carrier. Which gives it versatility. You could have a 26650 ready loaded and the 3AA carrier with Eneloops in as backup.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
People bash Mag's on here, and often justified. But FFS a 4AA Fenix will NOT, repeat NOT NOT NOT have the throw or runtime of a 3D Mag.

Some of your are way to Fenix obsessed and forget that there are other torch makers and brands.

That said, Mag is not the only alternative either.

Your signature line "I'm as much Magaholic as flashaholic :twothumbs" says it all ;)

I was trying to get the OP to look at other options, and not just those ones suggested, or the most common brands.

The ML300LX is actually something I'd like to get hold of for a good test run, and to see if the quoted 625lm are really there.

One of the problems on CPF is that people often get obsessed with one brand or other and blinkered to other options. There is a light for everyone out there and often some very different reasons why it suits a particular person. I've got some Nightstick intrinsically safe (IS) lights sitting on my test bench right now - these are a bit different and won't suit everyone, but have a lot to offer even if you don't 'need' IS lights.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MH40 does look rather good, but it's double my budget! The Mag comes in at £55, so any alternative would need to be a similiar cost.

As for the gun torch, it's built into an MP5 foregrip and runs off a CREE XPE (possibly XPG) chip. It's not branded, and runs off 2x 123s.

I'm pretty sure the only manufacturer that has one of those is Surefire. Patenting and all. Though it may expire in a few years and we might start seeing others copying the design. The AW 17670 is so close to the same size as two Surefire 123As that I don't think you'd have an issue at all. My Centurion C2 is loaded up with one.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
16650 is closer to 2xCR123a than 17650. And as it turns out, most 16650's out perform 17650's anyhow.

That said. If the battery tube bore is big enough to fit an 18650, then you might as well try it. It won't do any harm.

18650 (or any single Li-ion) = 4.2v
2x CR123a = 6v

So what might happen is:

-it'll work fine
-it won't switch on as voltage is too low
-activates some kind of low voltage warning
-isn't as bright as it relies on the higher input voltage
-doesn't stay as bright for as long, as it relies on higher input voltage to supply led

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your signature line "I'm as much Magaholic as flashaholic :twothumbs" says it all ;)

I was trying to get the OP to look at other options, and not just those ones suggested, or the most common brands.

The ML300LX is actually something I'd like to get hold of for a good test run, and to see if the quoted 625lm are really there.

One of the problems on CPF is that people often get obsessed with one brand or other and blinkered to other options. There is a light for everyone out there and often some very different reasons why it suits a particular person. I've got some Nightstick intrinsically safe (IS) lights sitting on my test bench right now - these are a bit different and won't suit everyone, but have a lot to offer even if you don't 'need' IS lights.
Would certainly be interested in a review of the ML300LX. Although I think it is over priced for what it is.

My guess is, it'll pump out enough lumens to satisfy ANSI FL1, then quickly dim to something like 40% output or maybe even lower. Cycling the light off/on will restore full output again. As this sees to be Mags way with their other lights.

And for the record, while I'm a huge Mag fan. The only Mag LED I personally own is the Solitaire LED. Because I feel all the others are either over priced, under performing or both.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would certainly be interested in a review of the ML300LX. Although I think it is over priced for what it is. My guess is, it'll pump out enough lumens to satisfy ANSI FL1, then quickly dim to something like 40% output or maybe even lower. Cycling the light off/on will restore full output again. As this sees to be Mags way with their other lights. And for the record, while I'm a huge Mag fan. The only Mag LED I personally own is the Solitaire LED. Because I feel all the others are either over priced, under performing or both.

I'm nearly ready to post a review of the XL200. Its output actually climbs for the first minute, stabilises at the maximum output for about 10 minutes, then gradually drops over a couple of minutes to half that figure for the rest of the run with a very flat output.

arKmm

Enlightened
I opted for the ML300L 2D rather than the 3D in the end. I have 2 really good Vapex D cell batteries already, my charger can only charge in pairs, I can't buy another battery of the same type singly so I'd need to buy another pair, and my bag has a pouch for a 2D torch that won't take a 3D.

It'd have been nice to get the 3D for extra runtime and a bit more lumen/throw, but the logistics behind it prevented the purchase.

I've just got in from a night shift. Had cause to use my Fenix PD35 properly for the first time. As I had to footchase a suspect male running off through gardens in pitch black. The PD35 performed perfectly and illuminated as far as the eye can see, with a nice hotspot as well as good flood. All in all, I'm a happy chap.

Also got to use my Quiqlite X tonight for the first time. Was very helpful for completing paperwork in the dark hands free!

Stream

Enlightened
I opted for the ML300L 2D rather than the 3D in the end. I have 2 really good Vapex D cell batteries already, my charger can only charge in pairs, I can't buy another battery of the same type singly so I'd need to buy another pair, and my bag has a pouch for a 2D torch that won't take a 3D.

It'd have been nice to get the 3D for extra runtime and a bit more lumen/throw, but the logistics behind it prevented the purchase.

Sounds like you made the right choice.

I've just got in from a night shift. Had cause to use my Fenix PD35 properly for the first time. As I had to footchase a suspect male running off through gardens in pitch black. The PD35 performed perfectly and illuminated as far as the eye can see, with a nice hotspot as well as good flood. All in all, I'm a happy chap.

Wow, awesome to hear a story straight from the field :thumbsup:. I'm glad the light served you well!