MagTac. Good choice for law enforcement?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm nearly ready to post a review of the XL200. Its output actually climbs for the first minute, stabilises at the maximum output for about 10 minutes, then gradually drops over a couple of minutes to half that figure for the rest of the run with a very flat output.
Cool, I look forward to the review. I know LedResource did a review a while back on it. I personally prefer the regulation program they use on the XL200, anything newer seems to only offer max output for 3 mins or so, then nose dives. The XL200 regulation seems far more sensible to me.

In fact, I really want an XL200 for the funky UI and modes. Just a shame it's still the 172 lumen old gen LED (XP-E I think). The current XL50 has 200 lumens and an XP-G2.

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
Good choice on the PD35. I'm sure you will love it, and the other officers will be blown away by how bright it is.

Now you just need some good 18650s and a charger to go with it. If you haven't already bought some, I would recommend AW brand 3400mAh 18650 cells, and perhaps a Nitecore i4 charger. I believe Fenix also have their own brand of cells which are no doubt good quality, and you may have already bought some charger with batteries combo pack from the same place you bought your light.

If you are still looking for a light for your bag with lots of throw I would suggest maybe looking at a TK35. It retails for around $99 (£64), although the price from UK dealers may be higher. Alternatively, you could just have a look around this forum and get some ideas for what to do with the 2D Mag that you already own; there are lots of crazy bright mods that you could do.

+1 on Fenix. I recently got a TK 22 to carry on my belt and I love it! So much so, I just bought a second one to mount on my duty rifle. To me it came down to a choice between the TK 22 and at the PD 35. I'm sure I would be happy with the PD 35 as well.

I have the Nitecore I4 charger, and it works great. I went with Panasonic protected cells. I avoided the package deals with chargers and batteries as I was concerned about the quality of those add-ons. I paid a little more to get the charger and batteries separately.

There is a belt holster made by Brite Strike that will accommodate your light. It is a camlock, rotating holster. Although it is made for their lights, any 1 inch diameter light will fit. The TK 22 has to ride bezel up, the PD 35, with its more slender head, might be able to fit with the bezel down. I purchased mine through Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

arKmm

Enlightened
There is a belt holster made by Brite Strike that will accommodate your light. It is a camlock, rotating holster. Although it is made for their lights, any 1 inch diameter light will fit. The TK 22 has to ride bezel up, the PD 35, with its more slender head, might be able to fit with the bezel down. I purchased mine through Amazon.
Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

That's a pretty snazzy holster. I'm just making do with a standard one for now!

The ML300L 2D has arrived as well now and I like it. It's smaller than the old mags, and a little lighter.

arKmm

Enlightened
With the Fenix PD35, as 2x CR123 will provide a higher voltage than 1x 18650, would that mean it'd run brighter on CR123s?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Fenix PD35, as 2x CR123 will provide a higher voltage than 1x 18650, would that mean it'd run brighter on CR123s?
Review here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381867

Although it might not directly answer your question.

The reality is, no probably not. Or not be enough to really tell visually by eye.

What is more likely that on Turbo the higher voltage will offer longer sustained output, but overall much shorter runtimes.

To explain, the XM-L2 requires an input voltage of approx 3.x volts. A fully charged Li-ion 18650 has a resting voltage of 4.2 volts. As you apply load to a battery (amp draw), it will suffer voltage sag.

This means on a fresh battery it will provide Turbo mode fine, as the battery voltage drops, the voltage sag will mean the battery voltage may well drop below that required by the LED. So it's output will drop.

You can see this easily on this chart, note how the blue line drops quickly:
TN12-PD35-P12-MedHi.gif

So even though the battery might have quite a lot of mah capacity left, it won't have the voltage to offer the Turbo output, only the lower modes.

This depends on the driver being used in the torch however (3 main types; boost, linear & buck). I don't know for sure, but I don't think the Fenix uses a buck/boost driver looking at the discharge plots.

I think it is just a buck driver of some kind with maybe a linear mode for single cell use.

By using 2xCR123a or even RCR's you start with a much higher voltage than you need. The driver in this instance will buck the voltage down to the level the LED needs. So even when you include voltage sag as the batteries are discharged, you'll generally stay above the 3.x required by the LED. So this isn't giving you a brighter light in PEAK lumen terms, but means it'll offer a brighter light for longer. See this discharge chart:

Note the blue line doesn't dip as sharply and is flatter.
P12-HiCR123A.gif

And even more so on RCR's:
P12-HiRCR.gif

But the thing to note is, overall runtime including lower outputs, the multicell arrangements will generally last less time. e.g.

The 18650 starting on turbo manages over 240 mins before completely shutting off (follow the blue line on the first chart, note the step downs). But on RCR's it's more constant output on Turbo, but only manages 40's mins before shutting off. A whole 200 mins less runtime overall. The CR123a's are in between the rechargeable options. Also note the RCR's give the longest turbo runtime before stepping down and the flattest, but shortest overall runtime.

However there is a caveat here. Selfbuilt tends to use a massively outdated 2200mAh protected ICR 18650 to test with. This not only is low capacity for a modern 18650, but also low amp draw. You have two choices:

1. Run a high performance IMR 18650
2. Or a high capacity ICR 18650

For example, if you used something like a 2500mAh Samsung 25R 18650 IMR battery. It has a very high discharge rate and will suffer less voltage sag than the 18650 used in the test. This means this 18650 would offer a more stable discharge and more light for longer. Probably not to the same level as the higher voltage multicell options. But vastly better than the 2200 used in the test. Total runtime would still be much longer than the multicell options too.

If you went for the 3400, discharge performance isn't as good as an IMR, but is better than the 2200. So Turbo performance will improve still, just more marginally than with the IMR. But total runtimes, especially if you use lower modes more often will be massively longer, maybe half as much again.

I hope this has given you enough info to allow you to answer your own question.

Personally, unless I had specific need to use CR123a's or were given them for free, I see no reason not to use a good 18650. Much less hassle and cheaper in the longer run.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
Update from the field, the Fenix has served me very well these last few months but it does seem a little too complicated for what I need a lot of the time. If I hand it to a colleague to borrow they often end up pressing the wrong button or cycling it onto low power. As such, I decided to get something new that would be extremely simple to operate, extremely robust. I ended up looking at Surefire and went through their range. A lot of it was definitely too costly for me to justify and I found the G2X range, specifically the LE variant. It was brighter than the standard G2X (400 v 320 lumen) and most importantly would turn on in full power mode straight off the bat which is what we need rather than having to fiddle around pressing and cycling through modes. Although it wasn't as bright as the fenix, it still should be sufficient and will probably last a little longer on the battery! I'm hoping for much robustness from its polymer body too.

Report to follow once I've used it on some night shifts, but I think we all know what to expect from Surefire :)

Also, thanks to the magaholic above for his info on rechargeables. I did appreciate it, sorry for not thanking you earlier.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update, arKmm; it's truly great to hear how things turn out - for better or worse, ha ha. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to hearing how the Surefire turns out!

maglite mike

Enlightened
On a budget the mag tac and ml 300 LX can be had for under $100. The rechargable mag tac and mag charger led are also a good option for around $200 all in. I prefer run times over brute lumens.

arKmm

Enlightened
It's working well, it's basically everything that an old mag was, but with an XML2 that brings it into the modern age. Very handy to have the adjustable throw to flood, and it's not broken on me yet! It stays in my bag and doesn't get used much as I use the torch on my belt the vast majority of the time.

I've just used the Surefire G2X LE for the first time today. I honestly thought it was broken because it just wouldn't turn on properly. I'd click it and it'd flash on and then off, so I sat at home turning it on and off a few hundred times and it's now working fine. Perhaps it just needed to be seated or worn in? Either way, it now works fine and did me well. It's a bit more floody than I was expecting as I thought it'd have a strong hotspot to give a bit of throw and then moderate flood, however it seems it's been designed as a 'room filler' for tactical situations to light up all around you rather than just what it's pointing at. It does still have a hotspot which is more than enough for most situations, but with the combination of a lower lumen count (400 on the G2X LE versus 900 on the Fenix PD35) and the preference of the light for flood over throw I wouldn't expect too much of it at range. Thankfully, I have a large mag for that :)

I'm happy with the Surefire G2X LE despite the lower power as it seems more robust than the Fenix and it does what I need simply (i.e turn on full power first click guaranteed with no fuss or confusion) and therefore I know I can hand it to a colleague without a worry.

I'll give it a few weeks use and report back again once I've used it a bit more. The only problem I can myself getting annoyed with perhaps is just the lower output but 400 (true) lumens should still be enough for most situations.