Malkoff E2XT green

Tribull

Enlightened
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has picked up one of these, and if so how you like it? I have a M61 red, but outside it's not very effective.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a M61 red, but outside it's not very effective.
Number 24, I see.

I am a huge fan of Malkoff's product, but I don't own any of Gene's dropins, and I can't make any sense of descriptions such as, "high," "low," and especially, "low low," and only slightly more of current draw statements such as "800mA."

Descriptions such as, "We now have a 90lm "V1" ~and~ a 15lm "V2" dropin being produced," and "The exact model of the LED is the SST-20 bin DR-B120-V660, output estimates to be targeted around 90 lumens for the 'v1' and 15 lumens for the 'v2," make a lot more sense, but lumen output can still be deceiving with colored light in that 15 lumens of red looks nothing like 15 lumens of white.

What I can tell you is that with low output light, everything depends on how adapted to dark one's eyes are; the less one's eyes are adapted to dark, the brighter a light will need to be. But I can also say that red light will appear dimmer at the same lumen output as white light and especially green light. Green light just appears brighter due to how our eyes evolved and how they work.

I think there's a good chance most here know all this already, but I wanted to point out that everyones' eyes are different, and even a single individual's eyes are different throughout the day, in the evening, throughout the night, and before dawn. But the majority here seem to trend away from acknowledging or preserving and using dark adapted vision, aka scotopic vision, preferring to blast hundreds or even thousands of lumens at all times. I think the low output flashlight is for those that desire a bit more finesse in conditions of little or no ambient light.

but outside it's not very effective.
I would recommend before drawing this conclusion and condemning it to indoor use only that you attempt to achieve night vision, that after dark, you protect your eyes from any bright light for a few hours, which means sitting around in near darkness for anywhere between 30 minutes and a couple hours, and then see what it can show your eyes in the pitch of blackness with eyes that can see in the dark.

There is a New Moon on the 19th, and on that evening and the evenings just before and after, if you happen to live in an area without a lot of light pollution or not near neighbors that light their properties up like sports stadiums, and if you can be patient enough to achieve and preserve dark adapted vision, you'll have a far better idea of what you have there and when and how you can use it.

Tribull

Enlightened
Number 24, I see.

I am a huge fan of Malkoff's product, but I don't own any of Gene's dropins, and I can't make any sense of descriptions such as, "high," "low," and especially, "low low," and only slightly more of current draw statements such as "800mA."

Descriptions such as, "We now have a 90lm "V1" ~and~ a 15lm "V2" dropin being produced," and "The exact model of the LED is the SST-20 bin DR-B120-V660, output estimates to be targeted around 90 lumens for the 'v1' and 15 lumens for the 'v2," make a lot more sense, but lumen output can still be deceiving with colored light in that 15 lumens of red looks nothing like 15 lumens of white.

What I can tell you is that with low output light, everything depends on how adapted to dark one's eyes are; the less one's eyes are adapted to dark, the brighter a light will need to be. But I can also say that red light will appear dimmer at the same lumen output as white light and especially green light. Green light just appears brighter due to how our eyes evolved and how they work.

I think there's a good chance most here know all this already, but I wanted to point out that everyones' eyes are different, and even a single individual's eyes are different throughout the day, in the evening, throughout the night, and before dawn. But the majority here seem to trend away from acknowledging or preserving and using dark adapted vision, aka scotopic vision, preferring to blast hundreds or even thousands of lumens at all times. I think the low output flashlight is for those that desire a bit more finesse in conditions of little or no ambient light.

I would recommend before drawing this conclusion and condemning it to indoor use only that you attempt to achieve night vision, that after dark, you protect your eyes from any bright light for a few hours, which means sitting around in near darkness for anywhere between 30 minutes and a couple hours, and then see what it can show your eyes in the pitch of blackness with eyes that can see in the dark.

There is a New Moon on the 19th, and on that evening and the evenings just before and after, if you happen to live in an area without a lot of light pollution or not near neighbors that light their properties up like sports stadiums, and if you can be patient enough to achieve and preserve dark adapted vision, you'll have a far better idea of what you have there and when and how you can use it.
All good points thanks. I should have added that there is some ambient light outside my house so it's not pitch black. I'm pretty sure if I were using the same drop in out in the woods it would be a very different story.