Malkoff "Hound Dog"

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's wise to have a spare set of batteries for the MD3 or MD4 setup... though if you have multiple lights, it might not be needed much. 18650HD seems to have a very good runtime graph!!

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got home, so i will try to catch up here after a while.

I guess it depends on what you need.

You either get a long drawn out decline in output or you get high output for a while with a leave you in the dark moment with no warning

Each has their benefit and drawbacks

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, here is a teaser. let me know what you think. Are we too crowded and need to put low mode test on a separate graph? I will eventually figure out how to properly post.

There is a member here that does tests/reviews on batteries/chargers and you can change options in his charts to see different results. I need to figure out how to do that. Or even better; if there is someone here that wants to take on the tasks of making the charts;)

trlmkID.jpg

How about this?
nBC78D5.jpg

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really something, INFRNL.

Only problem is, as you pointed out, it will get buried in this thread. I wonder where we could stash it for safe keeping?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may ask a fellow member to help me out with the graphs, etc. He is not a part of the malkoff family but a very nice helpful guy.

If I can figure all of this out and how to properly post the graphs. I might start my own runtime thread which would allow for all the info to always be in 1 spot.

Or I will just add a link to my sig. Either way if we can be patient I will figure it out and I will eventually go back and redo my other lights that didn't get tested on my meter.

I will also try to figure out the best solution for the graphs. However I'm open to suggestions.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for my testing methods to keeping everything consistent.

I don't always check either but I need to figure out a way that I can show temps as well.

What I really need is a meter with data logging capabilities, I almost bought one when I bought this meter I think.

An integrated sphere would also be nice but my cheesy makeshift contraption is close enough for what we are looking for.

Sad thing is I probably have the least time out of anyone to be doing this, but my mind always tells me to do it for the greater good of those curious/in need

I'm only able to do these tests when I'm home, when I'm working; I work 18-20hrs a day 5-7 days a week.

Anyway, let me get this all figured out, then I will keep the final revisions in a separate thread or a link in a sig if possible

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds awesome. I know your line of work is especially demanding, although it drives our economy!

Whenever you get around to it, we will all be edified by a new thread or sticky or whatever.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, if I have to:crackup:

On a side note, 3x streamlight primaries. These dang things don't want to die.

The other day I put them back in the light to kill them off. I left Monday morning and forgot to turn the light off. Here we are nearly 4 days later and it's still chugging away putting out approx .3lm

On Friday, I will redo the 3x primary test using the surefires and see if they behave the same as the streamlights.

Lastly, battery junction is having slight discounts on stuff, so I'm going to place an order for a bunch of primaries from streamlights, surefire, Duracell, Panasonic, rayovac. I want first hand experience from the different brands.
I will do one test for each cell and make a graph of results. Not sure what light to test though. Too bad I sold my 123 lights, no need to kill more than necessary.

Sadly I might have to use a different brand light as I don't think I have anything that runs off 3v from malkoff anymore

Talk to you guys later today.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING:twothumbs

INFRNL, your graphics are great.
You should certainly open a topic dedicated to this subject, as suggested by Modernflame.

Gene could use his graphics on the official website! haha

If I can give a suggestion, it would be:

- use strong blue for the hound dog model in high mode;
- use weak blue for the hound dog model in low mode;

use strong green for model hound dog 18650 in high mode;
use weak green for hound dog 18650 in low mode;

- the same kind of color variation for other flashlight models ... so anyone can easily distinguish models.

Thank you for your efforts.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly I might have to use a different brand light...

Heresy! (joking). Happy Thanksgiving.

- use strong blue for the hound dog model in high mode;
- use weak blue for the hound dog model in low mode;

use strong green for model hound dog 18650 in high mode;
use weak green for hound dog 18650 in low mode;

A good suggestion, especially since you've already taken the trouble to collect data on low beams, something I would never have done even if I had the equipment.:party:

WebHobbit

Enlightened
You know the 18650 HD really is the most useful and satisfying of all of my non pocket lights. It just NEVER dissapoints when I take it out nightly to see what my dog is barking at across the big farm fields around our house. --SPOILER - It's NEVER anything we can see!--

LOL

I really regret selling "mine" ---we still have the one my Wife has decided is HER'S.

Does Gene ever do any Black Friday Sales? I might just replace it!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really regret selling "mine" ---we still have the one my Wife has decided is HER'S.

Not sure about a Black Friday sale, but 15% off coupons are pretty easy to come by. Which beam tint does your wife's HD 18650 have? This could be an opportunity to try the other one! Of course, it is also a single cell light, which I know you prefer.

Just doing my duty as an enabler.

Cheers

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put my Hound Dog V1 with MD2 tube on my AR15 as a weaponlight.
It's very good in that role

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Not sure about a Black Friday sale, but 15% off coupons are pretty easy to come by. Which beam tint does your wife's HD 18650 have? This could be an opportunity to try the other one! Of course, it is also a single cell light, which I know you prefer.

Just doing my duty as an enabler.

Cheers

Heh

We have the cool version now....and yeah I have a couple of 15% off options already.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know the 18650 HD really is the most useful and satisfying of all of my non pocket lights. It just NEVER dissapoints when I take it out nightly to see what my dog is barking at across the big farm fields around our house. --SPOILER - It's NEVER anything we can see!--

LOL

Agree. It picks up where 6p ends

Strintguy

Enlightened
Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Hi all, I am on the fence about buying a HD head to mount on my MD 1.5. Will the difference in throw be dramatically different then my Nailbender P60 XP-L Hi ? Thanks.