Malkoff M31

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
9P with M31L(L) may be the travelling light I want since long time. No need for bringing charger or beeing worry for overdischarging. AA alkaline is available everywhere and cheap compared to CR123 (lithium batteries are not either allowed on airplanes, is that right?).

I am surprised M31 got even 20 minutes out of Alkalines.

I would think that M31LL would be a lot more friendly to AA Alkaline cells than M31 and of course still performing nicely with NiMH and Lithiums. Real interesting to see what the runtime should be.

I am real pleased with the M31 module but not quite sure what config to use it in.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to use a VME, don't forget the lens and gasket.

-Trevor

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
M31 in Surefire 9P host, with 2xAA Eneloops
M60 running on 2x18650
M60L running on 1x18650
M60LL running on 2x18650

I don't know if all M31s are like that but this one has nice creamy white tint. Not really warm but no sign of blue. The M60 I have is unfortunately more blue in real life than on the pic.
The M60L is the warmest module I have, the original hand-made with inscription.
M61LL is almost as good tint-wise.

The first comment I have is that M31 looks really more impressive than on the pic. It's truly a wall of light. Everything is flooded in it. Except that it's not less in intensity. Excellent lite for indoors (or short range outdoors for that matter), or in a TSHTF situation.

The second comment I have is that M31 goes through Eneloop batteries like !#$. My Eneloops are from 2006, I suspect they lost some capacity due to age, so I don't really trust the runtime I get. Anyway, bring lots of spares. Or primaries. I think I will try some higher capacity NiMH cells, like Maha Powerex 2700 mAh.
I always wanted Surefire or a clone off 2xAA so there it is. I thought about getting that new Surefire 2xAA lite but this is more appealing. Honestly, I wish that in addition to 2xAA it would run off 1x18650 but it appears that M61 already does that well... moot point.

M31 vs M60. Can see that the hotspot of M60 is much brighter with resulting greater throw.

M31_vs_M60.jpg

This is M31 versus M60L. The hotspot is about the same in brightness but the M31 is much greater in the area it covers. M31 is like M60L in some kind of "Flood" mode but retaining a very similar brightness level. (Usually flood makes it less bright)

M31_vs_M60L.jpg

Here is M31 versus M60LL. It's almost the same brightness as M60L due to running off 2 cells.

M31_vs_M60LL.jpg

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised M31 got even 20 minutes out of Alkalines.

I would think that M31LL would be a lot more friendly to AA Alkaline cells than M31 and of course still performing nicely with NiMH and Lithiums. Real interesting to see what the runtime should be.

I am real pleased with the M31 module but not quite sure what config to use it in.

The M31L is stated for 125lumens. The question is what regulated runtime one could expect with this and alkalines? I suppose 1-2 hours, may it be a fair guess? That would still be too short time for my desires, however.
If Gene will release a M31LL it should be 70-80lm or so. A such one will surely make a long regulated runtime with alkalines. :popcorn:

By the way: Recently I placed the Malkoff M60FL in my Solarforce L2r(2AA) host, and it works. It seems to be quite bright with fresh alkalines, but I will measure more tonight. Also I tried it in Solarforce L2i(3AAA), but that doesn't shine at all.
Therefore I consider to place the future M31L(L) in Solarforce L2r instead of Surefire 9P. L2r is tailstandable but has a reverse clicky without momentary on function. Advantage and disadvantage; I am still not sure how I will do...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
M31 vs M60 [...] M31 versus M60L [...] M31 versus M60LL [...]
A very good visual comparison, thank you. I love the characteristics of that M31 hotspot.

I'm crazy :twothumbs about my M31W (I've been waiting for this exact module to come into existence for well over a year). I really liked my warmish handbuilt M60 that I had used for the last year or two but the beam from the M31W is considerably better overall IMO. :twothumbs:twothumbs

It will be the only Malkoff I own for the forseeable future (the M60LL in my wife's car G2 doesn't count), and will be getting a lot of use outdoors in my SF D3 over the next few months. :huh:

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, many thanks for several super helpful posts here! This is one great thread about what looks like it should be a great product!

I am thinking of getting the M31L. (there is no M31WL).

My thinking: it should get between 2-3 hours of regulated output at around 120+ lumens on 2xAA. That's fine for many uses, pretty good for both indoors and outdoors, and emergency uses when the 123 battery form-factor is unavailable (or when traveling).

I think the runtime for the M31 is a bit on the low side for me.

Plus, if I REALLY need to use AA's for 220 lumen output, I will just use the 3xAA tube together with the M30, which I already have.

Another consideration, the bigger lumen outputs naturally go with the more throwy type of beams (like the M30 and M60), so it makes sense to emphasize the higher runtime of the M31L.

Finally, for emergency (or power outage, or travel) uses, runtime trumps higher, less efficient lumen outputs.

On the other hand, I don't really see much point to an M31LL, since you can get 80 lumens or so pretty easily with all sorts of AA flashlights, including ones at 1xAA. And you can get multi-mode flashlights at that (Fenix, JetBeams, etc.) to get REALLY low lumen outputs and insane runtimes.

By-the-way, I thought Paul from Maryland made some interesting points and I can see where he is coming from and why he is choosing not to get the M31. However, I think that the 1xAA form-factor is just inferior and unnecessary for key-chain type of carry, since the 1xAAA flashlights have developed to the point of being incredibly useful lights and more than capable of performing the key-chain EDC functions. Also, the Zinc-Oxide (?) rechargeable AA batteries are rather exotic and I would be surprised if a product like the M31 which is aimed at the mass AA-user market were to be made less efficient just to cater to the Z-O's.

Using the LiFePO4's is of course possible, but keep in mind their very low capacity (1/3 that of primaries, much less even than that of the RC123A's).

So for my needs, I think I will go ahead and snag one of the M31L's.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand, I don't really see much point to an M31LL, since you can get 80 lumens or so pretty easily with all sorts of AA flashlights, including ones at 1xAA. And you can get multi-mode flashlights at that (Fenix, JetBeams, etc.) to get REALLY low lumen outputs and insane runtimes.

The point is runtime, beam quality and SF lego. You can swap the module from one setup to another. Not to mention quality you get from Malkoff and whatever body you get, I like FiveMega.

I have M60LL in 3xAA FiveMega body and it rules. 90 hours runtime on Alkalines, 24 hours on Lithiums. And I can put it in other bodies, like 1x18650.

Point being something similar in M31LL would be good, since 2AA body is really better than the odd size of 3xAA.

Plus I think the beam shape of M31LL would be more useful than M60LL.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point is runtime, beam quality and SF lego. You can put M31LL type module either in 3P sized lite or 2xAA. In the former, it's a pocket rocket if there ever was one. An incredible amount of lite. And from 2xAA is equally impressive. Easily the brightest 2xAA I have ever seen.

Are you sure you mean the M31LL and not the M31? M31 is the one you tested above which is the brightest 2xAA.

The M31LL at 80 lumens or so would clearly be less bright than many existing (non-Malkoff) standard 2xAA and even 1xAA flashlights.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edited the typo...

The point is not just the lumens, it's the runtime, plus Malkoff quality, and the fantastic beam profile, and the tint, plus the quality of SF or other hosts, plus the ability to swap the module into other bodies using other cell configurations. Plus simplicity and reliability. No digital for me. on/off, 1 mode. That all taken together is what sells it to me.

BTW, there is nothing low in these LL modules, my M60LL is a very bright lite compared to some truly low-powered modules, but it still enjoys a decent runtime.

I think the beam profile of M31LL would be more useful than that of M60LL, I like a bit of flood in low-powered lites.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that the real advantage of an M31L, or a maybe to be M31LL, is use in a single cell light, either a CR123, or single cell AA running the Zn cell. Good output with long runtime. M31L is regulating at 1.2v , down from 1.8v for M31. That really is neat. Of course, reduced current to LED also means that the poor neglected Alkaline AA X2 might get some real attention, and that increases one of my +'s in a light, flexibility in battery choices.

Bill

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this discussion! :thumbsup:
Several times I have changed the Malkoff dropins between my Surefires and tonight I moved M61LL from black 6P to yellow G2. The M60LL I had in the G2 I moved to Solarforce L2r. Because the very low frequence PWM at low and mid with the Solarforce dropins annoys me too much, I want to get another LEDs to the Solarforces, so let see if M60LL will be good. Will make a few tests later.
I am still not sure what will be my final decisions, and what will be with a future M61L or M61LL. But it's fun to try these things out!

ash211

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M31 L is out-how long on a single 123 Batt?

What is the run time on these?

Thanks

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Malkoff M31 L is out-how long on a single 123 Batt?

We already have a thread on this. It was not necessary to start another one. I'm merging them.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind for some 90% of flashlight use, 80+ lumens is overkill. The beam pattern of the M61 and M31 series are far superior for most uses, being predominately in close quarters.

An M31LL would, hypothetically, drop to 40-80 lumens and still be highly practical in terms of useful light in most situations and have a long run-time, which is more practical and functional for most people.

The lower draw makes it viable for both a single cell CR123 and a x2 AA host, making it very attractive for emergency kits as well as daily home and work use.

As to whether not an M31LL will ever make it off the forum thread has yet to be seen, however. :popcorn:

-Trevor

Has this been tried before?

Just received my FM 18500 body tube. Added a 6P head, tail and M31. This one is powered by 2 x 2/3A. Good size, safe batteries and a whole lotta light.

Next, I replaced the 2 x 2/3A's with a single NiZn AA. Still very impressive quality and quantity of light.

When I was a young child playing with flashlights I never imagined sooooooo much light coming from a single AA battery. This is truly amazing.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input flashy bazook, BUT, I DO see a need for a M31LL! But thanks for letting ME know what I need and don't need. LOL! :poke:

(Just kidding, I hope that is understood!)

My .02 FWIW YMMV