Malkoff M61L is here!

Axion

Enlightened
Just as an FYI, R4 and R2 are efficiency bins. The higher the letter/number the more efficient the emitter is. So by definition an R4 emitter will always be more efficient than an R2 emitter. An R5 emitter will be even more efficient.

Now what you may have heard is that R2 lights throw better. This is really a mis-nomer. What people really mean is that XR-E lights throw better than XP-G lights. It's just so happens that many of the most recent XR-E lights are R2 bin emitters and most recent XP-G lights are R5 or R4 for the neutral white ones.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I just ordered mine. I have an old SF E2E that hasn't seen any love in a long time so I ordered the VME head from JSBurly's as well as the VME123F twisty 1 cell body. Since the M61L will work fine to 3.4 volts, 1 RCR123 should work just fine in the single cell body and give decent rutime at 175 lumens! Now, the wait.....

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to hold out for a warm or neutral M61L or M61LL. Guess I'll need another G2, or 2. Or maybe this is the excuse I need to get a C2.:devil:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as an FYI, R4 and R2 are efficiency bins. The higher the letter/number the more efficient the emitter is. So by definition an R4 emitter will always be more efficient than an R2 emitter. An R5 emitter will be even more efficient.

At the risk of sounding pendantic, those are flux bins not efficiency bins. The bins are separated by flux at a given current. It's not flux at a given power. That's a key difference because Cree doesn't bin for Forward voltage (Vf) and Vf varies by more than the flux difference between bins.

An R4 or even and R3 flux binned emitter could actually give more lumens/watt than an R5 binned emitter when Vf variance is considered. At the same Vf the higher flux bin is always more efficient. Allowing for variance in Vf it's probable that the higher flux binned emitter is more efficient than the lower binned emitter. It's not certain though. The only certainty is the higher binned emitter is brighter.

neoseikan

Enlightened
At the risk of sounding pendantic, those are flux bins not efficiency bins. The bins are separated by flux at a given current. It's not flux at a given power. That's a key difference because Cree doesn't bin for Forward voltage (Vf) and Vf varies by more than the flux difference between bins.

An R4 or even and R3 flux binned emitter could actually give more lumens/watt than an R5 binned emitter when Vf variance is considered. At the same Vf the higher flux bin is always more efficient. Allowing for variance in Vf it's probable that the higher flux binned emitter is more efficient than the lower binned emitter. It's not certain though. The only certainty is the higher binned emitter is brighter.

Aha.. That's a good point. Lower vf is quite important now.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my M61L today and love it. Just slightly dimmer than my M61, great white tint.

It's been installed in my Surefire 9P :twothumbs

Reaper

Enlightened
Just received my M61L earlier today but I still have to wait until dark before I can really try it out. I hope to bring out my other Malkoff's and compare them all side by side, but the last time I did something like that the community security got called by neighbors.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I hope to bring out my other Malkoff's and compare them all side by side, but the last time I did something like that the community security got called by neighbors.

Dont worry about that, your doing nothing wrong, the security officers will LOVE your Malkoff gear, and Gene will get new customers!!! :D

At the 2008 SHOT show, the security gaurds at the CPF GTG in my room loved all the lights, it made their night. :thumbsup:

Reaper

Enlightened
Just returned from the dog walk with the Malkoff's. There's nothing that I can add that everyone doesn't already know except for a few things that pertains to just me. The M61 has the lumens over the others but because of the slightly shorter run-time I wouldn't grab it over the others. M61L is just a bit less brighter but with 5 hrs vs. 2 hrs - I go with the hours. The M61LL should be here tomorrow (?) so I'll see how that stacks up but since I wanted the M61LL for run-time alone - I really do not see the need to compare lumens and brightness.

What is surprising is how the M30F stands with the others. If fed with fresh rechargeables or even primaries, the beam and brightness is nothing to sneeze at. AA's gives it a shorter run-time but since recharegables are cost effective-I don't care. The M30F is what I use around the house already and I don't see where the other modules will change that.

However, it's when I go out that one or another of the modules will go with me. M61L or M61LL ?

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Reaper. Hmm.. so what you're saying is you still really love the XR-E with 20 degree optic/beam (M30F)? Interesting. I'm really wanting a M61WLL bad, but for $69 plus shipping, trust me, I will be very patient. I don't throw money around on lights like alot of you guys do around here. ;)

Who knows, maybe one day soon they'll have optics for the XPG that fit inside of Gene's brilliant patent-pending heat sink.

Please let us know what you think of the M61LL when it arrives.

Cheers! :twothumbs

Reaper

Enlightened
Bright Light,

Eventhough 2 modules will generate the same output, the floodier beam will always be slightly shorter in throw but gives me a wider view overall which is what I perfer. Taking a walk, doing repairs, or any general usage the smaller concentrated hotspot will bug me no end. I love softer, wider beams that lets me see more at one glance without the need for moving the beam here and there.

I hope to see the M61LL today or tomorrow. I'll give it a try and then decide where it fits in my always changing EDC lineup. With it's sheer run-time on 2x123 or 3x123, it'll most likely be one of the EDC's but not used generally. The M30F still has that title.